British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2025

37 minutes ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

I would get rid of Fricke after his performance in the final.

Bring in a proper number 1 like Artem Laguta.

Somebody who excels in play-off matches.

He really excelled around Leicester with his solitary 4 point score... I think he bottled the rest of his appearances 🍼

Edited by IainB
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FishersGate said:

The Cairns are close with Greg Hancock who as well all know mentors Luke Becker and William Cairns. So Luke will be a lion next season. I can see Sedgmen signing. He had great start to the season riding at 2 but lost form towards the end . 

God help him Hancocks ruined janowski and now wozniak.

• Like 2

One of the problems with the play-offs are the previous 24 matches are instantly forgotten, if a team loses in the semi-final or final, it's a disappointing end to the season.

Leicester finishing 2nd in the table is obviously a good season, but all the focus is now on them losing in the play-off final, so it's hard for fans to look back on the season fondly.

For this same reason Fricke having a high average for 24 league matches is forgotten as he didn't do well in the play-offs.

Are there riders out there who perform better when the pressure is on?

36 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

One of the problems with the play-offs are the previous 24 matches are instantly forgotten, if a team loses in the semi-final or final, it's a disappointing end to the season.

Leicester finishing 2nd in the table is obviously a good season, but all the focus is now on them losing in the play-off final, so it's hard for fans to look back on the season fondly.

For this same reason Fricke having a high average for 24 league matches is forgotten as he didn't do well in the play-offs.

They don't have to preform better, they just shouldn't go missing when it matters most. Bewley and Kurtz showed us what should be done...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

As @BluTiger eluded to above, I think what has left many Lions fans so disappointed, well it has me, was that we just didn't perform in the final, Fricke & Becker just went missing. Coming off the back of fluffing pay off qualification the year before at Peterborough it was a bit like history repeating itself and questions must be asked of whether this core team are able to get things over the line.

10 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Match going King's Lynn fans crying in their Hot Chocolates tonight.

Their heatleading hopes were all pinned on Lawson.

Thought & prayers are with them 🙏🏻 

Douglas can fill the void at KL.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, False dawn said:

"pay off" sounds bad. I assume this was a typo for "play off" 😱

Yes, let's go with typo 😉. It is a pay off for the promoters though, the promoters that have their team in the pay offs... for the others whose season finishes in August not so much and every other league match that isn't taken as seriously as perhaps it should be throughout the season no pay off there as the fans think I'll give it a miss, it doesn't really matter.

The set up of a team should not be made up of " club " favourites. If riders perform well  then they earn the right to ride for that team again.  I won't name drop but I'd only take on 2 of the 2024 lions & maybe consider 1 more . 

Winners come from effort not favouritism. 

Edited by Lionsman66
Wrong spelling

What do the Leicester owners and promoters want, and how soon? The answer to the first one should be obvious, the second not so easy. The Premier league is consolidating into three clubs which are all capable of winning it, two sitting just outside that group trying to become members, and two outliers (maybe one next season).

Presumably, Leicester wants to join the top three, as do Oxford. So they have two missions, the first one is to gain supremacy over Oxford and hope that in doing so, they also break into the top group. This is a tough ask. They can't expect any favours from any of the top three - no more nudge/wink deals with Sheffield! Speaking of Sheffield, it seems likely they will have to release one of their top three, and that rider's destination may provide the answer to part one of the Leicester/Oxford question about who can join the top three first. Leicester have given it a good go this year, but have they got the grappling hooks secured? 

I know it doesn’t solve the heat leader back up but can see Kyle Howarth being surplus to requirements at Sheffield (ridiculous if what I’ve heard is correct as nobody better on a 5.05 average around Owlerton) and becoming the number 6 for Leicester in 2025. Definitely an improvement on what’s been there in 2024 and had plenty laps around there when captain in the Championship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4BenMoran said:

I know it doesn’t solve the heat leader back up but can see Kyle Howarth being surplus to requirements at Sheffield (ridiculous if what I’ve heard is correct as nobody better on a 5.05 average around Owlerton) and becoming the number 6 for Leicester in 2025. Definitely an improvement on what’s been there in 2024 and had plenty laps around there when captain in the Championship

Sorting out the troublesome no. 6 issue would be a big help i'm sure. Or they could bring in Patrick McGoohan?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lenny Lion said:

My team I would like to see but not sure if all my figures are correct ?

1. Max Fricke (9.14)

2. Szymon Wozniak (5.00)

3. Maciej Janowski (7.02)

4. Luke Becker ( 6.57)

5. Ryan Douglas (7.30)

6. Wiktor Lampart (4.93)

RS. Jason Edwards

Wozniaks last average was just shy of 6 I think. I imagine he would get a re assessed average around the 6 point mark. I can't see Dickson going for any foreign riders, he liked riders he can trust that will probably rule out quite a few names mentioned already. I can see Fricke, Masters, Becker, Hagon, Lawson? , Sedgmen and one other.