British Speedway Forum

Mechanics, where have they all gone ?

I came from an era when most riders had friends that helped them out at meetings to the era from 10 years ago when nearly everyone had full or at least part time mechanic’s to today when riders are appealing for help at various tracks on social media, where have all the mechanics gone? I still see a few from when I did it but a lot just don’t do it anymore, it’s not bad money really and you can do deals with riders and it seems to be all levels too, I noticed bomber washed his own bikes on Thursday and don’t think he turned up with a mechanic at Sheffield, I know teams like wolves and Poole provided mechanics if you didn’t have one but where have the mechanics all gone? Are riders not paying anymore or something else ? I understand rider/mechanic can be a bit like a marriage at times so is it there is too many personality conflicts these days, I know riders can at times be awkward to say the least and I also understand some mechanics think the world revolves around them but even taking that into account there should be enough to go round, is the money not enough these days not enough to subsidise the loss of a work wage or is it just like the rider numbers dwindling the mechanics are dwindling too ?

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

34 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I came from an era when most riders had friends that helped them out at meetings to the era from 10 years ago when nearly everyone had full or at least part time mechanic’s to today when riders are appealing for help at various tracks on social media, where have all the mechanics gone, I still see a few from when I did it but a lot just don’t do it anymore, it’s not bad money really and you can do deals with riders and it seems to be all levels too, I noticed bomber washed his own bikes on Thursday and don’t think he turned up with a mechanic at Sheffield, I know teams like wolves and Poole provided mechanics if you didn’t have one but where have the mechanics all gone? Are riders not paying anymore or something else ? I understand rider/mechanic can be a bit like a marriage at times so is it there is too many personality conflicts these days, I know riders can at times be awkward to say the least and I also understand some mechanics think the world revolves around them but even taking that into account there should be enough to go round, is the money not enough these days not enough to subsidise the loss of a work wage or is it just like the rider numbers dwindling the mechanics are dwindling too ?

Do you not think it’s all to Technically to much for the average “friend” to get involved with these days and to time consuming  to do it as “part time” job.Dont know how much riders pay anybody.They have to be “switched on” these days with everything going on .IMO

29 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Do you not think it’s all to Technically to much for the average “friend” to get involved with these days and to time consuming  to do it as “part time” job.Dont know how much riders pay anybody.They have to be “switched on” these days with everything going on .IMO

Not technical at all, all you have to do is change a tyre,check tyre pressure, turn a wheel,change sprocket and chain links, adjust ignition and maybe change a jet size and fuel up, that’s pretty much everything you do at a meeting, in a workshop you just strip parts, wash bike and parts and reassemble, checking nothing has broke, bent or worn, strip carb, wash it and reassemble, adjusting arm setting with dial gauge, very rarely mechanic will touch engine settings, you might check tappet gaps but no exactly rocket science, you have to work quick these days but mostly you are at the riders instructions but If you have riding experience you can give your input, it helps to know what changes will do like jetting/gearing etc but you pick these things up as you go along it’s my opinion you could go from an average Joe to become a fully competent mechanic in one season, it’s pretty basic mechanics, one thing that has to learnt is trust, the rider must trust you 100% 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Not technical at all, all you have to do is change a tyre,check tyre pressure, turn a wheel,change sprocket and chain links, adjust ignition and maybe change a jet size and fuel up, that’s pretty much everything you do at a meeting, in a workshop you just strip parts, wash bike and parts and reassemble, checking nothing has broke, bent or worn, strip carb, wash it and reassemble, adjusting arm setting with dial gauge, very rarely mechanic will touch engine settings, you might check tappet gaps but no exactly rocket science, you have to work quick these days but mostly you are at the riders instructions but If you have riding experience you can give your input, it helps to know what changes will do like jetting/gearing etc but you pick these things up as you go along it’s my opinion you could go from an average Joe to become a fully competent mechanic in one season, it’s pretty basic mechanics, one thing that has to learnt is trust, the rider must trust you 100% 

Don't forget running around getting parts and picking up and dropping off riders at airports etc , picking up and dropping engines off at the tuner,I can definitely say it's turned into a full time job and the money unless your very lucky to work for a generous rider isn't that great and holding down a regular job is very difficult when your getting home from meetings very late at night . When I did it my annual leave soon got used up and I lost money over the years not to mention the time apart from the family especially if you have children that during the season you hardly see. It's not for everyone, young, free and single with no financial commitment is who it suits nowadays. IMO.

Edited by ONTWOMINUTES
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

Don't forget running around getting parts and picking up and dropping off riders at airports etc , picking up and dropping engines off at the tuner,I can definitely say it's turned into a full time job and the money unless your very lucky to work for a generous rider isn't that great and holding down a regular job is very difficult when your getting home from meetings very late at night . When I did it my annual leave soon got used up and I lost money over the years not to mention the time apart from the family especially if you have children that during the season you hardly see. It's not for everyone, young, free and single with no financial commitment is who it suits nowadays. IMO.

Yes I agree, my previous post was just about what is actually involved technically, yes it is a full time job, well sort of because there are weeks sometimes when you have no meeting cause rain off or whatever and yes you feel like sometimes you’re living in airport car parks, I was always well planned well in advance with my work(own business) and got customers to know the riders away meetings so tied work round  them so that worked out well and this worked in my riding days too, you would often see my van loaded with bikes and work stuff and tied one in with the other 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Yes I agree, my previous post was just about what is actually involved technically, yes it is a full time job, well sort of because there are weeks sometimes when you have no meeting cause rain off or whatever and yes you feel like sometimes you’re living in airport car parks, I was always well planned well in advance with my work(own business) and got customers to know the riders away meetings so tied work round  them so that worked out well and this worked in my riding days too, you would often see my van loaded with bikes and work stuff and tied one in with the other 

Yes dean with your own business it would work as you'd be in charge of your income accordingly but we weren't all fortunate enough for that, apart from that over the 32 odd years I mechaniced and held down full time jobs eventually it takes it's toll and in the end I just wasn't interested anymore. I had great times and some times when I was wishing I hadn't bothered. The best years of speedway have gone now and alot of riders don't appreciate the hard work and sacrifices their mechanic makes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Do you think this is the reason for the lack of mechanics ?

I'd certainly say it's got alot to do with it , fair play to the polish mechanics that come over and work till they realise the cost of living here. Don't get me wrong, there's a good few mechanics that make it work, I think it's down to personal circumstances imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ONTWOMINUTES said:

I'd certainly say it's got alot to do with it , fair play to the polish mechanics that come over and work till they realise the cost of living here. Don't get me wrong, there's a good few mechanics that make it work, I think it's down to personal circumstances imo.

How many Top men in GB employ full time mechanic/chauffeur .Takes a lot of commitment to help riders these as they more Continental Stuff these days.Like Dean you really have your own business to work around their schedule.

I'm don't know what happened on Monday with Jack Holder and his mechanic but brother Chris said on tv at the play-off that Jack suddenly found himself mechanic less in the morning and had to share Chris's mechanic for the meeting at Belle Vue.