British Speedway Forum

Oxford "Rebels" 1972-73.

I was checking thru team members of my team Oxford who rode for the "Rebels" during my first two years following the sport.

Those no longer with us are Garry Middleton, Oyvind S. Berg, Colin Gooddy, Ken McKinlay, Svein Kaasa and later additions and regulars in 1973 Gordon Kennett, Bob Kilby, John Dews and Malcolm Ballard.

Those surviving are stalwart Rick Timmo, Norman Strachan and Preben Rosenkilde from the 1972 squad.

Certainly made me realise how the passing years have taken many of my "heroes" from that era.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Youhave2minutes said:

Unfortunately we are now the old timers🤣

Of course we are all advancing down a particular road which is unavoidable but I've quickly glanced at the year 1972 and starting line ups of teams appear to have a few that are still with us...my team Oxford have so few now with us? If I'm mistaken nearest rivals Swindon all of their 1972 team are still with us for example?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Of course we are all advancing down a particular road which is unavoidable but I've quickly glanced at the year 1972 and starting line ups of teams appear to have a few that are still with us...my team Oxford have so few now with us? If I'm mistaken nearest rivals Swindon all of their 1972 team are still with us for example?

Funny thing is, when you made your original post, I immediately checked the Dons - and only Ronnie, Tommy, and Slim Jim are no longer with us.

Yeah, of the Swindon team, David Ashby is the only one, and he wasn't a regular that year.

Until last week, all of Hackney's 1972 regulars were with us, and then we lost Laurie Etheridge.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Ipswich from their 1972 squad no longer with us are John Louis, Sandor Levai, Billy Sanders and Olle Nygren.

Edited by steve roberts