British Speedway Forum

Poole V Oxford. KO Cup Final. 16/17 October 2024

8 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

When's that 

Don't you remember? Granted it was a fair few years ago, when you threatened to close down because all of the 🐀had deserted the sinking 🏴‍☠️🛳️

Wasn't it when Cecil put the club up for sale and couldn't off load it?

Edited by IainB

1 hour ago, IainB said:

Don't you remember? Granted it was a fair few years ago, when you threatened to close down because all of the 🐀had deserted the sinking 🏴‍☠️🛳️

Wasn't it when Cecil put the club up for sale and couldn't off load it?

You had to go back 15 years??!! :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

They maybe don’t see it as profitable ,certainly some Clubs struggled in the past. The Team Berwick we’re running a couple of seasons ago weren’t cheap and crowds levels were nothing special.Hence stopped.

But surely the super Poole supporters would come to see the developing talent? Or are Poole just happy to steal from the pot without contributing to the future of British Speedway?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lbw said:

If u can please read my post correctly i did put the best club not the best team when comparing with the Polish Ekstraliga champions Lublin!

Team or club, my point is valid. Which is the better attended? Which has the biggest turnover? Which makes the most profit? Which is the more successful at the highest level? Which is the more attractive to riders? Which pays better? 

I’m posting this purely to fish, as I know the Poole fans will still try and argue against the obvious! 

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

They maybe don’t see it as profitable ,certainly some Clubs struggled in the past. The Team Berwick we’re running a couple of seasons ago weren’t cheap and crowds levels were nothing special.Hence stopped.

Oxford run an NDL team and it’s extremely profitable. Close to 1,000 people turn up each time a meeting is held. If Oxford can do it, surely ‘the best club in the world’ can make it a success. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Oxford run an NDL team and it’s extremely profitable. Close to 1,000 people turn up each time a meeting is held. If Oxford can do it, surely ‘the best club in the world’ can make it a success. 

It’s their perogative.” This “ best Club in World “is just bickering among the usual suspects.Its certainly a success at Oxford but I’m sure you will find that is not the case at some other Clubs.Poole run a successful business model, why would they change it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Team or club, my point is valid. Which is the better attended? Which has the biggest turnover? Which makes the most profit? Which is the more successful at the highest level? Which is the more attractive to riders? Which pays better? 

I’m posting this purely to fish, as I know the Poole fans will still try and argue against the obvious! 

When u fish do u use ground bait?

22 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It because they run it as a business to make the max profit they don’t throw money at GP riders topping up their pocket money.They have already explained that a number of times.

I understand that completely, not denying that's the right thing to do at all. My (tongue in cheek) reply was to a comment that Poole fans are the best in the world.

Following that premise then they should all turn up to NDL matches & the Ford's would make an even bigger profit!

Honestly I'd have to say Oxford have the best fans, they turn up in sufficient numbers to run teams in all 3 leagues, plus put up with a team manager who apparently tried to hinder them. Massive credit to the Oxford fans* from me.

* Before someone says anything, not the ones who verbally or physically abused opposing fans or riders of course, not singling them out, sadly all clubs will have a few bad eggs.

5 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I understand that completely, not denying that's the right thing to do at all. My (tongue in cheek) reply was to a comment that Poole fans are the best in the world.

Following that premise then they should all turn up to NDL matches & the Ford's would make an even bigger profit!

Honestly I'd have to say Oxford have the best fans, they turn up in sufficient numbers to run teams in all 3 leagues, plus put up with a team manager who apparently tried to hinder them. Massive credit to the Oxford fans* from me.

* Before someone says anything, not the ones who verbally or physically abused opposing fans or riders of course, not singling them out, sadly all clubs will have a few bad eggs.

Before the last paragraph, was going to say I don't think Vinnie thinks they have the best fans! ;)

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

But don't Oxford own their stadium, whereas Poole have to pay extortionate rent to a rogue landlord every time that they want to put a meeting on. If there was a justified business case to run an NDL team then I'm sure they would.

Edited by daz9100
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, daz9100 said:

But don't Oxford own their stadium, whereas Poole have to pay extortionate rent to a rogue landlord every time that they want to put a meeting on. If there was a justified business case to run an NDL team then I'm sure they would.

you need to find some space in Poole  and build  a track and be in control of everything . you have the fans to support such a venture .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

you need to find some space in Poole  and build  a track and be in control of everything . you have the fans to support such a venture .

No chance actually in Poole but there is an existing small track (Colesseum like) Matcham Raceway out Ringwood way, with development potential. I think the idea has legs, for a community stroke fan led facility. 

Edited by Bitza

37 minutes ago, daz9100 said:

Once again I 100% agree with this premise.

As before I was commenting that if Poole fans are the "best in the world", then they'd turn up in sufficient numbers to support & make a profit racing in the NDL too.

I'm not expecting them to race NDL, just suggesting a previous poster wasn't correct with their opinion of Poole's fan base.

55 minutes ago, daz9100 said:

No, Kevin Boothby secured a 10 year lease when he took over the running of the stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitza said:

No chance actually in Poole but there is an existing small track (Colesseum like) Matcham Raceway out Ringwood way, with development potential. I think the idea has legs, for a community stroke fan led facility. 

Aren't they trying to build housing at Matchams though?

• Like 1