British Speedway Forum

All 7 Rising Stars announced - Friday 18 October

18 minutes ago, ouch said:

Brown envelopes have clearly changed hands especially in the Jenkins/Ipswich case. They’ve put their argument forward (better terms £££) and been given commercial reasons to “poach” him even though he wasn’t a rising star this year, but can be now he’s sign for Ipswich. 

Completely incorrect.

1) Ipswich wasn't Jordan's first choice.
2) In the end Jordan didn't have an option NOT to be a rising star. If he was picked - as he was - he had to be in the scheme.

5 minutes ago, Aries said:

I’m not sure this is the case. Arch works for him or close family so he’ll know. It’s true Tru picked up the sponsorship for a discount from Sackers when they stopped sponsorship. 

There’s an awful lot of myths written on here regarding Guy and it’s frustrating to read. Despite popular belief, he hasn’t a clue who Louis is signing or who he intends to chase (if he did I’d know the full line up every year before it was announced!), he doesn’t “do the deals” contact riders or stump up extra cash if Louis asks him to help get a superstar over. He pays his sponsorship money every winter, and that’s his involvement over lock stock and barrel. Chris Louis does everything at the club, everything. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Protection was taken on their 2024 Rising Stars by the following clubs:

Belle Vue – Jake Mulford

Leicester – Sam Hagon

Oxford – Luke Killeen

I can understand those decisions

The remaining Rising Star selections for 2025 were made in the following order:

Birmingham – Jason Edwards

King’s Lynn – Ashton Boughen

Ipswich – Jordan Jenkins

Sheffield – Leon Flint

Bit surprised with first pick of the remaining riders Birmingham went for Edwards. Probably even more surprised Flint was last pick.

Seems obvious to me you don't get first pick etc.At the last home meeting at Lynn the two riders who Lynn wanted as a rising star was either Flint or Jenkins and we have neither.

for me the RS system needs to be scrapped, the list is getting weaker and weaker every year, 

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Spot on, it’s quite funny all the ‘experts’ on here who said Jenkins wouldn’t be at Ipswich 😂

Great Shout, all rumours were he was at Lynn, but for me that's a great start with our team building at Ipswich, by all accounts Boughan is gutted he was chosen by Lynn , but i would assume Chris Harris will be at Lynn now looking after Ashton. Surprised by Flint at Sheffield, obviously he was overlooked by all other 6 teams, which sadly for me somes up where Leon is with his Speedway at the moment. Big season for Leon now and i would expect the rumours of Gilkes at 6 and Rowe at 2 for Sheffield will be confirmed next week.

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

for me the RS system needs to be scrapped, the list is getting weaker and weaker every year, 

Is it though? For me it's always been weak. Only really Brennan has come out of the system and done ok. 

But yes, it should be scrapped, it hasn't delivered what it was meant to do & that get more homegrown into the main team. Most just end up going backward and stuck in the Championship going nowhere.

The hope was to find the next Bewley & Lambert but that just isn't happening.

The system should just be adopted by the Championship. 

In the Premiership, I think Brits U23 should get a 25% reduction every year unless they establish a 6 average. That would work better imo.

27 minutes ago, siggysigalos said:

Great Shout, all rumours were he was at Lynn, but for me that's a great start with our team building at Ipswich, by all accounts Boughan is gutted he was chosen by Lynn , but i would assume Chris Harris will be at Lynn now looking after Ashton. Surprised by Flint at Sheffield, obviously he was overlooked by all other 6 teams, which sadly for me somes up where Leon is with his Speedway at the moment. Big season for Leon now and i would expect the rumours of Gilkes at 6 and Rowe at 2 for Sheffield will be confirmed next week.

Got to feel sorry for Boughan getting stuck at KL.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, siggysigalos said:

Flint wasnt overlooked though was he, some money has been exchanged somewhere (same as Jenkins). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Logically it should get weaker as the top riders progress & the next batch won't be at their level yet. I don't think that's a reason to get rid of it.

I think this year looks more even, which is ideal, all the riders want to ride Prem & it not like they're gonna get lapped, they'll all be competitive.

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Is it though? For me it's always been weak. Only really Brennan has come out of the system and done ok. 

But yes, it should be scrapped, it hasn't delivered what it was meant to do & that get more homegrown into the main team. Most just end up going backward and stuck in the Championship going nowhere.

The hope was to find the next Bewley & Lambert but that just isn't happening.

The system should just be adopted by the Championship. 

In the Premiership, I think Brits U23 should get a 25% reduction every year unless they establish a 6 average. That would work better imo.

Even if it hasn't unearthed the next Bewley / Lambert, doesn't mean it's a failure imo. It's allowed clubs cheaper reserves, saved on air fares, given fans more Brits to cheer on in their teams, plus given young Brits opportunities I'm the top division they might not otherwise have gotten.

I know many aren't fans of it, but I fully support the RS system. Feel it should be adopted by the Champ as well as not instead of the Prem though.

43 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Only downside of that is a 6.01 rider getting dropped for a 5.99 rider due to the massive average differences. But I agree there could be more done to help. Perhaps former "rising stars" continue to get reductions 25% - 20% - 15 % etc till they end up on 2.5% reductions like the rest of the Brits?

Would certainly help a rider like Drew Kemp, who could find it very hard to get a Prem spot as he did slightly better than Jenkins, Flint etc.

3 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

In the top league 100%..

No disrespect to them but not many add too much value to the racing, (which a good many measure a speedway meeting on more than any result)..

If it is a 'cost issue' to not have two "Number 6's" then run with six rider teams...

These lads can then ride at second string in the 2nd Div, and No1 in the NDL...

1 hour ago, siggysigalos said:

As I said earlier Jenkins was wanted by Lynn,so it seems it isn't done on a pick basis where last gets first pick etc.

4 minutes ago, tellboy said:

As I said earlier Jenkins was wanted by Lynn,so it seems it isn't done on a pick basis where last gets first pick etc.

And neither should it be. Telling a 23 year old rider that he’s going here or there and he doesn’t have a choice, is utterly ridiculous. I’m not a fan of the scheme but if they insist on having it, cobble together the list and let all clubs fight it out amongst themselves and let the riders choose where they want to go. It doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that. 

12 minutes ago, tellboy said:

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

And neither should it be. Telling a 23 year old rider that he’s going here or there and he doesn’t have a choice, is utterly ridiculous. I’m not a fan of the scheme but if they insist on having it, cobble together the list and let all clubs fight it out amongst themselves and let the riders choose where they want to go. It doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that. 

This is what I don't understand, if the four remaining clubs agreed to ignore the "ranking" and let the riders go where they want, why is there a "ranking" in the rulebook in the first place? Couldn't these 4 clubs vote to get rid of it & allow "rising stars" to be picked like the top 6 in each club?

36 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Totally agree with you,a rider shouldnt be forced to go anywhere other than to the club he wants if they want him that is.Why don't the rule makers just come out and say it as it is,and it is not done as on a pick basis.

• Like 1