British Speedway Forum

Sheffield Tigers 2025

20 hours ago, 4BenMoran said:

Know we got to the play offs but the top heavy and weak reserves definitely caught us out in the end, hopefully a little bit more solid from 1-6 in 2025.

Chris H should be first name on the team sheet, was our rider of the year by a country mile.  

We all know what Jack’s capable of he’s been around the number 1 race jacket for 4 seasons now and no reason why that can’t continue.

Pickering could be a steal at under 7 average if he starts to start seasons as he finishes the previous one, usually takes until mid July for him to get into top gear.

Just hope the promotion don’t get hung up on the Woffinden ‘adds to the gate’ factor to include him in the 1-7 as think that’s run it’s cause.

Howarth had a very inconsistent season but showed again in the KO cup final away at Ipswich and play off final at home that he’s capable of scoring well against tough opposition, so that 5.05 average could he easily add a point too 

Would love to see Harris there on that 6.06 average, he’d be good for double digits most weeks around Owlerton and scored well at all the other UK tracks, there’d be less pressure on him with Holder bros and Pickering ahead of him in the averages.

Rowe is nailed on and should be comfortable at number 6 to start with, putting pressure on Howarth for the number 2 race jacket.

Rising Star I’d like to see someone new, we’ve tried with Gilles and he’s not progressed at all this year, Edwards can be good if he gates but passing especially around Owlerton isn’t his strong point and I bet he’d admit that.  Ablitt scored well for the Cubs team Owlerton so could be looked at and if Oxford didn’t want Kileen I’d snap him up in a heartbeat,  Foord might be a raw novice but seen him on BSN for Poole beating the other Rising Stars home and away so worth a shot also 

Tai was having a solid season home and away, there's not a single reason not to have him back. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MP78 said:

With the 3 heat leaders you have got a tricky decision to make to omit one!  Great position to be in of course. 

One thought... Will another club look to make a statement signing and throw money at Woffinden perhaps?  Might make the decision for the Tigers? 

Woofy said in Thursday's programme that he's hoping to stay with Sheffield next year. Following the semi-final debacle, I think Jack may be the sacrificial lamb. Woofy, Bomber and the elder Holder sounds like a good heat-leader combo to me. We must keep Picko and Kyle at all costs, with (maybe) Jye Etheridge at no. 6. How do those averages add up?

The important thing about building a team for next season is that we sign riders that are happy above all else to give everything for Sheffield. It appears to me that Jack prioritizes his own agenda. Six points in the home semi-final (when we all know he's well capable of double figures, even on a bad day) causes eyebrows to be raised. There was something about certain riders' performances in that Owlerton semi-final that made me feel uncomfortable in a way I've never felt uncomfortable before. It left me feeling that changes might be called for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

The important thing about building a team for next season is that we sign riders that are happy above all else to give everything for Sheffield. It appears to me that Jack prioritizes his own agenda. Six points in the home semi-final (when we all know he's well capable of double figures, even on a bad day) causes eyebrows to be raised. There was something about certain riders' performances in that Owlerton semi-final that made me feel uncomfortable in a way I've never felt uncomfortable before. It left me feeling that changes might be called for.

Do you think certain riders had already been told before the meeting “thank you for 2024 but we won’t be using you in 2025” ?  Can’t make my mind up if it was equipment, track, mindset after the Cook crash or if there was another agenda but both Holder’s had an off night for some reason 

Edited by 4BenMoran
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, 4BenMoran said:

Do you think certain riders had already been told before the meeting “thank you for 2024 but we won’t be using you in 2025” ?  Can’t make my mind up if it was equipment, track, mindset after the Cook crash or if there was another agenda but both Holder’s had an off night for some reason 

Didn't Jacks mechanic quit that morning? 

So he ended up doing the bikes himself?

