British Speedway Forum

Speedway Farce - Play Off

7 hours ago, DBP said:

Don't have a problem with the play offs but it should be a separate tournament called league shield as an example sure someone could come up with a better title

The team that finishes top of the league should be crowned league champions

Rugby league also has play offs but at least the team finishing top gets a trophy 

Basketball takes the same sensible approach.

I have always called them the P.Offs  (and you can guess what my P means. Totally ridiculous driven only by the TV folks who want to televise the two meetings that decide who is the " top team" in the season.

Decided on wet tracks in early winter, teams patched up with gusts due to injuries, all decided on a one off (or two off) set of meetings. Fine if its the KO Cup thats a knock out meeting, but teams performances over the season count for nought. With postponements and racing on off nights the meetings are a nightmare to organise. Rule fiddling to get fixtures P.Offs meetings agreed before the league fixtures are completed,  Leicester's boglands track always seems to feature, Poole demanding that they have the second leg at home ...all causing fixture planning havoc and frankly devaluing the entire season jsut to win the P.Offs. 

If your are unlucky enough not to qualify for the P. Offs (its not easy with only 7 teams starting out in the race) then you season finishes some time in August .

They'll never go cos' the TV people demand that they have a P.Off to make good viewing .. but why not still have League Champions, and the P.FFs could be renamed the TV Trophy or summat similar??

• Like 1

Unfortunately Britain has gone Totally North American now.......Yep, they started this.....Baseball, Hockey, Basketball you name it, all have P.offs (yes I like that).....

While they do have Trophy's etc for the winners of the leagues, if you ask anyone, who won the league last year, I'll guarantee you very few would remember. But if you ask, for example, who won the "Stanley Cup" (Hockey) last year most would know.

And that is through all junior leagues also.......

Personally, I prefer winner of the league.....over and done with....However, the p.offs are here to stay, brings in good money!   AND, if p.offs were just another trophy, it would have no meaning and therefore NOT a money maker.

Edited by andout

9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

If they need the hoo-ha finale, why not just have it as a one off Grand Final with 1st vs 2nd at a neutral stadium??

3rd vs 4th home & away for something like the Craven Shield??

5th - 7th have a creative 3 team tournament, once at each track??

They were gonna try that with the jubilee league, but changed their mind, probably because they thought they wouldn't get a good crowd for a neutral venue.

I don't think 1st & 2nd would be happy that everyone gets an extra home match except them!

The problem without the play offs is the season can be done really early for several teams or a dominant team can limp over the line with little to no fan fare.

september is often a wet month so it almost needs a mini play off to decide the title end of August.

UK speedway in the top flight would be virtually redundant without TV so for me I’m happy to go along with the play offs like other sports do.

Works for me. 

4 hours ago, stevebrum said:

The problem without the play offs is the season can be done really early for several teams or a dominant team can limp over the line with little to no fan fare.

september is often a wet month so it almost needs a mini play off to decide the title end of August.

UK speedway in the top flight would be virtually redundant without TV so for me I’m happy to go along with the play offs like other sports do.

Works for me. 

The first paragraph is exactly what happened this year anyway, the top four were basically confirmed after two months of the season. This year is a great example of how the league system would have worked with it going down to the last meeting of the season to determine the champions 

• Like 1