British Speedway Forum

Belle Vue -V- Leicester POF

9 hours ago, 40-38 said:

The fact that whoever got in front even after passing just buggered off was evidence of that IMO.

Sorry, doesn't make much sense... If they were in front and were passed then they didn't "bugger off" did they? The fact of the matter was, when the Lions gated, the Aces chased and tried to pass, often doing so. When a BV rider gated, the Lions showed no attitude to chase. That track was very much raceable all night. As for Fricke and Masters "refusing to ride heat 15"... Where has this come from? Any evidence? Don't think either would have been picked anyway! Douglas was a defo pick. Fricke had been awful, only got his 4+1 because Kurtz lifted after outgating him in heat 1.

Edited by Ace no.5
  • Like 3

So all things considered....all the so called speedway experts on here before tapes up said the track would be a great leveller and it was advantage Leicester....the track was in great nick and the track staff deserve some credit for preparing a decent track, some clubs would of served an absolute ploughed field.

Belle Vue wanted it that lot more and its a huge advantage to take to Leicester...always great to watch a top English rider being the best on show, and by quite a distance.

Well done the Aces for preparing a decent track and also for the performance on it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Odds On said:

So all things considered....all the so called speedway experts on here before tapes up said the track would be a great leveller and it was advantage Leicester....the track was in great nick and the track staff deserve some credit for preparing a decent track, some clubs would of served an absolute ploughed field.

Belle Vue wanted it that lot more and its a huge advantage to take to Leicester...always great to watch a top English rider being the best on show, and by quite a distance.

Well done the Aces for preparing a decent track and also for the performance on it.

Cant see Leicester  getting that many points back ..Fricke was poor.B/Vue wanted it more ..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ace no.5 said:

Sorry, doesn't make much sense... If they were in front and were passed then they didn't "bugger off" did they? The fact of the matter was, when the Lions gated, the Aces chased and tried to pass, often doing so. When a BV rider gated, the Lions showed no attitude to chase. That track was very much rateable all night. As for Fricke and Masters "refusing to ride heat 15"... Where has this come from? Any evidence? Don't think either would have been picked anyway! Douglas was a defo pick. Fricke had been awful, only got his 4+1 because Kurtz lifted after outgating him in heat 1.

I've no idea where the Fricke and Masters thing came from, probably just mischief making, as I'd not have picked either anyway, although you should be able to rely on your no.1 in pressure situations. Fricke has form for that though.

In terms of what I meant by buggering off, once anyone got past they were half a straight in front at least, everybody else got filled in and dropped back. Clearly the Lions didn't want to put it in and the Aces did, but I still think running that meeting in those conditions was a travesty for Speedway, although it'd hardly be the first one. I know I'm in a very small minority but I don't think it was a good meeting, and not just because Leicester had no balls.

52 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I see your point....but there was more 'passing'- ('exciting riding') in the last 7 Heats (when it was at its wettest) than in all 30 Heats of the semi-final between Leicester/Ipswich....

Speaking from a neutral, whose not seen much excitement this season! 😃

I don't disagree that there was passing, whether it was exciting I guess depends on your POV, it wasn't for me, partly down to the attitude of my team but equally I don't think that riders getting filled in like that is entertaining. Had it not started raining again I think it would have been a better contest, as it did look like it was developing nicely in Heat 4 when Bewley went out to the fence.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ouch said:

Now on to Thursday, surely it’s possible to have the track prepared for racing. Can’t the Leicester fans demand the promoters provide a racing strip fit for the event? 

I fear the damage may already have been done on Saturday, Sunday & Monday when we had an absolute deluge of rain with proper flooding, it's still not really dried up and more is forecast for Wednesday night, Thursday morning. The only way the track will be in normal condition is if it's worked all day today, tomorrow and covered on Wednesday night.

13 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I don't disagree that there was passing, whether it was exciting I guess depends on your POV, it wasn't for me, partly down to the attitude of my team but equally I don't think that riders getting filled in like that is entertaining. Had it not started raining again I think it would have been a better contest, as it did look like it was developing nicely in Heat 4 when Bewley went out to the fence.

The double pass by Blodorn within five seconds of each not exciting? 

The NKI changing lines pass of Becker not exciting? 

Bewley roaring around the boards passing several riders not exciting?

You must have extremely high expectations ....:D

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I've no idea where the Fricke and Masters thing came from, probably just mischief making, as I'd not have picked either anyway, although you should be able to rely on your no.1 in pressure situations. Fricke has form for that though.

In terms of what I meant by buggering off, once anyone got past they were half a straight in front at least, everybody else got filled in and dropped back. Clearly the Lions didn't want to put it in and the Aces did, but I still think running that meeting in those conditions was a travesty for Speedway, although it'd hardly be the first one. I know I'm in a very small minority but I don't think it was a good meeting, and not just because Leicester had no balls.

A travesty for speedway?  Mate I think you're clutching at straws with that one, not one fall all meeting, a decent amount of passing, reasonable times throughout. 

I understand you being gutted at the result but that was nothing to do with the condition of the track, it was down to your team not wanting to know, for me the only Lions rider to come out of it with any credit was Sam Hagon, he was prepared to give a good go and deserved every point he got. Fricke, Masters and Becker were poor imo.

