British Speedway Forum

Eurosport, terrible professionalism.

Sadly most sports commentary teams now have to carry a female presenter to show " equal rights" and all that stuff.

Speedway is no different to Football, and Cricket (where the male commentators seem to be in the minority) Wouldn't mind if they got their jobs on merit. Dont think BSN are beyond criticism either, their "team" has driven me away from subscribing to their coverage. 

They all tend to state the flipping obvious, and actually add very little to the vision on screen.   They just dont know when to keep quiet , and when to comment. Their lack of in depth knowledge of the sport is often cruelly exposed.

Tatum is probably the best of the bunch of the ex riders , an eloquent speaker with some public school phrases that he pulls out of the hat... but tries too hard to make every heat sound like its "super speedway ".

Sadly Nigel Pearson left a huge gap in speedway sports commentary 😞 

Wonder how long it will be before we get more sophisticated race analysis , like lap by lap timing, average speed and time over the first 30 yards etc etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Sadly most sports commentary teams now have to carry a female presenter to show " equal rights" and all that stuff.

Speedway is no different to Football, and Cricket (where the male commentators seem to be in the minority) Wouldn't mind if they got their jobs on merit. Dont think BSN are beyond criticism either, their "team" has driven me away from subscribing to their coverage. 

They all tend to state the flipping obvious, and actually add very little to the vision on screen.   They just dont know when to keep quiet , and when to comment. Their lack of in depth knowledge of the sport is often cruelly exposed.

Tatum is probably the best of the bunch of the ex riders , an eloquent speaker with some public school phrases that he pulls out of the hat... but tries too hard to make every heat sound like its "super speedway ".

Sadly Nigel Pearson left a huge gap in speedway sports commentary 😞 

Wonder how long it will be before we get more sophisticated race analysis , like lap by lap timing, average speed and time over the first 30 yards etc etc.

👍Already being done in Poland.Im sure you know that though🤔

4 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

No I didnt know that Fromafar....... haven't seen Polish speedway for a while now.

Even tell you distance covered in race which is quite interesting with some riders on the outside lines and their top speed  but don’t win the race.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LagutaRacingFan said:

I think Abi is really good.

I must admit that speedway misses the voice of Nigel Pearson. 

He always got me pumped up for a big match.

It's funny how much Nigel Pearson was criticized for his commentary style when he was with us, and is now praised so much since his sad passing. Food for thought

Edited by Sir Sidney
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

It's funny how much Nigel Pearson was criticized for his commentary style when he was with us, and is now praised so much since his sad passing. Food for thought

He was slated by people on here who usually whine at absolutely anything. I thought he was brilliant, and he gave the sport great coverage when working on his other sports like the darts and footy. He was extremely clued up on the sport and knew what he was talking about and his excitement coupled with that made for an excellent commentator. 

As I stated before, he and Tatum worked great together but Tatum hasn't got it in him to be lead commentator and obviously cannot handle the pressure hence why he makes so many mistakes, mistakes that you wouldn't hear from him before when working alongside Pearson.

Looking back, Sky Sports was brilliant for speedway and their coverage of both league racing and GPs was absolutely streets ahead of what we get served up with now. Being in Australia I barely watch anything other than the GPs anymore and that is even when work allows so are usually repeats but I find the overall presentation dull and second rate. Pearson and to a lesser extent Millard could make a dull meeting sound exciting whereas the current crop have the reverse effect and make top meetings seem dull and flat.

• Like 2

Apart from the insane repetition of the same phrases, I think that KT does a very good job.

Because of long delays from the weather at the Malilla GP, Kelvin had to talk for  nearly 4 hours non stop on live television, and that's not an easy thing to do believe me.

It takes linguistic skills that most on this forum probably won't possess, and who the hell cares about odd mistakes.