British Speedway Forum

Vinnie Foord - is he too dangerous?

2 hours ago, j2ohh said:

Also there are people on here who would like a longer life and not be taken out on a racetrack or a main road later on in life .

I'm sorry but your post is ridiculous to say the least.  Concentrate on your own club a little more than posting on threads with the Pirates .

Have resisted posting on this thread till now but..... VF does ride like he stole it, does look like he's on the ragged edge, and does witness quite a few offs from close up. But he is a highly entertaining rider, I'm not a great fan of his reactions to opposition fans but can see where it comes from. He will improve with time/experience, and referees will be well aware of his reputation. But the real question is "can he afford to carry on racing" at the rate he currently wrecks his bikes (he reminds me of the early years of The Who). 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Bitza said:

Have resisted posting on this thread till now but..... VF does ride like he stole it, does look like he's on the ragged edge, and does witness quite a few offs from close up. But he is a highly entertaining rider, I'm not a great fan of his reactions to opposition fans but can see where it comes from. He will improve with time/experience, and referees will be well aware of his reputation. But the real question is "can he afford to carry on racing" at the rate he currently wrecks his bikes (he reminds me of the early years of The Who). 

Ive thought this from his very early days, nice lad, over rides and lacking some basics from his skill set. Will need to land a fairly hefty sponsor to keep up with the repair bills. 

Whatever happens Vinnie is not responsible it is the promotors who ultimately have the say on who is put on track and far far too many take gambles on riders who are not ready. I completely understand why Vinnie took the opportunity at Poole but is it doing his longer term reputation any good?

10 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Ive thought this from his very early days, nice lad, over rides and lacking some basics from his skill set. Will need to land a fairly hefty sponsor to keep up with the repair bills. 

Whatever happens Vinnie is not responsible it is the promotors who ultimately have the say on who is put on track and far far too many take gambles on riders who are not ready. I completely understand why Vinnie took the opportunity at Poole but is it doing his longer term reputation any good?

Disagree slightly on the last bit vinnie must be ready considering he’s doubled his starting average, it shows he’s comfortably scoring points. He is a bit rash mind I think the thing what springs to mind is you have 4 laps in the race to pass someone you don’t have to do everything in one lap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

On that basis was Luke Killeen ready for Championship last season.Saw him crash many times.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bloom89 said:

Disagree slightly on the last bit vinnie must be ready considering he’s doubled his starting average, it shows he’s comfortably scoring points. He is a bit rash mind I think the thing what springs to mind is you have 4 laps in the race to pass someone you don’t have to do everything in one lap. 

Its a handy enough achievement but makes me think he is an even harder signing next year. Yes there will be riders giving the CL a miss and very few riders moving up from NDL so might be spots available but is Foord on a 4.00 better value than Scott or Springer on a 2.00?  

37 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Its a handy enough achievement but makes me think he is an even harder signing next year. Yes there will be riders giving the CL a miss and very few riders moving up from NDL so might be spots available but is Foord on a 4.00 better value than Scott or Springer on a 2.00?  

I would compare him to the other riders around him in the averages, and yes, I think he is good value against them, albeit a risk.

If he can reign in the riding a little, he will continue to improve his average and pick up more points just by crashing less.

The risk is he crashes and hurts himself. I'd say he's worth the risk. Speedway is inherently a risky sport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noelinho said:

I would compare him to the other riders around him in the averages, and yes, I think he is good value against them, albeit a risk.

If he can reign in the riding a little, he will continue to improve his average and pick up more points just by crashing less.

The risk is he crashes and hurts himself. I'd say he's worth the risk. Speedway is inherently a risky sport.

Have seen many riders as”harem scarem” as Vinnie starting out in their career.He has learn  too though.Time will tell.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 4:45 PM, 1Tsunami said:

The reason  Newcastle Speedway will not return is that the Stadium Owners - (Reuben family)- have removed every thing Speedway including the track, the fence, the pits, the electrics so they look like they will never have speedway while they own the stadium. In addition all the track staff for the dogs hate speedway and used to destroy things every week after the dogs on the Saturday night. When I used to go to the track early on Sunday mornings to arrange the erection of the air fence, my first job was find what fence tension wires had been cut and needed replacing. I  used to report the damage to Alan Hedley who told the stadium management who did not respond. Equipment used to be hidden around the track which we had to find before we could get the stadium ready for speedway that night. The irony is Rob used to be stadium track staff before and during his riding for us and was suspected of being involved with the others on damaging the track and equipment.

thank you for your reply, I'm really sorry - you'd think the owners would be happy for the extra rent and food/ drink outlet income. Always been a Teesside/ Middlesbrough fan but enjoyed Brough

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Don’t think he will have a problem signing up for next year( whoever it is)

• Like 1

On 10/12/2024 at 6:16 AM, 1Tsunami said:

Unfortunately Yes.  Tried to ride Lubos off his bike at Stoke coming off the 4th bend and then came around and stood on his bike dangerously revving his bike pointing at Lubos being attended on the ground by track staff and medics. Crazy guy copying his father and egged on by one of the promotion and crowd. Not the only incident Diamond fans hate him of course. 😉

Rob Grant junior was not wired right in the head, I remember something happening with Scott Smith (Aussie one) at Newcastle and Smith saying Grant was a nutcase - for Scott Smith to say that about someone else then something must of been off!

That style he had as well is undoubtedly the worst style I have ever seen on a bike. Stuck his left leg out as far as he could, could never work out whether it was to block anyone trying to go underneath him or just a horrible style or both.

• Like 1