British Speedway Forum

Vinnie Foord - is he too dangerous?

Having watched Vinnie Foord crash six times in his last three meetings (and take out two air fences), is he too dangerous? Should there be some sort of speedway exam (like a driving test) riders should take before being allowed to race against other riders? He’s going to cause someone serious harm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I don't think a Speedway exam would do any good, I'm sure he could ride round safely in practice. But against two opponents in a grand final, every rider is going to race harder, go for gaps they normally wouldn't etc.

The only crash I've seen was his one with Jody Scott, I'd have excluded Vinnie, but wouldn't call that dangerous riding.

Not seen enough of him to comment on his other crashes.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Having watched Vinnie Foord crash six times in his last three meetings (and take out two air fences), is he too dangerous? Should there be some sort of speedway exam (like a driving test) riders should take before being allowed to race against other riders? He’s going to cause someone serious harm.

are you from the government ,and your here to help. 🤣

• Like 2

He appears to have arrived in to adult Speedway with something of a reputation from the Youth ranks of being a bit of an "indian rubber man" e.g he falls off a lot but bounces very well.

He's certainly got no fear from what I've seen and is frigteningly quick.

He probably has the raw speed and talent to go a very very long way BUT to do that he'll need to stay fit and he'll need to learn race-craft and race-craft is not having the throttle on the end stop for 4 laps!

I've read he has guidance from David Norris, a great rider and a fantastic charachter but again, I'm not always convinced great riders are the best mentors.

How do you Coach someone who is a natural and a bit of a maverick is always a challenge in any Sport as you can't coach out what comes naturally without affecting that natural ability.

A bit of a conundrum really.

The one thing he can control though, and which should be taught him very quickly; is his behaviour respect and decorum OFF the track, as that will get him in to more bother potentially if he can't rein it in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HGould said:

He appears to have arrived in to adult Speedway with something of a reputation from the Youth ranks of being a bit of an "indian rubber man" e.g he falls off a lot but bounces very well.

He probably has the raw speed and talent to go a very very long way BUT to do that he'll need to stay fit and he'll need to learn race-craft and race-craft is not having the throttle on the end stop for 4 laps!

I've read he has guidance from David Norris, a great rider and a fantastic charachter but again, I'm not always convinced great riders are the best mentors.

How do you Coach someone who is a natural and a bit of a maverick is always a challenge in any Sport as you can't coach out what comes naturally without affecting that natural ability.

The one thing he can control though, and which should be taught him very quickly; is his behaviour respect and decorum OFF the track, as that will get him in to more bother potentially if he can't rein it in.

Your last paragraph should also apply to the small group of very hostile Oxford 'fans' - many of whom were older and should know better- who cheered and gesticulated when he hit the airfence in front of them which undoubtedly provoked his reaction.

It's the first time i've ever witnessed stadium security being called to attend to their behaviour.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, HGould said:

That's weird that he has guidance from Norris. When he was interviewed I thought he reminded me a bit of him from the way he spoke.

How old is Vinnie? 17? A young lad who is fearless, aggressive, but lacks the skillset currently to match his ambition. Certainly one for the future and Poole need to hang onto him for next season if possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveLyric2 said:

Your last paragraph should also apply to the small group of very hostile Oxford 'fans' - many of whom were older and should know better- who cheered and gesticulated when he hit the airfence in front of them which undoubtedly provoked his reaction.

It's the first time i've ever witnessed stadium security being called to attend to their behaviour.

And that had nothing to do with Vinnie taking out Killeen and then celebrating in front of the Oxford fans as the ambulance was coming out on the track. It set the tone for the whole evening, absolutely classless, and the atmosphere would have been totally different.

What did you expect the Oxford fans to do? Say: "jolly good old chap, what a great a show you're putting on."

Edited by BackInTheDHSS
  • Like 2

Right now he is raw and fully full of teen spirit!....however he is either going to hurt himself or someone else, last night he made the same mistake three times in the very same place, lifting coming out of bend two.

He'll either learn very quickly or someone will teach him the hard way, lets be honest he nailed two riders last night but do that to some seasoned pro's who have a memory like a elephant and he'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I like his enthusiasm and careless attitude, just fine tune it a little.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Odds On said:

Right now he is raw and fully full of teen spirit!....however he is either going to hurt himself or someone else, last night he made the same mistake three times in the very same place, lifting coming out of bend two.

He'll either learn very quickly or someone will teach him the hard way, lets be honest he nailed two riders last night but do that to some seasoned pro's who have a memory like a elephant and he'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I like his enthusiasm and careless attitude, just fine tune it a little.

100% someone will take him out, he will be riding with a marked card on his back if he carrys on like he did last night. 

1 hour ago, SteveLyric2 said:

Not True, when we was there for play off final security were called to us lot and got very aggressive. but luckily they was no match for us lot who sent them packing

I  can see a Roy Keane moment in the future , just waiting for the right moment for payback . could end up being the modern day Jack Millan , he was taking chances with other riders lives . the day will come and he will not know anything about it or who dealt it . 

4 minutes ago, j2ohh said:

I  can see a Roy Keane moment in the future , just waiting for the right moment for payback . could end up being the modern day Jack Millan , he was taking chances with other riders lives . the day will come and he will not know anything about it or who dealt it . 

Total rubbish.t