British Speedway Forum

Sheffield Tigers 2025

39 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Not every team can win the league, if that's what's considered a successful season, does that mean 6 clubs had poor seasons & only Belle Vue did well?

As Sheffield topped the "qualification league" and won the KOC, I don't see why they'd necessarily need to change the team makeup (strong top end, 2 x RS at the bottom) because of the disappointment in the play-offs.

Because that doesn’t tell the whole story does it? They finished top and won the KOC by taking advantage of another clubs injury woes. Nothing wrong with that before you say, but they wouldn’t have done either if Ipswich were at full strength which papers over the cracks somewhat and makes Sheffield look a tad stronger than they actually were. Ipswich had already beaten Sheffield at their place once, and were on course to do so again until Emil crashed and that was even without Doyle. IMO the Sheffield fans are right to be sceptical about the make up of a similar side. They were vulnerable at reserve and you can’t rely on others getting injuries to their whole top end every year. I personally think a strong top two is essential to be successful, a strong top 3 not so much. I’d be picking two from three of the top end and then get in a stronger number 6. 

Edited by Aries

9 hours ago, Aries said:

Because that doesn’t tell the whole story does it? They finished top and won the KOC by taking advantage of another clubs injury woes. Nothing wrong with that before you say, but they wouldn’t have done either if Ipswich were at full strength which papers over the cracks somewhat and makes Sheffield look a tad stronger than they actually were. Ipswich had already beaten Sheffield at their place once, and were on course to do so again until Emil crashed and that was even without Doyle. IMO the Sheffield fans are right to be sceptical about the make up of a similar side. They were vulnerable at reserve and you can’t rely on others getting injuries to their whole top end every year. I personally think a strong top two is essential to be successful, a strong top 3 not so much. I’d be picking two from three of the top end and then get in a stronger number 6. 

The Ipswich side was built similar to ours, the difference was D Thompson had a great season which pushed Rew down to reserve and the top 5 kept performing. Howarth was very poor for most parts of the season and had to stay at number 2, Anders Rowe been the only change would make us stronger. Gilkes and Edwards had they’re moments but didn’t improve much through the season but are still young riders, I’m not sure who else would be better picks at reserve 

12 hours ago, Aries said:

You sound very butt hurt about Sheffield winning something and Ipswich not winning anything 

51 minutes ago, psycho3a said:

My thoughts.. more balanced with potential.. ??

Tai Woffinden 8.45

Chris Harris 6.06

Tom Brennan 6.52

Anders Rowe 5.08

Josh Pickering 6.74

Antti Vuolas 4.13

Jake Mulford 3.00

39.98 inc English 2.5% reduction

That team only comes to around 35.8 points. RS average doesn’t count towards the team total and Rowe is on 3.91 as gets 25% RS reduction and can’t see Sheffield getting Brennan (Birmingham or Ipswich)nor the Belle Vue reserve duo.  

Two Teams for Sheffield, One built within 39.00 (Left side 1-7) and the other within 40.00 (Right side 1-7)

I don't think I'm far off (If off at all)

1. C. Holder / 1. J. Holder

2. Howarth / 2. Rowe

3. Pickering / 3. Woffinden

4. Harris / 4. Pickering

5. Woffinden / 5. C. Holder

6. Rowe / 6. Edwards

7. Edwards or Gilkes (RS) / 7. Gilkes (RS)

Wonder if Bates’ and Strad will contact all of their 2024 team to let them know where they stand for 2025.  Heard that more than one of them had zero contact since the play off semi final loss.  That’s not great man management really, even a quick call to say still in team building mode well let you know by ‘x’ date or free to find somewhere else, these guys are self employed in effect and not like there’s loads of places available due to numbers game. Anyway off to plait somemore Shirecliffe fog as more chance of that happening 

Edited by 4BenMoran

24 minutes ago, 4BenMoran said:

Wonder if Bates’ and Strad will contact all of their 2024 team to let them know where they stand for 2025.  Heard that more than one of them had zero contact since the play off semi final loss.  That’s not great man management really, even a quick call to say still in team building mode well let you know by ‘x’ date or free to find somewhere else, these guys are self employed in effect and not like there’s loads of places available due to numbers game. Anyway off to plait somemore Shirecliffe fog as more chance of that happening 

Don’t surprise me one bit in the least

24 minutes ago, 4BenMoran said:

Who’s had no contact then? The AGM meeting hasn’t took place yet and people probably on holidays post season 

On 10/14/2024 at 10:37 PM, Hooky said:

Sheffield top 5 next season:

1. Jack Holder 

2. Anders Rowe

3. Chris Holder

4. Josh Pickering (C)

5. Tai Woffinden 

Howarth on his way to Leicester.

I don't know if Rowe gets his 2.5% British reduction on top of the -25% he already has. If not i make your top 5 is  36.96 ( leaves 3.04  with a 40 point limit) and 2.04 if its 39, for a No.6.