Belle Vue track staff deserve a lot of praise for ensuring the meeting went ahead as scheduled, it wasn't a quagmire by any stretch of imagination, Bewley & Kurtz proved you could venture out wide and prosper, Leicester's top liners just weren't prepared to give it a go.

One hand on the trophy but still all to play for on Thursday, here's hoping the track can deliver a decent meeting.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IainB said:

I fear the damage may already have been done on Saturday, Sunday & Monday when we had an absolute deluge of rain with proper flooding, it's still not really dried up and more is forecast for Wednesday night, Thursday morning. The only way the track will be in normal condition is if it's worked all day today, tomorrow and covered on Wednesday night.

I'd be surprised if we can get it rideable never mind raceable with what's forecast, looking at how difficult it was to get it to drain by the kerb against Ipswich once it rained again on an already wet track.

25 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

How many meeting at Leicester have been better this season and can I view them on the Lions Tv page?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The double pass by Blodorn within five seconds of each not exciting? 

The NKI changing lines pass of Becker not exciting? 

Bewley roaring around the boards passing several riders not exciting?

You must have extremely high expectations ....:D

I often think it takes two riders to make an exciting race, and ours didn't want to know. Now that's their fault of course, but you were under no danger of being passed back were you? It's like watching the back markers getting passed by Schumacher, inevitable but not exciting.

5 minutes ago, nw42 said:

A travesty for speedway?  Mate I think you're clutching at straws with that one, not one fall all meeting, a decent amount of passing, reasonable times throughout. 

I understand you being gutted at the result but that was nothing to do with the condition of the track, it was down to your team not wanting to know, for me the only Lions rider to come out of it with any credit was Sam Hagon, he was prepared to give a good go and deserved every point he got. Fricke, Masters and Becker were poor imo.

Belle Vue track staff deserve a lot of praise for ensuring the meeting went ahead as scheduled, it wasn't a quagmire by any stretch of imagination, Bewley & Kurtz proved you could venture out wide and prosper, Leicester's top liners just weren't prepared to give it a go.

One hand on the trophy but still all to play for on Thursday, here's hoping the track can deliver a decent meeting.

I just think running your showpiece meeting after the country had a months rain in a few days was silly.

It wasn't a quagmire, Belle Vue rode well, Leicester weren't interested, I don't think it was entertaining. All of those things can be true at the same time as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoyed the meeting last night as a neutral more so than my £240 hotel room. Credit for the Belle Vue track staff for getting the meeting on. I suspect it may be just out of reach for Leicester in the second leg but I do feel based on who I spoke to leaving the stadium the its not all done and dusted as many fans think.

However the one thing I would say is that the track could have been better if the meeting was held in August as Speedway is a summer sport. So allowing that you need two reserve dates, the August Bank Holiday was Monday 26th, allow a week for the SON and if you raced at home the season could have started on the 22nd April. (based on the programme saying that it was Issue 15).

So why not run mid September until the end of August & let the final take place on a dry track so it is s showpiece. By all means then have some other competition if clubs think their is demand for meeting on cold, damp nights in September and October

28 minutes ago, SJA said:

I enjoyed the meeting last night as a neutral more so than my £240 hotel room. Credit for the Belle Vue track staff for getting the meeting on. I suspect it may be just out of reach for Leicester in the second leg but I do feel based on who I spoke to leaving the stadium the its not all done and dusted as many fans think.

However the one thing I would say is that the track could have been better if the meeting was held in August as Speedway is a summer sport. So allowing that you need two reserve dates, the August Bank Holiday was Monday 26th, allow a week for the SON and if you raced at home the season could have started on the 22nd April. (based on the programme saying that it was Issue 15).

So why not run mid September until the end of August & let the final take place on a dry track so it is s showpiece. By all means then have some other competition if clubs think their is demand for meeting on cold, damp nights in September and October

I don't think it really matters what time of year you run it, you're always pretty likely to run into some kind of weather in the UK. But I do think it would be wise to perhaps not run your showpiece event less than 24 hours after such an extraordinary weather event especially with 4 and a half weeks left of the season. That said I know there are TV schedules to be adhered to and if Belle Vue wanted to run to take advantage of their home track then that's fair enough I suppose. Unfortunately that's what you're going to get when you run a cup competition to decide a league title. 

Personally I didn't enjoy it but that was more to do with the fact that Leicester were pretty crap tbh. I thought the way they were celebrating after the semis that was pretty dangerous and the semi victory was their final. If I took my Lions hat off I could see that it would have been pretty entertaining racing wise, the Aces fans seemed pretty entertained. On to Thursday...

£240!!! :shock:

Edited by IainB
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, 40-38 said:

I just think running your showpiece meeting after the country had a months rain in a few days was silly.

It wasn't a quagmire, Belle Vue rode well, Leicester weren't interested, I don't think it was entertaining. All of those things can be true at the same time as far as I'm concerned.

As I neutral I enjoy it .in terms of passing etc it was above a ave meeting . I thought it was very entertaining 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SJA said:

Come on..last time people moaned about Oct now they bring it forward people moan about it again .in the last decade we had some really wet Weather in August while September been really good...its fine to run the final in late September 

• Like 1