British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2025

1 hour ago, AceBelle said:

Poor 🙈

I only put together realistic teams with riders who I think will be available to a particular club rather than building the strongest 1-7 as possible featurning riders who are either unrealistic or riders who'll be riding elsewhere.

For example I wouldn't put a rider like Robert Lambert in a 1-7 because we all know he's only interested when Poland finishes lol.

From riders who rode in the UK this season I see Leicester's pool of riders to choose from as follows (Fricke, Masters, Douglas, Lawson, Becker, Kerr, Sedgmen, C. Cook and the tail end of Birmingham's 2024 side)

12 minutes ago, TTT said:

I only put together realistic teams with riders who I think will be available to a particular club rather than building the strongest 1-7 as possible featurning riders who are either unrealistic or riders who'll be riding elsewhere.

For example I wouldn't put a rider like Robert Lambert in a 1-7 because we all know he's only interested when Poland finishes lol.

From riders who rode in the UK this season I see Leicester's pool of riders to choose from as follows (Fricke, Masters, Douglas, Lawson, Becker, Kerr, Sedgmen, C. Cook and the tail end of Birmingham's 2024 side)

Thank God I'm not a Leicester fan 🤔🤣

2 minutes ago, speedwayfan8 said:

It’s not bad but we desperately need a strong 1 and 5 if we want to stand a chance against belle vue, Ippo, Sheffield etc

I agree but I don't see where any new Heat Leader is going to come from tbh hence why I've been building my Lions teams with the backbone of the 2024 team returning.

I would've put Lindgren in the frame considering he's always rode for a club in the Midlands but he's signed for a Swedish club in 2025 and I can't see him doing 3 league when his main focus is the GP's.

1 hour ago, speedwayfan8 said:

It’s not bad but we desperately need a strong 1 and 5 if we want to stand a chance against belle vue, Ippo, Sheffield etc

When Leicester were having their tremendous run-in to the play-offs they didn't need a stronger 1+5 as the top 5 were all doing their jobs (& more).

Unfortunately when it mattered in the play-offs that form deserted them.

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

When Leicester were having their tremendous run-in to the play-offs they didn't need a stronger 1+5 as the top 5 were all doing their jobs (& more).

The form of the lions leading up to us meeting on the final was pretty much identical to The Aces. Perception of the two teams skewed how each teams form was judged. Leicester were on point whilst The Aces were just being The Aces. 

wwwwlwlwlw

wwwwllwwlw

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Yes, the upturn coincided with Becker punching above his weight.

3 hours ago, IainB said:

Sheffield are more than likely going to have to lose one

I've got Oxford down for picking the Released Sheffield Heat Leader up, They'll need a No.1 on a hefty average where's Leicester will already have one (Fricke) to a point where they'd have to make drastic changes to fit a Holder brother in.

Some fans will want drastic changes but I don't think Dickson will as he'll look at the 2024 season as a success with progress being made from 2023 despite missing out to BV.

42 minutes ago, TTT said:

I've got Oxford down for picking the Released Sheffield Heat Leader up, They'll need a No.1 on a hefty average where's Leicester will already have one (Fricke) to a point where they'd have to make drastic changes to fit a Holder brother in.

Some fans will want drastic changes but I don't think Dickson will as he'll look at the 2024 season as a success with progress being made from 2023 despite missing out to BV.

Can't see the Holder sisters being split up

Edited by IainB

9 minutes ago, TTT said:

JCB back on board for 2025.

Judging by the awards night and what Dickson has said already, It's likely Fricke, Masters, Lawson and Becker will be the backbone of the team.

Not a bad side just needs a strong reserve to makeit play off challenging. We already can guess Oxford will be strong, Ipswich, Sheffield and Belle Vue are almost certainly play off bound again so pressure is on for another decent season

Lions manager Stewart Dickson’s Rider of the Year was Sam Masters, whilst skipper Max Fricke took the Supporters’ Club award.

Luke Becker, who along with Richard Lawson, was racing in Germany on Saturday, was named as Most Improved Rider.