5 hours ago, 4BenMoran said:

Great comment, Kyle’s on a 5 point average (6 when BP’s included, 23 of the for the year) he rides at number 2 with Jack for 3 races each meeting, so Example Emil in front, Jack 2nd place and Kyle 3rd what’s he supposed to do race Jack for the extra point to increase his green sheet average or let Jack concentrate on possibly attacking Emil or sit behind partner pick up the bonus point for finishing behind him? If suddenly Kyle starts leading Jack each race and increases his average to say 6.50 and Jack’s average then goes down to 7.30 the fans (fickle ones anyway) would be on Jack’s case saying he ain’t good enough.  Its a team sport in the league and sometimes riders sacrifice their scoring positions to the better rider in the team for the benefit of the team, bigger picture and all that 

Exactly right 

Riding at number 2 you wouldn’t expect him to beat his partner in 3 of his races and he is up against opposition heat leaders in those so maybe 3 points is the norm in those though he might beat the opposition heat leader and he might get beat by the number 6 …. So some weeks 4 points some weeks 7 … a solid number two rider 

Blodorn Riss Thompson Lampart Basso Lawson Howarth …. Are the riders who have been riding at two mainly and he is on a par with most of those …. Don’t forget the Sheffield team is top heavy with 4 heat leaders pretty much so the 5th rider will be weaker then say Leicester who have built strength in depth …. People too quick to judge Howarth …… I see the same at my club with fans thinking Danny King should be getting 10 points a meeting …. Our third heat leader will be weaker with Jason and Emil using a lot of points up …. King will get 7-8 most meetings and that’s his job but since we lost the top two some fans think he should have stepped up…. He’s 38 not going to get better but didn’t deserve the stick he got …… that said Brennan for King is a no brainer next season 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Woofy said in Thursday's programme that he's hoping to stay with Sheffield next year. Following the semi-final debacle, I think Jack may be the sacrificial lamb. Woofy, Bomber and the elder Holder sounds like a good heat-leader combo to me. We must keep Picko and Kyle at all costs, with (maybe) Jye Etheridge at no. 6. How do those averages add up?

Why keep Howarth at all costs? He’s been garbage majority of meetings this season. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4BenMoran said:

It was strange seeing them both have an off night I’m not sure what was the reason, Jack has hardly dropped a point all season but just didn’t have any speed at all, not sure if having no mechanic was the cause. Chris started badly and seemed all out of sorts. It’s a very tough choice picking 2/3 but I’d have to say Jack should be the first name on the team sheet for 2025 next to Picko 

20 hours ago, Dornier said:

I would let Woffy go. For me Jack should be the first on the team sheet along

with Chris and Josh.  Don't know about Howarth he's a bit hit and miss. 

Depends what's on the market.

Inclinded to agree - I don't understand why people would suggest taking Tai over Jack, one is certanly at the end of his (great) career the other is on the upward trajectory. Maybe Jack and Tai and not Chris but its hard to see where Chris would ride other than at either Owlerton or BV and he won't be at BV as I suspect their heat leaders for 25 are sorted already!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manifesto said:

It was strange seeing them both have an off night I’m not sure what was the reason, Jack has hardly dropped a point all season but just didn’t have any speed at all, not sure if having no mechanic was the cause. Chris started badly and seemed all out of sorts. It’s a very tough choice picking 2/3 but I’d have to say Jack should be the first name on the team sheet for 2025 next to Picko 

Holder hasnt been great in the GP's for the last 2-3 so maybe he is just not quite up to his usual standards, I saw him at the NSS at the end of Augst he was great and he scored well in the return that night.

BV had their gating boots on that night - Kurtz for example flew out of gate 3 in heat 1! Gate3!!!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

6 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Holder hasnt been great in the GP's for the last 2-3 so maybe he is just not quite up to his usual standards, I saw him at the NSS at the end of Augst he was great and he scored well in the return that night.

BV had their gating boots on that night - Kurtz for example flew out of gate 3 in heat 1! Gate3!!!

They’ve worked on gate 3 at owlerton and it’s working much better now. Gate 4 is suddenly an issue!!

Jack is the best one around Owlerton so he's a lock.

If Chris doesn't want to be back then it'll be Tai at No.5 but if Chris wants in then Tai will probably end up at Oxford with his mate Janowski.

Rumour I heard at the end of last season was that it was either both Holders or neither. With the way they both ride Sheffield you would be surprised if they wanted to swap home tracks. Tai has expressed his desire to be back. I think I would fear for Pickering being moved on so as to keep some semblance of balance to the team - with those 4 it would be a very long tail unless you hit upon 1 or 2 who improve massively

On 9/23/2024 at 4:23 PM, 4thbender said:

Think I would offload Jack, his temperament is not good for himself or the team.