British Speedway Forum

All 7 Rising Stars announced - Friday 18 October

10 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Did the riders get a say in where they went ? Or was it just like rider allocation like back in the day, if I was a rider lacking in confidence the last place I’d want to go is a track like kings Lynn, nothing wrong with kings Lynn but you have to be on it to ride there 

Yeah but if you can conquer Lynn you can ride anything ....

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Slow Burners is an apt description for some them.

You don't get many riders that have ridden for five years becoming an "overnight sensation"..

Jason Doyle is one I can think of, but he was a reserve in a much more competitive league at the time, so was well in front of the current RS level lads...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

How are some of these guys still classed as rising stars? 22/23 years old been riding championship 5/6 years now nothing really rising about it really.

If you make the age limit younger / reduce how long you can be a rising star, then you'll weaken the system. Many fans think these riders are too weak for the Prem already, if you had to promote the next batch earlier, they'll be struggling more.

• Like 1

If Cairns is in line to be Belle Vue's "rising star" when he turns 16, is that not harsh of Belle Vue to protect their use of Mulford?

If Belle Vue have already decided Mulford is only getting half a season, would it not be fair to allow him to sign for another team & potentially get a full season?

No guarantee someone else would've picked him, on which case Belle Vue would've got him anyway.

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

If Cairns is in line to be Belle Vue's "rising star" when he turns 16, is that not harsh of Belle Vue to protect their use of Mulford?

If Belle Vue have already decided Mulford is only getting half a season, would it not be fair to allow him to sign for another team & potentially get a full season?

No guarantee someone else would've picked him, on which case Belle Vue would've got him anyway.

I question whether or not the whole thing is just a waste of time.You have either got “it” or not.

• Like 1

2024 averages of the 2025 "rising stars"

Leon Flint 3.66 (4.55)

Jordan Jenkins 3.65 (4.83)

Jason Edwards 3.55 (4.23)

Ashton Boughen 2.74 (3.13)

Luke Killeen 2.61 (3.83)

Sam Hagon 1.77 (2.31)

Jake Mulford 1.63 (2.07)

RS not picked

Dan Gilkes 3.31 (4.05)

Joe Thompson 2.17 (2.33)

Looking at these stats, it's surprising Belle Vue & Leicester chose to protect their "rising stars" plenty of stronger options available. Even more surprising Flint & Jenkins weren't picked up sooner.

Edwards actually looks a good choice as he rode at 6 all season, then Jenkins as he rode half the season at 6.

While many say Joe Thompson was no where near RS standard & I got laughed at for suggesting he ride for Leicester, statistically he did better than Hagon!

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

His average this year is 6.87….. he may be in a heat leader spot but that is not an average of a true heat leader….I expect a minimum 8 average before anyone is a real heat leader.

Years ago that would've been the case, but there were only 13 riders with an average over 8 last season. With 9 clubs there should be 27 heat leaders.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Riders develop at different rates ... Jenkins looks as though he could make excellent progress ...we shall see.

World Champions and world class riders 22/23 of age: Michael Lee Champion 22, Peter Collins Champion 22, Kelly Moran 4th in 79 world final 19, Tommy Knudsen 3rd  81 world final 20, Kelvin Tatum 3rd 86 world final 22, I could carry on all night! Take Connor Coles and Jack Smith last night, they looked a pair of complete novices. I don't know how long he's been riding but Connor is 30 years of age. Jack is 24. Do you think these two will eventually develop? They have rode most of their careers in the NDL. Now because the CL is so weak they find themselves riding in the CL outclassed on a regular basis, only beating riders who themselves are of NDL standard. The CL, we are getting told will most likely be weaker again next season !!! I bet the entrance fee won’t reflect on that though!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Nothing unlucky about it, it was their choice, if they've made the wrong pick, they can only blame themselves.

You really believe that it is done on a pick basis.Not in my opinion,as I said earlier Lynn would have wanted Jenkins or Flint and that is a fact.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

What happens if Jake Mulford has a great start to the season, doubling his average and becomes the darling of the Aces fans due to his all action style, how do they justify dropping him. Same at Poole where young Cairns is rumoured to be going.