British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue -V- Leicester POF

Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Some great passing, boys with the biggest set that were willing to mix it got their reward. 

Fricke, Becker and Masters were terrible, Kerr a poor choice for me. Hagon and Douglas rode well and Lawson was Lawson around BV.

Brady could be on for some season, won the league in Poland, final in Sweden tonight and one hand on the cup in the UK. Then the GP Challenge next weekend. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Kurtz and Bewley have to get through tonights final in Sweden first.You never know in speedway.

Tonight’s meeting in Sweden was postponed yesterday so Kurtz and Bewley (and Douglas) have a day off!

Edited by WembleyLion

As a Lions fans it was a disappointment in the end. I think up to when the rain came we  battled and kept ourselves in it. Soon as the rain hit that's when  pretty much looked second best and couldn't get near the Aces. It's such a shame the rain spoilt it because I think the score would have been a little less making it finely poised for the second leg. Either way we've still had a great season and I'm a proud lions supporter. I'm sorry thought guys but the tie is over, the only way Leicester stand a chance is if the rain stays away and the track is completely dry. Only Leicester fans understand how bad we are on a damp track. So unless it's dry I don't see us getting anywhere near the aces. It does feel like abit of a anti climax really but well done to the aces. I have no issue with them winning the play offs, fans I've spoken to have always been friendly so if it wasn't Leicester winning then I'm fine with Belle Vue. Il be watching the second leg at home cheering on the boys. I never go Eurosport meetings just to save money. I've  shown appreciation attending all the other meetings. Been a great season. No longer the wipping boys, but a far more respectable club putting together decent sides and promoting the youth. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

As a Lions fans it was a disappointment in the end. I think up to when the rain came we  battled and kept ourselves in it. Soon as the rain hit that's when  pretty much looked second best and couldn't get near the Aces. It's such a shame the rain spoilt it because I think the score would have been a little less making it finely poised for the second leg. Either way we've still had a great season and I'm a proud lions supporter. I'm sorry thought guys but the tie is over, the only way Leicester stand a chance is if the rain stays away and the track is completely dry. Only Leicester fans understand how bad we are on a damp track. So unless it's dry I don't see us getting anywhere near the aces. It does feel like abit of a anti climax really but well done to the aces. I have no issue with them winning the play offs, fans I've spoken to have always been friendly so if it wasn't Leicester winning then I'm fine with Belle Vue. Il be watching the second leg at home cheering on the boys. I never go Eurosport meetings just to save money. I've  shown appreciation attending all the other meetings. Been a great season. No longer the wipping boys, but a far more respectable club putting together decent sides and promoting the youth. 

Get yourself down there man! What if Lions pulled it off and you're sat on your sofa at home watching some adverts!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Kurtz and Bewley have to get through tonights final in Sweden first.You never know in speedway.

Very poor cynical view that we all know what you are implying but coming from a wolves fan I expect nothing more :nono:and if you knew your speedway Douglas rides for Dackarna with Bewley & Kurtz perhaps categorise him with Dan& Brady :nono: Dan is riding weds also for Wroclaw perhaps you might send him best wishes for the meeting :nono:I get you don't like the Aces fair enough everyone has there right for that but cynical views are very poor :nono:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Up to heat 7 before the rain we held an 8 point lead with heat 13 & 15 to come which were almost certainly 5-1 giving us a 16 cushion. Once the rain came down Leicester kept as in contact as they had beforehand but for them they had the dreaded heat 13 & 15 which was alway going to seal the fate. 

In the second have of the meeting aside from those two big heats The Aces could only manage to increase their lead by two in heat 14. Up to the rain the rest of the team aside from our awesome top two gained a six point advantage, something they were unable to replicate once the rain came down. Thank god for our top two who imo would have performed superbly whatever the weather. 

59 minutes ago, orion said:

Come on..last time people moaned about Oct now they bring it forward people moan about it again .in the last decade we had some really wet Weather in August while September been really good...its fine to run the final in late September 

Its not a moan. Its an observation.