21 minutes ago, Manifesto said:

Who’s had no contact then? The AGM meeting hasn’t took place yet and people probably on holidays post season 

Bottom end of team imagine wanting to get top 5 in place and then fill the gap with what’ points are left, one of them already had an offer for this year which is better money than at Sheffield so let’s see what happens there, loyalty or money, if I was a rider know which I’d choose 😉

9 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I don't know if Rowe gets his 2.5% British reduction on top of the -25% he already has. If not i make your top 5 is  36.96 ( leaves 3.04  with a 40 point limit) and 2.04 if its 39, for a No.6.

Just the 25%

• Like 1

As my original team was well under the points limit as i had included rs and Anders at 5.08 attempt number 2/3 lol based on 40 points - both have potential if Anders improves to have either zach cook or maybe bomber at reserve

Tai Woffinden 8.45

Josh Pickering 6.74

Ben Cook 6.99

Zach Cook 5.57

Tobiasz Musielak 8.21

Anders Rowe 3.91

Jake Mulford 3.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tai Woffinden 8.45

Chris Harris 6.06

Josh Pickering 6.74

Tom Brennan 6.52

Tobiasz Musielak 8.21

Anders Rowe 3.91

Jake Mulford 3.00

21 hours ago, Hooky said:

You sound very butt hurt about Sheffield winning something and Ipswich not winning anything 

6 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

Also constantly ignores the fact that Woffinden missed almost as many league matches as Doyle.

And Ipswich were still clear at the top despite missing Doyle since May. It was the Emil absence which then saw the club win only one (Leicester H in play offs) of the last 10 meeting in League and Cup. The club struggled for guests and used rider replacement in a lot of those meetings also. The teams being put out were way under strength quite frankly. Whether you want to admit it or not, Ipswich were the best team in the league this year and would have finished top, not Sheffield. I’m sorry but that’s undeniable. Is it Sheffields fault? Of course not. You simply took advantage of another club’s misfortune and that’s fair game. We scraped by without one heatleaders, as you did with Woffinden, but losing two killed the season stone dead. 

As ever though, rather than get all precious about it, you’re completely missing the point of my post unsurprisingly. @szkocjasid Said there was nothing wrong with the strategy of the way you built your team, and used the fact you finished top of the table as evidence that it worked. My point was very simple, that just by glancing at the finished table doesn’t tell the whole story and gives a false sense of achievement because you can’t rely on other clubs losing their whole top end every year. That’s just common sense. If you stick with the same reserve pairing next year you’ll win nothing. It isn’t good enough. 

1 hour ago, Aries said:

And Ipswich were still clear at the top despite missing Doyle since May. It was the Emil absence which then saw the club win only one (Leicester H in play offs) of the last 10 meeting in League and Cup. The club struggled for guests and used rider replacement in a lot of those meetings also. The teams being put out were way under strength quite frankly. Whether you want to admit it or not, Ipswich were the best team in the league this year and would have finished top, not Sheffield. I’m sorry but that’s undeniable. Is it Sheffields fault? Of course not. You simply took advantage of another club’s misfortune and that’s fair game. We scraped by without one heatleaders, as you did with Woffinden, but losing two killed the season stone dead. 

As ever though, rather than get all precious about it, you’re completely missing the point of my post unsurprisingly. @szkocjasid Said there was nothing wrong with the strategy of the way you built your team, and used the fact you finished top of the table as evidence that it worked. My point was very simple, that just by glancing at the finished table doesn’t tell the whole story and gives a false sense of achievement because you can’t rely on other clubs losing their whole top end every year. That’s just common sense. If you stick with the same reserve pairing next year you’ll win nothing. It isn’t good enough. 

Like I said, butt hurt.

4 hours ago, Aries said:

I have openly stated on here numerous times that Ipswich were the strongest team in the league, and without injuries would probably have done the double.

Both teams took gambles that didn't pay off. Sheffield gambled on 3 strong heat leaders and a weak reserve pairing, but losing 1 of those for the majority of the season hampered us, and weaker guests and R/R were our downfall. Ipswich gambled on having the best lead pairing in the league. Without injuries it is quite likely that we would have both been in both finals (awaits arguments from BV fans 😂), but unfortunately injuries are part and parcel of speedway and the gambles failed on this occasion.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 11:55 AM, Hooky said:

The top 5 that I mentioned is a done deal if the limit is 40. 

Howarth to Leicester is also a done deal. 

Forget coming up with any other team declarations!

I seem to recall you were pretty spot on last season with your line up! Its a decent line up too the one you suggest!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

I have openly stated on here numerous times that Ipswich were the strongest team in the league, and without injuries would probably have done the double.

Both teams took gambles that didn't pay off. Sheffield gambled on 3 strong heat leaders and a weak reserve pairing, but losing 1 of those for the majority of the season hampered us, and weaker guests and R/R were our downfall. Ipswich gambled on having the best lead pairing in the league. Without injuries it is quite likely that we would have both been in both finals (awaits arguments from BV fans 😂), but unfortunately injuries are part and parcel of speedway and the gambles failed on this occasion.

Last season is done and gone - we should be looking forwards! The fact is both Sheffield and Ipswich failed to win the league (Sheffielddid get the cup) cos in some ways they took their eye off the ball and allowed BV in!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1