British Speedway Forum

Vinnie Foord - is he too dangerous?

2 hours ago, SteveLyric2 said:

Your last paragraph should also apply to the small group of very hostile Oxford 'fans' - many of whom were older and should know better- who cheered and gesticulated when he hit the airfence in front of them which undoubtedly provoked his reaction.

It's the first time i've ever witnessed stadium security being called to attend to their behaviour.

So it’s ok for Foord to celebrate when an ambulance was on for Killeen

He is a loser and will go nowhere with his attitude …. Modern day Bridger

Edited by Gavan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

How old is Vinnie? 17? A young lad who is fearless, aggressive, but lacks the skillset currently to match his ambition. Certainly one for the future and Poole need to hang onto him for next season if possible.

Yes have him back so he can maim the other riders so you win 

Awful attitude as well 

1 hour ago, Phil The Ace said:

Not True, when we was there for play off final security were called to us lot and got very aggressive. but luckily they was no match for us lot who sent them packing

Been watching Football Factory too many times I think.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

He needs a well experienced top rider to sit him down and read the riot act to him .

He has plenty of guts but needs to channel it at the right time.

No idea how he was not excluded in heat two.

From where we were all sitting, to the left of the refs box, it looked to all of us that Tobias led having come under Killeen, with Vinnie following through. Killeen was in third on the outside and tried to go for a gap that wasn’t there. His front wheel then caught on Vinnie’s foot rest sending him down. None of us thought for a moment that Foord would be excluded and the ref thought the same. It was no surprise to us when the white light came on. 

Having watched it back it’s more of a 50/50, but Killeen was always the likely one to go as he was behind. Yes, it was a hard move by Foord but nothing you don’t see in any Extraleague Polish meeting. No quarter was given. Killeen thought he had to try and go for a gap, and Foord thought you are not getting back around me. Think some are being swayed by Greg Blair’s opinion on BSN. 

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Yes have him back so he can maim the other riders so you win 

Awful attitude as well 

I don't think he has an awful attitude. It looked to me like the Oxford fans were giving him stick, and he was giving it back with a smile on his face.

I like him, and I think he has a lot of potential. I do agree that he is a bit of a bull in a china shop at the moment, however, and needs to calm down a bit.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I don't think he has an awful attitude. It looked to me like the Oxford fans were giving him stick, and he was giving it back with a smile on his face.

I like him, and I think he has a lot of potential. I do agree that he is a bit of a bull in a china shop at the moment, however, and needs to calm down a bit.

Of course he doesn’t have an awful attitude. He is a very likeable young lad who loves to chat and interact with all fans in the pits before the meeting. Remember the riders were all pumped up to the nth degree last night. Vinnie has absolutely the right attitude for the sport. But currently not the full skill set to back it up.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Having watched James Grieves for 20 odd years (whose first act in league speedway was to wipe out frede schott as I recall) I don't mind the pantomime villain stuff, it has mostly disappeared as riders have become "professional". Giving grief to Eriksson, schott, fisher etc and getting a bit back was part of the entertainment. 

But not when another rider is prone on the track and an ambulance being called, that's the only bit I had issue with personally. 

• Like 1

Just watched the Vinnie Foord/Jody Scott crash. What on earth was Vinnie Foord meant to do when Scott turned left on him and Foord was already there? They just got hooked together. Not dangerous riding just a coming together. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just watched the Vinnie Foord/Jody Scott crash. What on earth was Vinnie Foord meant to do when Scott turned left on him and Foord was already there? They just got hooked together. Not dangerous riding just a coming together. 

Tried to explain this last night, watch it frame by frame, Scott is the one who turns into foord, once they got tangled up the crash was inevitable but too many people are either caught up in the emotion or just bias to see what actually happened 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I actually thought he was less at fault for that one (where he was excluded) than for the first one (where he wasn't).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Tried to explain this last night, watch it frame by frame, Scott is the one who turns into foord, once they got tangled up the crash was inevitable but too many people are either caught up in the emotion or just bias to see what actually happened 

Surely you realise it's more than just a co-incidence that these crashes keep involving him, though. Do all these riders turn into Vinnie and nobody else? There's plenty of other situations where somebody has turned into them (slightly, that's all it was) and they have the ability to sense the danger and take the necessary precautions. Vinnie just goes at 100% and (to be honest) doesn't seem to care about the consequences. As the guy who started the thread said, he's had six crashes in his last three meetings. That's not just somebody being unlucky is it?

• Like 1

he has lots of speed bravery and aggression, seems to me that he needs a mentor to help him harness that and remove the dangerous side because as its stands he is a danger to others 

and that mentor needs to advise him on his off bike behaviour too as some of that stuff last night was unacceptable and not befitting of a professional speedway club

but underneath it all could be a very good rider in the future if the right mentor can be found 

• Like 1

absolute gash about it being Scott's fault...at Poole you start turning left just about on the starting line or close after, unless you are going for the dirt line then you carry the straight another ten yards or so, Vinnie had gained speed out of bend 4 tried go up the inside for a gap that wasn't clearly there, instead of shutting off and biding his time he nailed Scott. Dress it up as much you like but there's the facts, its not the first time a young lad has made a mistake with over exuberance and certainly won't be the last.

I think I saw Vinnie's debut for Eastbourne against the Cubs a few seasons back. He looked an exciting prospect who sometimes over rode his skills set and often crashed.

Two seasons with the Cubs and I have seen him mature. He actually said in an interview this season that he "accepted that sometimes second or third is good enough rather than to crash trying to win every race"

It appears last night the occasion may have got to him and he reverted back to type.

All he needs is a strong mentor to calm him down and channel his ability as a rider.

12 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Should there be some sort of speedway exam (like a driving test) riders should take before being allowed to race against other riders?

I've raised this question before elsewhere on this forum, it seems that as long as you have the kit and insurance you're free to go out and cause as much mayhem and destruction as you like. Other forms of motor sport require you to pass some sort of test/exam before gaining a licence. Maybe some kind of penalty point system should be introduced?

Edited by IainB

54 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Surely you realise it's more than just a co-incidence that these crashes keep involving him, though. Do all these riders turn into Vinnie and nobody else? There's plenty of other situations where somebody has turned into them (slightly, that's all it was) and they have the ability to sense the danger and take the necessary precautions. Vinnie just goes at 100% and (to be honest) doesn't seem to care about the consequences. As the guy who started the thread said, he's had six crashes in his last three meetings. That's not just somebody being unlucky is it?

What happens in other crashes is irrelevant to the point about last night crash with Scott,,the fact remains Scott turned into him, yes he is wild but every crash has to be judged on its own merit, with you’re logic foord should be excluded for every race he is in where there is a crash 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2