British Speedway Forum

All 7 Rising Stars announced - Friday 18 October

9 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

Would think Edwards and Boughen should be allowed back in the RS scheme.  They haven't exceeded the criteria, and only rode at No.6 because they hadn't got a RS place.

But Jenkins shouldn't be allowed back.  He's exceeded the criteria and had his 25% discount.   To allow him to drop back in is opening it to fiddling.

I wouldn't call it fiddling. Look at the Champ averages of Jenkins, Flint & Edwards, there's not a massive amount of difference. I think it'd be a shame for Jenkins of he was "barred" from being a RS because of one better season in the Prem, while two similar riders can remain as a RS.

Edited by szkocjasid

Protection was taken on their 2024 Rising Stars by the following clubs:

Belle Vue – Jake Mulford

Leicester – Sam Hagon

Oxford – Luke Killeen

I can understand those decisions

The remaining Rising Star selections for 2025 were made in the following order:

Birmingham – Jason Edwards

King’s Lynn – Ashton Boughen

Ipswich – Jordan Jenkins

Sheffield – Leon Flint

Bit surprised with first pick of the remaining riders Birmingham went for Edwards. Probably even more surprised Flint was last pick.

Just now, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Spot on, it’s quite funny all the ‘experts’ on here who said Jenkins wouldn’t be at Ipswich 😂

I guess all the "experts" didn't expect Birmingham & Lynn to pass up on the opportunity to sign Jenkins.

I think it's a surprise, as it means other clubs didn't want him.

Some of those picks are baffling to me.

Ipswich and Sheffield getting Jenkins & Flint when not in a favourable pick position is baffling, Both clubs will be delighted with their Rising Star selections.

3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Protection was taken on their 2024 Rising Stars by the following clubs:

Belle Vue – Jake Mulford

Leicester – Sam Hagon

Oxford – Luke Killeen

I can understand those decisions

The remaining Rising Star selections for 2025 were made in the following order:

Birmingham – Jason Edwards

King’s Lynn – Ashton Boughen

Ipswich – Jordan Jenkins

Sheffield – Leon Flint

Bit surprised with first pick of the remaining riders Birmingham went for Edwards. Probably even more surprised Flint was last pick.

Was it a truly an open pick for the remaining four or did the promoters/riders reach an ‘agreement’ on who will ride where. we will never know.

3 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I guess all the "experts" didn't expect Birmingham & Lynn to pass up on the opportunity to sign Jenkins.

I think it probably means the rising star scheme doesn't work like it says it does. No way King's Lynn are passing on Jenkins and Flint and picking Boughen based on his form towards the end of the season!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TTT said:

Ipswich and Sheffield getting Jenkins & Flint when not in a favourable pick position is baffling, Both clubs will be delighted with their Rising Star selections.

i suspect its no coincidence that they are the two heavily sponsored clubs with the most financial clout

im happy with boughen though 

his potential ceiling is higher than any of the others if it can be fulfilled

9 minutes ago, TTT said:

theyre probably not picks in that sense, there will be some form of agreement. poole always seemed to have the best reserves under the old scheme despite having the last pick, I don't think its as clear cut as they make it. 

Did the riders get a say in where they went ? Or was it just like rider allocation like back in the day, if I was a rider lacking in confidence the last place I’d want to go is a track like kings Lynn, nothing wrong with kings Lynn but you have to be on it to ride there 

20 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Do you honestly think Birmingham and Lynn "passed up" on the opportunity to sign Jenkins?  Or do you think they were told "Keep off Jenkins and let him go to Ipswich, and Uncle Phil will sort you out with a little reward in other areas of the team"?

Sheffield have been very cute. By having Gilkes at No.6 on 3.26 and Flint as rising star, they come in exactly on 40.00.   Had they kept Gilkes as Rising Star, they couldn't have fitted Flint in on 3.56 as they would have been 0.3 over the limit.   However it makes a mockery of the Rising Star system as Flint will get protected rides, whereas Gilkes, who needs the protected rides, will get thrown to the Wolves.

• Like 1