British Speedway Forum

2025 World championship dates....OFFICIAL

7 hours ago, PaulBrummie said:

We were planning to experience a GP in Torun next year so a bit disappointed it is not on the calendar and we can't do the Speedway of Nations dates. Any thoughts on which of the following venues would be best in terms of a combination of racing quality/stadium/location:

Landshut (staying in Munich)

Gorzow (staying in Poznan)

Riga

Wroclaw

Vojens (staying in Copenhagen)

Thanks

Wroclaw ticks all the boxes 

9 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Forget everything else- get yourself to Wroclaw !!

But is a  weekend in Wroclaw better than a weekend in Prague ! ? That was some weekend last year in Prague. Already booked flights for next May. Transport to and from airport to City centre and onwards to stadium can't be beaten for ease of access and cost 😀

Another GP weekend with flights and accommodation for less  than 2 nights in a Cardiff hotel 

• 2 weeks later...

Riga is a great city, so don't rule that out.  Racing can be good/rubbish anywhere, especially if weather dependent.

Edited by SPEEDY69

On 10/5/2024 at 6:58 PM, Fullmax said:

But is a  weekend in Wroclaw better than a weekend in Prague ! ? That was some weekend last year in Prague. Already booked flights for next May. Transport to and from airport to City centre and onwards to stadium can't be beaten for ease of access and cost 😀

Another GP weekend with flights and accommodation for less  than 2 nights in a Cardiff hotel 

Like Prague, Wroclaw centre can be reached by public transport, Unsure about Prague but Wroclaw have extra trams during league meetings. If you like architecture either city would be worthy of your time

Edited by full-throttle

On 10/5/2024 at 10:26 AM, PaulBrummie said:

We were planning to experience a GP in Torun next year so a bit disappointed it is not on the calendar and we can't do the Speedway of Nations dates. Any thoughts on which of the following venues would be best in terms of a combination of racing quality/stadium/location:

Landshut (staying in Munich)

Gorzow (staying in Poznan)

Riga

Wroclaw

Vojens (staying in Copenhagen)

Thanks

Gorzów has the best speedway stadium out of the above without a doubt, hotels and city centre is busy over GP weekend. Normally looking at 30/34 degree heat. Stadium is easy to access from the city centre and no public transport needed as everyone walks. It holds very similar to Toruń capacity and atmosphere with the stadium roof entirely going around is great too. 

I’m sure whatever you choose will be great!

Although PZM are furious at the moment, Gorzów, Wrocław and Warsaw are all threatening to pull out of next year SGP due to the lack of Polish riders and the choice of the wild cards! Poland produces the most amount of income to the SGP, in which they are not happy with the least amount of polish riders for a long time in an SGP.

On 9/29/2024 at 7:40 AM, Phil The Ace said:

But the GP should be about the racing. Not everything that goes on but that like Cardiff. 

makes me laugh, well angry actually that everyone says they go Cardiff just for the day part, 

maybe just speedway fans are all alcoholics 

It should be about the racing, but unfortunately, as with most things today,the branding is more important than the quality of the product.

There aren't enough speedway fans left in the UK to make a dent in the capacity of a large stadium, so it needs to appeal to a wider audience.

I used to attend Cardiff every year, with family members who weren't particularly interested in speedway, but loved the big stadium experience and as you say, "the day part"

Manchester won't recreate that unfortunately. In Cardiff, speedway takes over the city centre in an almost party atmosphere. In Manchester city centre most people won't even be aware that anything is happening.

The proximity of the stadium to city centre won't help either. I've not been to the NSS, but google maps has it as between 2 and half and 3 miles, depending on which area of the centre, so the 20 minute walk or under 5 minutes in an Uber that's being stated on here sounds optimistic to me. It feels like a trek to the Etihad which is nearer.

I'm sure it will sell out though, and the racing will be great viewing, so I'm really happy to have it as a 2nd British GP. I just wish they could reverse the dates.

Pitching Cardiff against a full football league programme & the opening day of the Premier League season must affect attendance from the wider audience. I can only assume that it's down to stadium availability, otherwise, it's madness!