British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2025

10 minutes ago, Trees said:

I'd like to know what Fricke has to say about his form in the final meetings ....

He doesn't seem to have that "fire in his belly" that Kurtz has...

That said, I can see him qualifying for the GP again later today...

He seems to always come through these kind of meetings, but domestically in the UK rides below his potential...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

He seems to always come through these kind of meetings, but domestically in the UK rides below his potential...

It's pretty simple and has been said by many others - can't perform when the track is wet, maximums all along when it's warm and dry. He needs a winter practicing on frozen lakes in Finland

• Haha 2

If I was to decide the team I'd probably keep Fricke, Lawson,Masters and Douglas. Only problem is those 4 won't bring any silverware to the club as they aren't quite at that doyle/kurtz level of winning meetings. I'm confident of those 4 atleast 2 of those  will stay but I'd like to see new reserves and a big hitter at 5 to support fricke. 

3 hours ago, FishersGate said:

I'm pretty confident fricke and becker are staying next season. Becker has close ties with the owner . Fricke on the other hand needs a proper number 5 along side him..

Your right a strong top 2 is always the way to go.  Having Kurtz and Bewley is huge, they deliver when it matters. 

• Like 2

Problem Leicester have with their current top 5 is that they have reached their peak and existing averages are only going to go down.  They haven’t got someone who you can see adding 0.5-1.0 pro their average .  For 2025 they need better consistency from Fricke and someone to step up from the other 4.  I’d stick with Fricke, Douglas, Lawson, the Masters/Becker combo is too flaky as shown far too recently.  The reserve area need a rethink, going back to Cook, Kerr, Kemp season on season just isn’t working, get in a solid 5 pointer down there like Sedgman, Howarth, Batchelor or even look at a returner like Jakobsen take pressure off the Rising Star.  Know it’s easy to point it out but harder to fix it 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 4BenMoran said:

Problem Leicester have with their current top 5 is that they have reached their peak and existing averages are only going to go down.  They haven’t got someone who you can see adding 0.5-1.0 pro their average .  For 2025 they need better consistency from Fricke and someone to step up from the other 4.  I’d stick with Fricke, Douglas, Lawson, the Masters/Becker combo is too flaky as shown far too recently.  The reserve area need a rethink, going back to Cook, Kerr, Kemp season on season just isn’t working, get in a solid 5 pointer down there like Sedgman, Howarth, Batchelor or even look at a returner like Jakobsen take pressure off the Rising Star.  Know it’s easy to point it out but harder to fix it 

Completely agree. 

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

If I was to decide the team I'd probably keep Fricke, Lawson,Masters and Douglas. Only problem is those 4 won't bring any silverware to the club as they aren't quite at that doyle/kurtz level of winning meetings. I'm confident of those 4 atleast 2 of those  will stay but I'd like to see new reserves and a big hitter at 5 to support fricke. 

If you're going to keep Max Fricke, you'll need the new big hitter to be at No 1 and he'll need to still be at No 1 when the season goes into September

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Rain forecast for Pardubice - so Max may not find the track to his liking especially out of the gate :sad:

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

They say you’re only as good as your last performance and that’s certainly true of Max. To say he goes missing at the big meetings is a little bit unfair. You’ve only had the semi-final and the final that you could term as big meetings and in the semi-final, he did excellent and pretty much got you into the final. It’s always going to be difficult when you’re up against a top two like The Aces have, same with Ipswich had their top two been in play, Max is number three in the averages for a reason and that reason is he’s an excellent rider. He had two rough nights at the wrong time but that’s no reason to condemn him as a poor rider. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

If you're going to keep Max Fricke, you'll need the new big hitter to be at No 1 and he'll need to still be at No 1 when the season goes into September

Agreed. The team that won the league and others that should have won the league (according to people in Suffolk) have a stronger No.1 and a No.5 at least as good as Fricke. Problem is, if a better rider can be persuaded to join the Lions, fitting them in with team average limits. A five point reserve is essential if we are going to have to carry a RS at No.7. The current middle order would then therefore need to take a dent. Take your pick with the current No.2 to No.5, their averages are pretty similar. I would personally want to keep Lawson and trade any of the others to accommodate another another big hitter along with someone like Sedgmen or Kerr.

13 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

Agreed. The team that won the league and others that should have won the league (according to people in Suffolk) have a stronger No.1 and a No.5 at least as good as Fricke. Problem is, if a better rider can be persuaded to join the Lions, fitting them in with team average limits.

I say DJ, You say...

I say DJ, you say...

I say DJ, you say...

Woffy! Woffy! Woffy!

Edited by IainB

10 minutes ago, IainB said:

DJ Woffy...

I say DJ, You say...

I say DJ, you say...

I say DJ, you say...

Would have been box office a couple of years ago, but now? Would question his desire? If the next AGM decided that teams are required to field a DJ, how about bringing in Tony Blackburn? Would surely come in on a very low (age related) average and no doubt free up points elsewhere for team building? Any seventies era DJ would feel quite at home at most tracks, since the music played over the PA is what they were playing when they were on air.

9 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

When the season STARTS in September...:D

40 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

Would have been box office a couple of years ago, but now? Would question his desire? If the next AGM decided that teams are required to field a DJ, how about bringing in Tony Blackburn? Would surely come in on a very low (age related) average and no doubt free up points elsewhere for team building? Any seventies era DJ would feel quite at home at most tracks, since the music played over the PA is what they were playing when they were on air.

Surely the obvious choice would be "Diddy" David Hamilton in the ageing star positron great mate. 

We may have to rename Beaumont Park to the Yewtree Arena though, right pop picker? Not 'arf!

Edited by IainB

Leicester were built to be solid and were found out in the final by a strong heat leader pair in Bewley and Kurtz. 

Lions could keep Fricke but need a second strong heat leader and then a rider like Lawson can tuck in as the third heat-leader potentially. Decent season for the Lions build and go again next season. 

15 hours ago, mikebv said:

You were right, he did qualify for the 2025 gps!  Jeez he's frustrating!