British Speedway Forum

2025 GP line up/wildcards

50 minutes ago, SaddlebowRoad said:

based on what 

On 2 fronts for me:-

1, age. Although that's harsh, I just don't think 35+ should be getting Wildcards. There absolutely has to be an age cut off. Top 6 & GP Challenge should be the only route for the old guys.

2, Doyle's pretty much guaranteed to have a massive accident which then becomes a wasted space given in the series. Doesn't allow the 1st reserve the chance to automatically qualify whom may deserve the spot anyway.

• Confused 3

On 10/1/2024 at 8:15 AM, f-s-p said:

Some laws (or rules) allow you to do stuff, others prohibit you from doing stuff. Thats the system.

EDIT: Also one might wonder or think a minute about how "ridicolous" it is that Russia has been bombing the two Ukrainian speedway cities Rivne and Lviv for two years now...

There are a few things beyond the obvious keeping the Russians sidelined.

If they are now to be considered "Polish" then it is up the PZM to nominate them to contest the GPs -- presumably through next season's GP Challenge system.        But obviously, there is a restriction on the nominations from any one governing body.    That will mean they take the place of two "real Poles" in the system, which might not go down too well with the Polish public, who don't generally like Russia as a neighbour, and would feel aggrieved if (say) Magic and Dudek were dropped by the PZM to allow Emil and Laguta into the qualifiers......

Another route would be via the European Championship, albeit that only one could win it, and enter the GPs that way.   

But again, FIM Europe (a different organisation from the FIM in many ways) will have restrictions of their own.......

In short, I don't see either of the Russians getting back into the GP system in the forseeable future.  Unless the war is ended, of course.

Over to you, Mr Putin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

On 2 fronts for me:-

1, age. Although that's harsh, I just don't think 35+ should be getting Wildcards. There absolutely has to be an age cut off. Top 6 & GP Challenge should be the only route for the old guys.

2, Doyle's pretty much guaranteed to have a massive accident which then becomes a wasted space given in the series. Doesn't allow the 1st reserve the chance to automatically qualify whom may deserve the spot anyway.

Sorry, but disagree completely. I see no reason why age should come into it at all, that's what the SGP2 is for. I'm pretty sure the it may be illegal to say wild cards are for U-35s anyway.

As for your second point, why would the first reserve "deserve a spot" if they didn't qualify?

For me the only riders who deserve wild cards are riders who would've finished in the top 6 bar injury.

• Like 1

For me it should be Doyle, Michelsen, Laguta & Sayfutdinov. Assuming they are still banned I'd replace the last two with Madsen & Thorsell (next in line from GPs / qualifiers).

I'm quite surprised how many are suggesting Woffinden & Kvech.

Woffinden was really poor this year & nowhere near a top 10 spot, let alone a top 6 spot. As for Kvech, he had a decent enough first season & at times showed promise, but he still finished bottom of the (non-injured) GP riders, so I don't see how that warrants a wild card. Could easily see him being one of the higher ranked reserves though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Sorry, but disagree completely. I see no reason why age should come into it at all, that's what the SGP2 is for. I'm pretty sure the it may be illegal to say wild cards are for U-35s anyway.

As for your second point, why would the first reserve "deserve a spot" if they didn't qualify?

For me the only riders who deserve wild cards are riders who would've finished in the top 6 bar injury.

Doyle didn't quality & you can't guarantee Doyle would have been top 6, you are surmising.

The reasoning of those that pick Doyle as Wildcard is no greater than the first reserve.

The whole Wildcard thing drives me bonkers. What is the point of it if 7th & 8th are automatic picks &/or injured riders. 

Just make it top 10 & the rest from the Challenge.