British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Poole v Oxford; Weds 25th and Fri 27th Sept

6 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

And in that race he looking across as soon as he left the start seeing where the others are, Thompsen left a bit of room not a lot but some but boughen had already decided not to go for it, he does look a natural on a bike when in infront but it’s clear for everyone to see he is shutting off going into first bends even at Oxford and he has got to get over that 

Earlier in the year he seemed more confident, a bit like Hagon.

24 minutes ago, Toady said:

Kasprazak rode for many many clubs throughout his career in the uk making him a journeyman as I said.

If you know anything about speedway then will realise that Boughen is very young and only just started riding speedway so just like everyone he has to learn his craft and needs encouragement not criticism.

Don’t think you understand the mental aspect of speedway, young or old he has the ability and the speed but shutting off is different to coming last, he doesn’t like riders around him and it’s clear to see, will he get over that ?Well it’s retired many top riders in the past when they don’t want to mix it, I’m not criticising the guy, I’m just pointing out he has an issue it’s up to him how he remedies it 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Earlier in the year he seemed more confident, a bit like Hagon.

But the difference is Hagon isn’t shutting off, as I posted elsewhere there is a difference between losing and shutting off, every rider sufferers a confidence loss at some point in their career but this usually results in trying harder, getting frustrated, trying different things and blaming everyone else but yourself but never shutting off 

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Anybody seen or heard from Trackprat ? 😆😆😁

I don't understand the dumb Paul fans. They cry when i'm on here to get me banned then when i don't come on here the childish name calling starts again. Strange inbred people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Many of us commented on the faux pas the Oxford manager made in heat 12 of the first leg at Cowley, where Boughen was left in the heat when he should have been replaced by Killeen.

Sometimes mistakes happen and switches are missed. But surely, the senior members of the Oxford team, Nicholls or Masters, could have pointed out the tactical error to Peter Schroeck, making the suggestion of a reserve change?

Or are riders oblivious to such moves and only concentrating on their own rides?

From my own experience of being in the pits with riders most are naturally focused on doing their own rides and one thing I have discovered when helping riders is how the time between races seems to pass a lot quicker in the pits than it does on the terraces. 
I doubt many riders would be fully in tune with potential tactical issues during the meeting.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Don’t think you understand the mental aspect of speedway, young or old he has the ability and the speed but shutting off is different to coming last, he doesn’t like riders around him and it’s clear to see, will he get over that ?Well it’s retired many top riders in the past when they don’t want to mix it, I’m not criticising the guy, I’m just pointing out he has an issue it’s up to him how he remedies it 

Quite a few years back now, there was a young rider by the name of Justin Elkins. He was very fast. After meetings he took to the track and recorded times similar to the meeting. A best of three race against another young rider was organised and young Justin beat Jason Crump. in the match races. One went on to become World Champion, while the other faded in obscurity within a few seasons. 

Just like Ashton Boughen, Justin Elkins didn’t like riders around him and ended up trying to cover it up by having false EF’s etc. He had the ability but couldn’t get over the closeness of other riders. I remember going to Monmore and Elkins was riding at number two for Poole. In heat one he gated and held off an almost unbeatable Ronnie Corey for four laps. We were gobsmacked. I think that was the highlight in his career. 

2 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Many of us commented on the faux pas the Oxford manager made in heat 12 of the first leg at Cowley, where Boughen was left in the heat when he should have been replaced by Killeen.

Sometimes mistakes happen and switches are missed. But surely, the senior members of the Oxford team, Nicholls or Masters, could have pointed out the tactical error to Peter Schroeck, making the suggestion of a reserve change?

Or are riders oblivious to such moves and only concentrating on their own rides?

Lets be honest if Peter Schroeck needed to be told / reminded to bring in a high scoring Luke Killeen into heat 12, then he shouldn't be a team manager. If I was the Oxford promotion, I would've sacked him on the spot.

Maybe he's good with motivation, ot working with the kids, then fine - let him do that. But keep him away from any tactical decisions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Quite a few years back now, there was a young rider by the name of Justin Elkins. He was very fast. After meetings he took to the track and recorded times similar to the meeting. A best of three race against another young rider was organised and young Justin beat Jason Crump. in the match races. One went on to become World Champion, while the other faded in obscurity within a few seasons. 

Just like Ashton Boughen, Justin Elkins didn’t like riders around him and ended up trying to cover it up by having false EF’s etc. He had the ability but couldn’t get over the closeness of other riders. I remember going to Monmore and Elkins was riding at number two for Poole. In heat one he gated and held off an almost unbeatable Ronnie Corey for four laps. We were gobsmacked. I think that was the highlight in his career. 

Adam  Allott was  like that, never used to want to mix it. If he gated he could beat any heatleaders but when he didn’t he looked woeful at the back.

Edited by Youhave2minutes

27 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I raced with Justin at Weymouth, very complex character 

2 hours ago, Toady said:

Kasprazak rode for many many clubs throughout his career in the uk making him a journeyman as I said.

If you know anything about speedway then will realise that Boughen is very young and only just started riding speedway so just like everyone he has to learn his craft and needs encouragement not criticism.

This has to be one of the best lines.

Saying to an ex rider If you knew anything about speedway made me laugh out loud

25 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

As in? What was he like?

Definitely faking his EFs, wouldn’t really talk to anyone, kept himself to himself, not what you would call one of the lads ,after a EF when I asked what was the problem was he would just say sorted it but he never did anything to the bike, you couldn’t depend on him to win a meeting for you as you never knew when his EFs would strike but when he was good he was really good, I often thought why is he doing it but as I’ve learnt the mind is a strange thing and maybe he didn’t know he was doing it 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Youhave2minutes said:

Adam  Allott was  like that, never used to want to mix it. If he gated he could beat any heatleaders but when he didn’t he looked woeful at the back.

Yes my thoughts went straight to Adam .....

17 hours ago, gjcone44 said:

they go on about Nichols  having a bad night he put more effort in than anyone last night at trying to over take.

Nothing in the track for Nicholls to use, the heat leaders had to gate and be in front coming out of turn 2 otherwise that was it, proved that was the case in the race Ben Cook was last.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Definitely faking his EFs, wouldn’t really talk to anyone, kept himself to himself, not what you would call one of the lads ,after a EF when I asked what was the problem was he would just say sorted it but he never did anything to the bike, you couldn’t depend on him to win a meeting for you as you never knew when his EFs would strike but when he was good he was really good, I often thought why is he doing it but as I’ve learnt the mind is a strange thing and maybe he didn’t know he was doing it 

I seen Elkins have plenty of engine failures at Reading and Newport, some well whist clear at the front some when well back. Very odd rider though.

Allott came to mind as well. 

adam allott averaged ten at lynn and around four away while riding for the stars

at lynn he generally made good gates and would beat the leagues top men by quarter of a lap, he was small and light and very quick

but away from home and even at lynn when he didn't gate he could lose to the worst number sevens as hed just shut off into every bend

very frustrating rider 

11 hours ago, Trackrat said:

I don't understand the dumb Paul fans. They cry when i'm on here to get me banned then when i don't come on here the childish name calling starts again. Strange inbred people.

Marmite