What planet are people on? Surely Lawson wins rider of the season ! And becker most improved? HE dropped half a point on his average . Totally mind boggling 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Lions manager Stewart Dickson’s Rider of the Year was Sam Masters, whilst skipper Max Fricke took the Supporters’ Club award.

Luke Becker, who along with Richard Lawson, was racing in Germany on Saturday, was named as Most Improved Rider.

What planet are people on? Surely Lawson wins rider of the season ! And becker most improved? HE dropped half a point on his average . Totally mind boggling 

It's like school sports day, everyone's a winner and everybody gets a prize. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Not a bad side just needs a strong reserve to makeit play off challenging. We already can guess Oxford will be strong, Ipswich, Sheffield and Belle Vue are almost certainly play off bound again so pressure is on for another decent season

Fricke 9.14, Lawson 6.91, Becker 6.57 & Masters 7.32 leaves 9.06/10.06 for a No.2 & No.6 depending on a 39.00 or 40.00 limit.

If it's a 39.00 limit then Zach Cook 5.57 & Leon Flint 3.00 but it would leave you weak at reserve and you'd think the Lions management wouldn't want to go down that route again after it backfired with Kemp.

Two from the following pool if it's a 40.00 limit -> Wiktor Lampart 4.93, Justin Sedgmen 4.79, Lewis Kerr 4.77, Craig Cook 4.55 & Connor Mountain 4.38.

30 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

I agree, Becker was awful for most of the season, Well in with the management though isn't he? So could be a case of playing favourites.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TTT said:

Fricke 9.14, Lawson 6.91, Becker 6.57 & Masters 7.32 leaves 9.06/10.06 for a No.2 & No.6 depending on a 39.00 or 40.00 limit.

If it's a 39.00 limit then Zach Cook 5.57 & Leon Flint 3.00 but it would leave you weak at reserve and you'd think the Lions management wouldn't want to go down that route again after it backfired with Kemp.

Two from the following pool if it's a 40.00 limit -> Wiktor Lampart 4.93, Justin Sedgmen 4.79, Lewis Kerr 4.77, Craig Cook 4.55 & Connor Mountain 4.38.

I agree, Becker was awful for most of the season, Well in with the management though isn't he? So could be a case of playing favourites.

Sentiment has to go out of the window it’s all about team building with numbers adding up as you know

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TTT said:

The Cairns are close with Greg Hancock who as well all know mentors Luke Becker and William Cairns. So Luke will be a lion next season. I can see Sedgmen signing. He had great start to the season riding at 2 but lost form towards the end . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Youhave2minutes said:

Sentiment has to go out of the window it’s all about team building with numbers adding up as you know

Clubs taking things seriously will do everything they can to keep a top two on 8+ averages (regardless of the points limit) as this seems to be the way to go of late to win the league. The shrewdest managements will of course seek the best riders available(on the up) on lower averages for their middle order which will have to be compromised. If the Lion’s backbone is as named previously on this thread, then next season will not surpass this one, since half of the league will have a better No.5 than Masters. Since any points scored by the RS would appear to be a bonus, a 5 pointer at No.6 is something the Lions should be looking at. That said, if you are having the two required big hitters at the top end, you are highly likely to have at least one 5 pointer in the main 1 to 5 of the team! Think we’ll just have to rely on Dickson’s judgement again, which I’m happy to do.

1 minute ago, Teromaafan said:

Clubs taking things seriously will do everything they can to keep a top two on 8+ averages (regardless of the points limit) as this seems to be the way to go of late to win the league. The shrewdest managements will of course seek the best riders available(on the up) on lower averages for their middle order which will have to be compromised. If the Lion’s backbone is as named previously on this thread, then next season will not surpass this one, since half of the league will have a better No.5 than Masters. Since any points scored by the RS would appear to be a bonus, a 5 pointer at No.6 is something the Lions should be looking at. That said, if you are having the two required big hitters at the top end, you are highly likely to have at least one 5 pointer in the main 1 to 5 of the team! Think we’ll just have to rely on Dickson’s judgement again, which I’m happy to do.

He didn’t make a too bad of a job, to reach the final was an achievement in itself. It must be painful to fall just short.