British Speedway Forum

Lions v Aces POF 2nd leg

2 hours ago, IainB said:

I must say the track was in absolute mint condition tonight so no excuses on that front, so a massive well done to everybody in getting into shape. Those in attendance will have seen by the standing water still around the stadium how wet it has been. 

it was even wetter after heat 11 with all the tears 😢 :rofl::rofl::party::cheers::t:

Just got home, so glad I made the trip along with a good few hundred Aces supporters, as said previously they made a great atmosphere on the first bend.  Really impressed with what the track staff had done to make it raceable, although passing was scarce after the first 2 bends, we really are fortunate to watch home meetings at the NSS.  I think the lighting needs improving all around the track but particularly the starting gate area, I'm sure the riders find it adequate or they would be complaining but it makes for gloomy viewing imo.

Brady and Dan were superb value but the whole team chipped in to ensure the overall result was never in doubt.

Well done Aces, Champions of England!!!

• Like 1

just got back enjoyed the meeting and there was a good atmosphere around the place, a good crowd, bewly and Kurtz were class act to watch round that track, ist time been there and liked the place where it is with the trees all around , track was in very good condition too. just think 3rd and 4th bend more banking would give riders a better opportunity to pass, no one ever went past the middle of that bend, so half of it was never used. bewly went the furthest when he just beat dougy over the line. also good luck to Kurtz in the challenge today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FishersGate said:

First of all you can reply to a message by simply clicking on the quote, makes it easier to track conversations rather than random messages appearing not making any sense. Bitter? No if you look at previous posts on other topics I've always said Sheffield are the league winners. So your point is invalid. Congrats on being the play off champions. Belle Vue is a nice club and good fan base. Don't paint a different picture. No bitterness , had a great season supporting the Lions. 

So b/vue won the league in 2023 for finishing top ? I forgot to celebrate that one :rofl:

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I honestly feel they've really ruined the league this year.

You'll always get people who say "Sheffield are the true Champions" even though they're not.

Whereas (correctly) Belle Vue are the Champions. The reasoning being, everyone knew the rules before the season.

But this year as they just made up the play-off pairings, I find it hard to celebrate Belle Vue as fair or deserving winners.

Belle Vue should have beaten Leicester in the semi-finals & if they met Sheffield in the finals, would've won that too.

But the doubt of would Ipswich have beaten Sheffield in the semi's & therefore met Belle Vue in the final can never be answered.

You shouldn't have to have a discussion / argument over wether we have rightful league champions, is they simply just followed the rule book.

Yes I agree, Phil Morris was wrong to make that decision against the rules of the comp ....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Trees said:

Yes I agree, Phil Morris was wrong to make that decision against the rules of the comp ....

It was completely unnecessary too, there was still plenty of time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tinker said:

Can see BV taking the Premiership title at a canter and would not rule them out actually winning on the night. I think their big hitters will all finally come to the party.

Read this driving down to Leicester yesterday, had a laugh as although thought we would do it on aggregate, thought no chance of winning on the night. 
But you were right.

16 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Read this driving down to Leicester yesterday, had a laugh as although thought we would do it on aggregate, thought no chance of winning on the night. 
But you were right.

I lumped on @ 7/2 after arriving and seeing the track was in good nick, so that and my 10/3 flutter on us winning it before the semis were run ensured a nice return.  I also thought Ben Cook would be good for over 7 after his max the previous night, so not a complete sweep but a decent night all round.

To clarify, I also lose plenty of times during the season.

10 hours ago, 40-38 said:

What do you mean truth? I know the shape is crap. I'd just like some of those on here to do something about it rather than keep moaning if it's so offensive to them.

The track could deliver decent racing if the outside worked..

Last night, especially on bends one and two, the riders taking the wider radius went backwards, even though they hit the bends faster than the rider in front, who took the tighter inside line..

Just making that outside work and losing their version of "Karlsson's corridor" would help the racing no end..

23 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

Not for the contract as agreed with WBD

Don't particularly won't to rake up old ground but they didn't need to do anything, they should have just called it at 31st of August and left the 2 KL meetings outstanding, what they did with their interference was the worst of all the options available!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

The track could deliver decent racing if the outside worked..

Last night, especially on bends one and two, the riders taking the wider radius went backwards, even though they hit the bends faster than the rider in front, who took the tighter inside line..

Just making that outside work and losing their version of "Karlsson's corridor" would help the racing no end..

