British Speedway Forum

Where are they now?

E I Addio

Does anyone have any news on what retired riders are doing now? 
Adam Shields seems to be doing well as a personal trainer in Oz and as far as I know Dave Watt was working as a carpenter of shopfitter. Last I heard Robert Mear was still digging up roads but doing quite well on continental grass tracks.
What about the likes of Stuart Robson , Hans Andersen, Steve Johnson, or Tony Rickardson and those like them? Anybody know what they are up to these days ? I think we all take a bit comfort from knowing that various old favourites are doing ok in their retirement.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 7:31 PM, E I Addio said:

Adam Shields seems to be doing well as a personal trainer in Oz and as far as I know Dave Watt was working as a carpenter of shopfitter. Last I heard Robert Mear was still digging up roads but doing quite well on continental grass tracks.
What about the likes of Stuart Robson , Hans Andersen, Steve Johnson, or Tony Rickardson and those like them? Anybody know what they are up to these days ? I think we all take a bit comfort from knowing that various old favourites are doing ok in their retirement.

Hans Andersen is Nicki Pedersen’s assistant Danish team manager.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2024 at 1:34 PM, bigdave said:

If you are on Facebook, have a look at the Speedway Friends Group. Karl Fiala has posted hundreds of "Where are they now?" posts where ex riders answer the type of questions you are asking.

Karl’s the man

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I used to get notifications but no longer?

I'd say that's a quirk of Facebook not Karl. He is continually posting on many and various Facebook pages.

He has put up 25 posts on his own page today, let alone his posts on other pages!

Edited by norbold

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I used to get notifications but no longer?

I'm friends with Karl, and between his own posts, and all his groups, he keeps us busy!

8 hours ago, chunky said:

I'm friends with Karl, and between his own posts, and all his groups, he keeps us busy!

I'm a member of the Karl Fiala Group page but no longer receive notifications and haven't for a while now?

This one is not so much where are they now but 'what they did next.'

I have been clearing out my elderly cousin's house recently and came across a George Medal which was awarded to his grandfather during WW2. There is a list of recipients on a Wikipedia page. As it turned out, he isn't on there, but I found the name of a Lionel Van Praag (World Champion 1936)  who won the medal whist serving in the Australian Air Force around the same time:

On 26 January 1942 Van Praag was the co-pilot of a Douglas DC-2 which was attacked by two Japanese fighters and forced down into the Sumba Strait, Indonesia. The aircraft soon sank, leaving Van Praag, his pilot Flying Officer Noel Wilson Webster, and two other crewmen in open water. Webster gave his life-jacket to a crewman who could not swim, while the other was semi-conscious, having been injured in the crash. Webster and Van Praag managed to drag them safely to shore, but were in the water for thirty hours, during which time they beat off several attacks by sharks.[168]

Edited by tocha
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tocha said:

I came across this news item on BBC Essex the other day:

Is this the same person who rode for Sheffield in the 70's? Apart from the surname missing an 's' - could be a typo -he resembles him.
He would be 78 now.

bengt larsson.jpg

Can't say for certain, but my gut feeling is that it is not the former speedway rider.

Adam Shields seems to be doing well as a personal trainer in Oz 

Adam was world kettle ball champion a few years ago.

8 hours ago, M.D said:

Adam was world kettle ball champion a few years ago.

He certainly looks super fit. I’m pleased for him, because speedway wasn’t particularly kind to him and I think he could have done better if injuries hadn’t come at the wrong time. Good rider.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2024 at 9:24 AM, tocha said:

I came across this news item on BBC Essex the other day:

Is this the same person who rode for Sheffield in the 70's? Apart from the surname missing an 's' - could be a typo -he resembles him.
He would be 78 now.

bengt larsson.jpg

Definitely not, unfortunately the speedway Bengt Larsson is now in a care home in Sweden as he has dementia. 

10 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

Definitely not, unfortunately the speedway Bengt Larsson is now in a care home in Sweden as he has dementia. 

Sorry to hear this. Bengt was one of the most entertaining riders at Sheffield.

Stuart Robson works fitting out peoples lofts. Nice guy Stuey.

• Like 1

I'd imagine most retired Aussies go into construction here in Australia as construction in Australia is booming and pays extremely well, plenty more than it does in the UK!

I know Craig Watson is a chippy in Sydney and Frankie Smart is a rigger in Perth.

5 hours ago, Pinny said:

I'd imagine most retired Aussies go into construction here in Australia as construction in Australia is booming and pays extremely well, plenty more than it does in the UK!

I know Craig Watson is a chippy in Sydney and Frankie Smart is a rigger in Perth.

If I recall Troy Butler also worked/works in the construction industry?