British Speedway Forum

Birmingham Speedway

The H Man

Just read it. It's nothing surprising. Club aren't making enough money and need more support. It's great that they aren't throwing in the towel but it feels like a slow closure of the club. Phil Morris should be trying everything in his power to try and get more investors and business's to support Birmingham. It would be a great shame to lose them as I feel they would never come back unless someone had very very very deep pockets. What can we do? Well I'm going to try get down there for the Leicester meetings, every little helps I guess. Fingers crossed they can run next year.

• Like 2

That’s a bit of a grim read but not totally unexpected, I thought when they had the same thing in the speedway star a couple of weeks ago they were struggling financially then it’s never a good sign. Unfortunately if they manage to come to the tapes next season I wouldn’t be 100% confident of them completing the season. 

31 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

That’s a bit of a grim read but not totally unexpected, I thought when they had the same thing in the speedway star a couple of weeks ago they were struggling financially then it’s never a good sign. Unfortunately if they manage to come to the tapes next season I wouldn’t be 100% confident of them completing the season. 

Need to be 2nd tier... (At best)..

• Like 2

I'm surprised they lasted the season tbh. They clearly shouldn't have paid to keep a rider in the team for the whole year who was contributing very little and it was inexplicable that he kept appearing every week. It's difficult to feel any sympathy for the directors. 

Edited by IainB
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

It’s obvious the crowd levels aren’t going to massively increase at Birmingham (they are not really increasing throughout the sport).Tolley doesn’t seem to know whether he is coming or going.Talks a strange game IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s obvious the crowd levels aren’t going to massively increase at Birmingham (they are not really increasing throughout the sport).Tolley doesn’t seem to know whether he is coming or going.Talks a strange game IMO.

Yeah definitely if they couldn’t make it work in the championship then they had no hope moving up a division imo, yes they might’ve got a share of the Eurosport money but with that came better riders higher costs flying in the poles every week that’s more expenditure seemed a strange move to go up when he constantly banged on about how much money it was costing in the championship. Seems to mirror Newcastle under grant constantly had the begging bowl out put poor sides out each season and there’s only one way this is going to end. 

• Like 3

Sad to hear but expected.

Fair play to Tolley and co giving it a go but it was never going to work out at Premiership level.

You need to have a winning side in order to get fans to turn up and that's never going to happen at Birmingham when you've got big players like the Bates family in the Sport snapping up top riders whilst very well run clubs like BV and Ipswich snap up other quality riders.

• Like 2

Releasing the financial issues will only make signings for next season even harder (and there will be deals done at other clubs provisionally already) so once again Brum will be slow out of the tapes.

Crowd levels have improved at a level most clubs would be ecstatic with 10-20% but Birmingham needed 100% increase in gates to make things pay, no person in their right mind would think that achievable, although nobody in their right mind would have a, taken over Birmingham b, taken the side into the Prem and not expected a big loss.

Im not implying there is anything untoward going on but injecting funds into the following season when there isn't a clear declaration to run feels a bit of a hard sell to even the most devoted of supporters.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IainB said:

I'm surprised they lasted the season tbh. They clearly shouldn't have paid to keep a rider in the team for the whole year who was contributing very little and it was inexplicable that he kept appearing every week. It's difficult to feel any sympathy for the directors. 

Assume you mean Pawlicki?   Both Poles and Milik were on point money, no guarantees!     

Edited by The H Man
  • Like 1

Sad but sadly inevitable.

Hemmed in by the Stadium Owners to a Monday

by BSPL to only being able to ride in PL on a Monday

by Stadium future that no one can guarantee beyond next September it seems

by 3 Football Clubs all attracting near full houses in PL / CL and astonishingly League 1

by a vibrant Test and County Cricket ground

by an increasigly diverse populous the vast majority of which have no affinity with Speedway

by a Sport with an aging support base whose aging to slow death is only beaten by the Conservative Party

Cannot and won't fault the commitment and enthusiasm of the current Promotion or the one that preceded it, nor those who fought so hard to bring the Sport back to the City early this milenium....

Sadly I think this is the end, and Tolley and Co join the growing list who can at least say "better to have tried and failed, than not to have tried at all" at least we've had 3 seasons we may not have otherwise have had!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Makes it even more embarrassing for the promotion...why on earth did they stick with Pawlicki? 

May be because his scores didn't cost that much in wages? 😃

leave you to ask the promoter/team manager that one!  ;) 

I was just pointing out, that he wasn't paid silly money just to turn up! 

• Thanks 1