With 15 home meetings, and the sport is supposedly a summer sport their is an opportunity to benefit from having a small league and condense the season over 5 months. Focus on the time of year with better weather.  

Phil Morris and the Club Owners have to opportunity to improve the sport to make it more attract to potential new fans and it will cost them nothing. It could also benefit more regular fans who get into the habit of attending a weekly home fixture. 

16 minutes ago, SJA said:

With 15 home meetings, and the sport is supposedly a summer sport their is an opportunity to benefit from having a small league and condense the season over 5 months. Focus on the time of year with better weather.  

Phil Morris and the Club Owners have to opportunity to improve the sport to make it more attract to potential new fans and it will cost them nothing. It could also benefit more regular fans who get into the habit of attending a weekly home fixture. 

Personally I think that an 8 team, six riders per team "Superleague" is a large opportunity...

Ride once home and away..

Top four into the Play Offs. (Radical but 1st v 4th and 2nd v v 3rd).:D

No development riders..

These teams then run a "Championship/NDL" hybrid team with all the rest...

Similar to Oxford now, you would get pretty much, weekly Speedway at each track..

You could have the "Superleague" then done for August end...

Edited by mikebv

Over the past two seasons, Leicester seem to rely heavily on Fricke scoring double figures and when he doesn't, the others struggle to fill the void sufficiently. He was completely AWOL last night.

The match was moderately entertaining, but Belle Vue riders passing the Lions riders became like watching fish being shot in a barrel. 

Can the second leg go ahead on Thursday? The track must have needed remedial work, after the Ipswich match. I think last Friday was mostly dry, but on Saturday when I got back to Leicester around 6pm it was already tipping it down with rain and by 7pm the street drains had filled and roads were flooding. Sunday it rained on and off, same yesterday but possibly more heavily. If the past is anything to judge by, the water tanks at Beaumont Park will have filled up and once emptied would probably rapidly re-fill with water standing on the track and centre area. In the past, I think in the past they've had problems with getting heavy vehicles on to the track for necessary maintenance and water removal following sustained heavy rain, as the vehicles would sink into the track and cause serious damage. But maybe, hopefully, work carried out during a recent winter has improved this? Also, today is a rare day of respite from rain, and more is forecast tomorrow into Thursday morning although that could have all changed by now!

With the tradeoffs that went on between SCB  and Eurosport over the playoff dates and pairings, it could be that Eurosport is now playing hardball in terms of the final being done and dusted and doesn't have leeway with its broadcast schedules and OB unit deployment plans. But if it's not feasible for the track to be made ready, wouldn't it be better for everyone if a decision is made now to move it to next week, possibly without it being on TV, rather than risk having a farce on live TV?

56 minutes ago, SJA said:

I would say Sept is summer as I just said September has been better and drier than most of the other months in recent years..I would say Sept is a much month than April for example.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

And you want to hope Bewley gets through Wednesday night’s meeting. He’ll be pushing hard for Wroclaw in front of a home crowd.

4 hours ago, Ace no.5 said:

Sorry, doesn't make much sense... If they were in front and were passed then they didn't "bugger off" did they? The fact of the matter was, when the Lions gated, the Aces chased and tried to pass, often doing so. When a BV rider gated, the Lions showed no attitude to chase. That track was very much raceable all night. As for Fricke and Masters "refusing to ride heat 15"... Where has this come from? Any evidence? Don't think either would have been picked anyway! Douglas was a defo pick. Fricke had been awful, only got his 4+1 because Kurtz lifted after outgating him in heat 1.

When interviewed before that last heat, Dickson said that Douglas and Lawson wanted to ride in heat 15, which implied that none of the others did.

8 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

When interviewed before that last heat, Dickson said that Douglas and Lawson wanted to ride in heat 15, which implied that none of the others did.

They were pretty much the best riders for Leicester on the night anyway - Douglas was their only heat leader winner too!