British Speedway Forum

Annual General Merry Up 2025

6 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

The importance of the AGM has lessened to a massive extent in recent years. Now it is only about tidying u loose ends. Most teams are there not thereabouts by now.

Needs more than loose ends tidying up. Needs a mass overhaul in my opinion

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Things must be decided as Harris has signed 2 contracts for next year. One of those could be abroad as he had 3 club contracts last season but the other one will be in the uk so would indicate that the set up is already known.

Not quite. Some riders can/will be signed in any eventuality of rules and points limit. Nobody though, will be signing the majority of their riders until the rules and points limit has been confirmed at the AGM. as I’ve said before, some things have been loosely agreed prior to the AGM in the past, only for them to change at the AGM itself. 

I still to this day, don’t understand why they leave the AGM so late. It should be done as soon as the last competitive fixture has been ridden IMO and I haven’t heard one decent argument why that isn’t the case. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not quite. Some riders can/will be signed in any eventuality of rules and points limit. Nobody though, will be signing the majority of their riders until the rules and points limit has been confirmed at the AGM. as I’ve said before, some things have been loosely agreed prior to the AGM in the past, only for them to change at the AGM itself. 

I still to this day, don’t understand why they leave the AGM so late. It should be done as soon as the last competitive fixture has been ridden IMO and I haven’t heard one decent argument why that isn’t the case. 

The AGM is not just about agreeing points limits. Clubs have to submit their season's accounts and declare their commitment to complete a full season in 2025. It takes more than a couple of days after the last meetings to complete a full set of accounts, including debts, credits, bills to be paid etc

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SteveLyric2 said:

The AGM is not just about agreeing points limits. Clubs have to submit their season's accounts and declare their commitment to complete a full season in 2025. It takes more than a couple of days after the last meetings to complete a full set of accounts, including debts, credits, bills to be paid etc

I hate doing the Poland comparison thing, but they seem to manage all of that and get their houses in order before we’ve even had our conference! Some Polish teams are completed before our AGM starts. 

Edited by Aries

1 minute ago, Aries said:

I hate doing the Poland comparison thing, but they seem to manage all of that and get their houses in order before we’ve even had our conference! Some Polish teams are completed before our AGM starts. 

It's amazing what can be achieved when finance is rarely an issue! Polish clubs still need to be given a licence to run in their chosen leagues next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveLyric2 said:

It's amazing what can be achieved when finance is rarely an issue! Polish clubs still need to be given a licence to run in their chosen leagues next season.

What’s their finance got to do with it? Do they not still have to submit their accounts also? What’s in those accounts is irrelevant. You’re making excuses. Poland is a professionally run league, it’s been proved time and time again that isn’t the case here. There’s no excuse for having the conference in mid November. If clubs can’t submit their accounts sooner than that then it sums up the woefully run sport in this country. Birmingham needing time is an issue, but they’ve held conferences before and kept places open for clubs needing more time so that’s not really an excuse either. 

Edited by Aries

37 minutes ago, Aries said:

What’s their finance got to do with it? Do they not still have to submit their accounts also? What’s in those accounts is irrelevant. You’re making excuses. Poland is a professionally run league, it’s been proved time and time again that isn’t the case here. There’s no excuse for having the conference in mid November. If clubs can’t submit their accounts sooner than that then it sums up the woefully run sport in this country. Birmingham needing time is an issue, but they’ve held conferences before and kept places open for clubs needing more time so that’s not really an excuse either. 

Polish clubs are often refused licences. What that says to me is the clubs may not always be professionally run, but the governing body is a lot more robust.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

Polish clubs are often refused licences. What that says to me is the clubs may not always be professionally run, but the governing body is a lot more robust.

Exactly. Absolutely! The British season officially ends on 31st October and the AGM usually follows within 2 weeks thereafter.

Edited by SteveLyric2