British Speedway Forum

Eurosport, terrible professionalism.

Odds On

7 hours ago, Odds On said:

No problem at all with female presenters in sport, in fact i quite enjoy a number of them who have "history" within that sport, cricket and football are examples that straight away spring to mind, they can adlib and fill in those awkward moments with constructive input. The difference in speedway the person involved with the pit interviews has no history within it which thus means she doesn't have that rapport with the riders, some of the best female presenters in the pits have been the likes of Suzi Perry, Charlie Webster, Sophie Blake, Julia Bradbury but they all had that natural gift of knowing what to say at the right time.. I believe most of those ladies went on to greater things outside of speedway, but could be wrong.

Suzi Perry was great,  but probably under-appreciated at the time as she was still cutting her teeth in the business when she did speedway. When Speedway was on Sky, she'd be interviewing riders walking back to the pits after they'd been brought off. I remember Jimmy Nilsen saying he would get revenge on Joe Screen while stomping back to the pits. It's great telly.

Now, if there's a crash, they cut to a bunch of over-60s eating their sausage and chips because they don't want to upset anyone.

Also, instead of cutting to some interesting conversation between races, we get long shots of stadiums with a tractor going round or race-re-runs with repeats of the races to the same old music every time. Every time that comes on, my 6 year old  complains that it's "that again" and that it's "boring".

Kelvin does his best, but it is a lot to expect an ex-rider to carry the whole programme - and his self-confessed maths problem is a major flaw as it's pretty key in the context of a meeting that if you are 10 points down then two 5-1s aren't going to get you a draw.

I must admit, I do find speedway on Eurosport a hard watch at times and don't always get to the end of a meeting. But it's Eurosport. It's always been poor for as long as I can remember.

There is a lot of space between races at a speedway meeting. The key is how to fill those spaces.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Suzi Perry was great,  but probably under-appreciated at the time as she was still cutting her teeth in the business when she did speedway. When Speedway was on Sky, she'd be interviewing riders walking back to the pits after they'd been brought off. I remember Jimmy Nilsen saying he would get revenge on Joe Screen while stomping back to the pits. It's great telly.

Now, if there's a crash, they cut to a bunch of over-60s eating their sausage and chips because they don't want to upset anyone.

Also, instead of cutting to some interesting conversation between races, we get long shots of stadiums with a tractor going round or race-re-runs with repeats of the races to the same old music every time. Every time that comes on, my 6 year old  complains that it's "that again" and that it's "boring".

Kelvin does his best, but it is a lot to expect an ex-rider to carry the whole programme - and his self-confessed maths problem is a major flaw as it's pretty key in the context of a meeting that if you are 10 points down then two 5-1s aren't going to get you a draw.

I must admit, I do find speedway on Eurosport a hard watch at times and don't always get to the end of a meeting. But it's Eurosport. It's always been poor for as long as I can remember.

There is a lot of space between races at a speedway meeting. The key is how to fill those spaces.

To be fair too Kelvin 2-5/0 and it’s a draw.

The only interview worth watching this season was Abi asking Hawkins about Sayfutdinov. She is ok in what is these days a low budget production 

Nicholls had never asked a searching question of anyone however like Louis he's very good on the technical side 

On 9/20/2024 at 7:56 PM, Chris116 said:

I have been watching the snooker that is on Eurosport this week and compared to BBC coverage it has the same faults as their Speedway coverage when compared to BSN. 

It seems that Eurosport are just not very good at sports coverage.

Their coverage of cycling is usually pretty good.