It often works a it better than it did last night on B1/2, but it's not really an outside, as if you go too wide you end up in the fence as you come to the straight. That's why Bewley doesn't always go that well at BP, but his gating has got much better which makes a huge difference and I think his track craft has improved as well.

I'd be interested to hear what BTFC Lion would suggest being the track man, because there is quite a large gap between the fence and the maximum width on B3/4 which is nigh on useless for the reasons suggested above. The banking on B1/2 hasn't seemed as effective as it did last year either.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

But you were right.

Fricke and Becker going off the boil ruined any chance we had of winning on the night. Our purple patch only really happened when 1-6 were all firing at the same time, but we don't have the top end power to pull it out of the bag if they don't. I still think with the form of Bewley and Kurtz in the last few meetings it would have been close run even so.

• Like 1

What can I say, What a night.

14 Times League Champions has a great ring to it.

Stunning performance from the Aces to win on the night, and to lead the meeting right through from heat 2 was exceptional.  Winning the league away from home is always a great experience as the atmosphere was awesome, I have no voice left this morning, alongside 2022 at Sheffield its another experience shared alongside my son that I will never forget.

Commiserations to the Lions, its tough losing a final and unfortunately for you guys you didn't get much to shout about over the 2 legs, but you've had a great season and something to build on for sure.  I thought the Leicester Fans, Track staff and in particular Stewart Dickson were vey magnanimous in defeat, the latter coming around to clap and congratulate the Aces fans, which I thought was a nice touch.

Back to the Aces what a team performance from the whole 1 to 7, everyone did their job over the 4 playoff legs (not forgetting NKI of course), led by a great captain in Brady Kurtz and the unstoppable 30 point maximum Dan Bewley (give them both life contracts😊).

Absolutely buzzing off to watch it all again. 

Champions Again OLE OLE.😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

But you were right.

Maybe I'll have a dabble on the lottery this weekend Rob.

Great win by the Aces and good luck to Brady in the Challenge.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

What can I say, What a night.

14 Times League Champions has a great ring to it.

Stunning performance from the Aces to win on the night, and to lead the meeting right through from heat 2 was exceptional.  Winning the league away from home is always a great experience as the atmosphere was awesome, I have no voice left this morning, alongside 2022 at Sheffield its another experience shared alongside my son that I will never forget.

Commiserations to the Lions, its tough losing a final and unfortunately for you guys you didn't get much to shout about over the 2 legs, but you've had a great season and something to build on for sure.  I thought the Leicester Fans, Track staff and in particular Stewart Dickson were vey magnanimous in defeat, the latter coming around to clap and congratulate the Aces fans, which I thought was a nice touch.

Back to the Aces what a team performance from the whole 1 to 7, everyone did their job over the 4 playoff legs (not forgetting NKI of course), led by a great captain in Brady Kurtz and the unstoppable 30 point maximum Dan Bewley (give them both life contracts😊).

Absolutely buzzing off to watch it all again. 

Champions Again OLE OLE.😂

Bewley & Kurtz were absolutely immense last night, Kurtz in particular with a real captains performance and the day before his dream GP Challenge meeting. Neither had showed anything like that form before around Leicester and against weaker opposition too.

For Lions you get the impression that with the celebrations and jubilations after the semi victory against Ippo that the job was done as in as much as getting to the final was enough.

I can't imagine how wide your team shirt merchandise will be next season with that extra star 

everett-general-helmet-sc.jpg

Edited by IainB
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IainB said:

Bewley & Kurtz were absolutely immense last night, Kurtz in particular with a real captains performance and the day before his dream GP Challenge meeting. Neither had showed anything like that form before around Leicester and against weaker opposition too.

For Lions you get the impression that with the celebrations and jubilations after the semi victory against Ippo that the job was done as in as much as getting to the final was enough.

I can't imagine how wide your team shirt merchandise will be next season with that extra star 

I think getting to a first final for Leicester was obviously huge, but even thought it was unlikely you would pull the lead back it was a big big crowd last night, which was great to see.  I've had many play off final disappoints so I know how it feels, but I'm certain Leicester will use this year as motivation to get back to another final and your time to win it will come. 

• Haha 1

Watching the British Speedway interview  with Kurtz after the meeting, he was asked if he wants to do it all again with the Aces next year, his reply:" oh I will be here for sure"😀

• Like 1