British Speedway Forum

All 7 Rising Stars announced - Friday 18 October

5 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Did the riders get a say in where they went ? Or was it just like rider allocation like back in the day, if I was a rider lacking in confidence the last place I’d want to go is a track like kings Lynn, nothing wrong with kings Lynn but you have to be on it to ride there 

quite why youve singled out kings lynn is odd. I'm sure Boughen has done plenty of laps of the place

Sheffield are super smart and cheeky for getting Flint at RS. He's had a poor season at RS but we know he can do better. Hagon is OK for me at Leciester. I think him and Stewart get along well. I don't think it makes a huge difference with the finishing order unless one of them suddenly springs into a main body rider. 

Edited by FishersGate
Spelling

14 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Do you honestly think Birmingham and Lynn "passed up" on the opportunity to sign Jenkins?  Or do you think they were told "Keep off Jenkins and let him go to Ipswich, and Uncle Phil will sort you out with a little reward in other areas of the team"?

Sheffield have been very cute. By having Gilkes at No.6 on 3.26 and Flint as rising star, they come in exactly on 40.00.   Had they kept Gilkes as Rising Star, they couldn't have fitted Flint in on 3.56 as they would have been 0.3 over the limit.   However it makes a mockery of the Rising Star system as Flint will get protected rides, whereas Gilkes, who needs the protected rides, will get thrown to the Wolves.

Great to hear wolves are coming back😀

6 minutes ago, SaddlebowRoad said:

and one he lives five minutes from and can practice on almost 24/7

might do him good 

It might, if he can get over his confidence issue then you could have a match winner, Anyone can practice and be good at any track, racing with 3 others is another matter all together, kings Lynn is a good track with good home track advantage because of its clay base it’s 100% grip all the time and it can be an intimidating place if you’re not fully on it and as it’s clear to see boughen isn’t that guy at the moment 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

55 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Protection was taken on their 2024 Rising Stars by the following clubs:

Belle Vue – Jake Mulford

Leicester – Sam Hagon

Oxford – Luke Killeen

I can understand those decisions

The remaining Rising Star selections for 2025 were made in the following order:

Birmingham – Jason Edwards

King’s Lynn – Ashton Boughen

Ipswich – Jordan Jenkins

Sheffield – Leon Flint

Bit surprised with first pick of the remaining riders Birmingham went for Edwards. Probably even more surprised Flint was last pick.

Yeah, I’m sorry but I don’t believe it for a second. 

58 minutes ago, TTT said:

Some of those picks are baffling to me.

Ipswich and Sheffield getting Jenkins & Flint when not in a favourable pick position is baffling, Both clubs will be delighted with their Rising Star selections.

Allowances have clearly been made especially in the Jenkins/Ipswich case. They’ve put their argument forward (local sponsorships etc) and been given allowance to “retain” him even though he wasn’t a rising star this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTT said:

Ipswich and Sheffield getting Jenkins & Flint when not in a favourable pick position is baffling, Both clubs will be delighted with their Rising Star selections.

Rob Lyon was openly telling supporters he wanted Jenkins at rising star next year. The Lynn fans on here have said as much. There is no way on earth Lynn and Birmingham come to that, have seen Jenkins on the list and gone “nah, we’ll go for these instead” LOL. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SaddlebowRoad said:

i suspect its no coincidence that they are the two heavily sponsored clubs with the most financial clout

im happy with boughen though 

his potential ceiling is higher than any of the others if it can be fulfilled

I can’t speak for Sheffield, but you seem keen on spouting this b0llocks along with @ouch   “Moneybags” this, “chequebook” that. A complete myth where Ipswich are concerned. The main sponsor doesn’t pay anywhere near what people think he does, in fact, he pays less than the previous main sponsor before him. Yes, the club are fortunate to have a couple of local, very loyal “partner” sponsors also which helps, but they don’t pump in vast sums either. 

• Like 1

Do RS's all get paid the same points money? If not then that could be an explanation for some of these picks.

Boughen who's confidence is shot to pieces ends up at a track that you need a lot of confidence on is the most baffling one to me.

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Did the riders get a say in where they went ? Or was it just like rider allocation like back in the day, if I was a rider lacking in confidence the last place I’d want to go is a track like kings Lynn, nothing wrong with kings Lynn but you have to be on it to ride there 

Going purely off Jenkins’ comments on the Ipswich site, I’d say they almost certainly do have a say. 

Edited by Aries

1 hour ago, TTT said:

£££££££££££££

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

Sheffield are super smart and cheeky for getting Flint at RS. He's had a poor season at RS but we know he can do better. 

We’ve heard this about Flint for the last how many years? He’s simply not progressing at all. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I can’t speak for Sheffield, but you seem keen on spouting this b0llocks along with @ouch   “Moneybags” this, “chequebook” that. A complete myth where Ipswich are concerned. The main sponsor doesn’t pay anywhere near what people think he does, in fact, he pays less than the previous main sponsor before him. Yes, the club are fortunate to have a couple of local, very loyal “partner” sponsors also which helps, but they don’t pump in vast sums either. 

not at all

those two clubs have the biggest sponsor, simple as that. a sponsor that my club had in 2017 but were unable to keep hold of let's not forget

there is certainly no envy from me you will always have the richer and poorer clubs, thats sport

but the best riders will go to those clubs, thats just the way it is 

40 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There’s no shame in being a moneybags club, if such a thing can even exist in UK speedway. Enjoy it, own it but don’t deny it. It’s not meant as an insult. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Allowances have clearly been made especially in the Jenkins/Ipswich case. They’ve put their argument forward (local sponsorships etc) and been given allowance to “retain” him even though he wasn’t a rising star this year. 

Brown envelopes have clearly changed hands especially in the Jenkins/Ipswich case. They’ve put their argument forward (better terms £££) and been given commercial reasons to “poach” him even though he wasn’t a rising star this year, but can be now he’s sign for Ipswich. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SaddlebowRoad said:

not at all

those two clubs have the biggest sponsor, simple as that. a sponsor that my club had in 2017 but were unable to keep hold of let's not forget

there is certainly no envy from me you will always have the richer and poorer clubs, thats sport

but the best riders will go to those clubs, thats just the way it is 

I’m not sure this is the case. Arch works for him or close family so he’ll know. It’s true Tru picked up the sponsorship for a discount from Sackers when they stopped sponsorship.