British Speedway Forum

Speedway Farce - Play Off

I have never been a fan of using play off's in speedway to decide a league winner, but I have been a lone voice on here over the years.  I accept it may have worked in the past to offer some good finals, let's be honest it relies on luck as much as anything.   Let the league winner be the team that finish's top of the league. 

Right now we are seeing 'luck' being the factor in the play offs. Luck that the weather plays nicely, and come late Sept/Oct in the UK it's not something you would put money on.   Instead of the league winner being the team that have been consistent from Apr-Sept, that team could have bad luck in one match and lose the title, so the league winner to some degree relies on luck in the play-off's.  Recent years we have seen play off matches full of guest riders, and riders who only sign on once their lucrative Polish leagues finish.   The biggest farce of all this season, there's only seven bloody teams in the league.

If we the TV deal insists on this farcical play off situation, with just seven teams let's just make it that the top two in the league contest a play off final and let that be at the first week in September when we may still have acceptable weather. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

I have never been a fan of using play off's in speedway to decide a league winner, but I have been a lone voice on here over the years.  I accept it may have worked in the past to offer some good finals, let's be honest it relies on luck as much as anything.   Let the league winner be the team that finish's top of the league. 

Right now we are seeing 'luck' being the factor in the play offs. Luck that the weather plays nicely, and come late Sept/Oct in the UK it's not something you would put money on.   Instead of the league winner being the team that have been consistent from Apr-Sept, that team could have bad luck in one match and lose the title, so the league winner to some degree relies on luck in the play-off's.  Recent years we have seen play off matches full of guest riders, and riders who only sign on once their lucrative Polish leagues finish.   The biggest farce of all this season, there's only seven bloody teams in the league.

If we the TV deal insists on this farcical play off situation, with just seven teams let's just make it that the top two in the league contest a play off final and let that be at the first week in September when we may still have acceptable weather. 

Agree totally

26 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

Fitting a maximum of 14 matches in from April to September start does prove rather tricky doesn't it? 

Just 24 weeks from 01/04 to 01/9, (23 weeks ex SON this year), to cram in 14 matches....

Cannot be done given that impossible equation..

If only Einstein was still alive....

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

To be honest it gets more farcical every season.Everything rosy though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheReturn said:

I have to agree with all of that.

15 hours ago, TheReturn said:

Don't think you're a lone voice..

• Like 1

Very Well Said,

Such a sad way how this season is ending.

Not a good look for our Sport, far to late in the year for any Finals like this.

I sort of see why they did it, but with only 7 Teams it is a bit of a farce.

• Like 1

As a Leicester fan we're a bit of a Johnny come lately to the pay off scene. The 2 seasons we have been involved have been a bit of a farce with our previous final appearances happening on a Tuesday night in Glasgow and at King's Lynn in Novemeber!

In another life I was a Cov fan and we had some great pay off nights and the only dodgy one I can remember was a weather effected pudding of a track against Poole at Brandon.

As a neutral with no skin in the game, not really caring when they take place, I think they're pretty good as it doesn't really matter to me when I sit on my sofa and watch it. But as a follower of a team involved it can make it a bit of a lottery. Track conditions, 2nd leg "advantage", rider availability and the number of races (heat 10 call off) all come into play with the possible pressure from TV companies to ensure meetings take place when perhaps they shouldn't.

This year has been the biggest farce yet, with the rigging of the Semi's, the weather and it possibly ain't over yet as it's currently pishing it down outside in Leicester as I write this on Tuesday morning with no let up in sight today!

Shortening or lengthening the season is not an answer, you could have held the pay offs in July with the same result. Is the "pay off" of 2 (fixed) semis and a final really worth the devaluing of every league meeting that takes place throughout the whole season? For me, probably not anymore.

Edited by IainB

7 minutes ago, IainB said:

As a Leicester fan we're a bit of a Johnny come lately to the pay off scene. The 2 seasons we have been involved have been a bit of a farce with our previous final appearances happening on a Tuesday night in Glasgow and at King's Lynn in Novemeber!

In another life I was a Cov fan and we had some great pay off nights and the only dodgy one I can remember was a weather effected pudding of a track against Poole at Brandon.

As a neutral with no skin in the game, not really caring when they take place, I think they're pretty good as it doesn't really matter to me when I sit on my sofa and watch it. But as a follower of a team involved it can make it a bit of a lottery. Track conditions, 2nd leg "advantage", rider availability and the number of races (heat 10 call off) all come into play with the possible pressure from TV companies to ensure meetings take place when perhaps they shouldn't.

This year has been the biggest farce yet, with the rigging of the Semi's, the weather and it possibly ain't over yet as it's currently pishing it down outside in Leicester as I write this on Tuesday morning with no let up in sight today!

Shortening or lengthening the season is not an answer, you could have held the pay offs in July with the same result. Is the "pay off" of 2 (fixed) semis and a final really worth the devaluing of every league meeting that takes place throughout the whole season? For me, probably not anymore.

Wasn't that a KO cup final though? They put a load of sawdust down so it could go ahead as it was on the last few days of October!

id be looking to get play offs completed before kids go back to school personally 

should be achievable with 12 home meetings (less in div 2)

then run cups/trophy in sept & oct

the trouble this time of year is that tracks struggle to dry out with shorter days and lower temperatures 

massive gaps for teams before finals isnt good

• Like 1

Don't have a problem with the play offs but it should be a separate tournament called league shield as an example sure someone could come up with a better title

The team that finishes top of the league should be crowned league champions

Rugby league also has play offs but at least the team finishing top gets a trophy 

27 minutes ago, LisaColette said:

Wasn't that a KO cup final though? They put a load of sawdust down so it could go ahead as it was on the last few days of October!

Was it? It was a few years ago

1 hour ago, IainB said:

Was it? It was a few years ago

I was thinking of 2003. Unless I have gone too far back 😂 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

We had many great meetings between us, it was a terrific rivalry.

Seems like Poole vs Oxford is turning into a similar rivalry! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LisaColette said:

I was thinking of 2003. Unless I have gone too far back 😂 

Seems like Poole vs Oxford is turning into a similar rivalry! 

Wasn't the first leg of "The Bomber Final" rain effected?

https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/7267/bees-poole-play-final-september

Edited by IainB

I think the time has come to bin them off at this point, play offs have done more harm than good for the sport as a whole. Devaluing a whole seasons worth of meetings for a 2 legged final is ridiculous, especially when there are 7 teams in the premiership now. A team finishing lower than halfway in the league table winning the league? Absolute nonsense. 

• Like 2

If they need the hoo-ha finale, why not just have it as a one off Grand Final with 1st vs 2nd at a neutral stadium??

3rd vs 4th home & away for something like the Craven Shield??

5th - 7th have a creative 3 team tournament, once at each track??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SaddlebowRoad said:

id be looking to get play offs completed before kids go back to school personally 

should be achievable with 12 home meetings (less in div 2)

then run cups/trophy in sept & oct

the trouble this time of year is that tracks struggle to dry out with shorter days and lower temperatures 

massive gaps for teams before finals isnt good

Been saying this for years now, the play offs should be on the bank holiday weekend at the end of August and then run Cup competition/individuals after that weather permitting. 

• Like 1