British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Poole v Oxford; Weds 25th and Fri 27th Sept

1 minute ago, Gavan said:

If you support Poole and don’t agree with the following then you are not a speedway fan 

Foord should have been excluded … he is simply a danger on a bike and his and his family’s reactions were disgraceful…. If you condone that that’s shocking 

Boughen rightfully was excluded with Zach Cook …. Bet you Poole numpties agree there 

Nicholls made a good start 

Poole fans except the odd one or two are so pathetically blinkered it’s embarrassing 

Shovlar is a troll and like a child and nobody takes him seriously 

Then you get a few other morons trying to defend Foord lol

Foreverblue I’m not including you 

Boughen wasn't excluded when he caused the crash with Cook, it was all 4 back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Thought he was … he was lucky not to be 

He should of been, IMO riding on track like that with zero confidence is nearly as dangerous as riding like an absolute fruitcake like Foord.

49 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

I am completely neutral and I don’t even dislike Poole which admittedly might seem unusual for a non Poole fan.

So congratulations to the Pirates and hard luck to the Cheetahs.

As most know Schroeck’s failure to use Killeen in heat 12 at Oxford certainly didn’t help. Also throwing Jody Scott in at the deep end didn’t pay off although he will have gained valuable experience for next season. Unfortunately by his own very high standards Scott Nicholls didn’t have a great night either. 

The Foord, Killeen crash happened just in front of where I was sitting. Foord should have been excluded in my mind although I could understand how someone on the other side of the stadium would not have seen what I saw. With BSN replays (which I have also seen) the ref should have been able to get it right though!

In the end though Poole won and Oxford didn’t. Both clubs have had a very good season and have lots to be pleased about and thankful for so well done to both of them and I look forward to attending both legs of the cup final.

The bottom line is Poole were the best team in the league. They assembled a strong top 4, including three riders with significant potential to improve (and all three did, although Zach seemed to save his best performances for the  Brummies). Then they signed 'a second-rate' Dane already regarded as a failure over here that nobody else had the remotest interest in and got points out of him. Then they  managed to get far more from Hagon (at least in the first half of the season) and Foord (who has a lower NDL average than Scott or Perry) than could reasonably be expected.

Whether it's in spotting who to sign or how they bring out the best in riders once signed Poole have that extra edge. My one reservation would be their lack of interest in grassroots speedway.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The bottom line is Poole were the best team in the league. They assembled a strong top 4, including three riders with significant potential to improve (and all three did, although Zach seemed to save his best performances for the  Brummies). Then they signed 'a second-rate' Dane already regarded as a failure over here that nobody else had the remotest interest in and got points out of him. Then they  managed to get far more from Hagon (at least in the first half of the season) and Foord (who has a lower NDL average than Scott or Perry) than could reasonably be expected.

Whether it's in spotting who to sign or how they bring out the best in riders once signed Poole have that extra edge. My one reservation would be their lack of interest in grassroots speedway.

But they are interested in hoovering up the NDL riders that come to the fore (at other promotions expense), but then spit them out when the promise doesn't materialise for whatever reason (e.g. Max Perry).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I’m not on his case, he has everything of the kasprazak about him, wins by beating the best and then shuts off next race, doesn’t matter if he is 17 or 57 there is clearly a confidence issue, there is a difference between losing and shutting off going into first corner and that is confidence 

When he first came on the scene I watched him a few times on TV and he was shutting off a lot then when in traffic, I pointed this out on here,  is it confidence or just plain fear?

2 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Firstly congratulations to Poole. They were the class act of the league throughout the season, and worthy winners. Another masterclass in team building.

A lot has been made of Peter Schroeck's poor decision in the first leg, but an arguably even bigger blunder was not finding a suitable guest for Atkins/Roynon. Relying on Jody Scott was an awful decision, I don't think he beat an opposing rider over the two legs (bar Thomsen when he had bike issues). I like the lad and he's going to improve, but he's just not Championship level yet. Surely a decent guest wouldn't have been too hard to find for a final? Oxford had Paul Starke at Poole in the league and someone like him taking six rides instead of Scott could have been the difference. Poor effort from Schroeck in my opinion. He has had an absolute stinker in this final.

Anyway, congratulations to Poole again. On to the KO Cup now.

Workington were in the play-offs, so Starke ruled out as rules don't allow him to guest for another team within the play-offs. 

4 minutes ago, Gambo said:

But they are interested in hoovering up the NDL riders that come to the fore (at other promotions expense), but then spit them out when the promise doesn't materialise for whatever reason (e.g. Max Perry).

Max wasn’t scoring. He needs to toughen himself up, but he is young and could improve. Vinnie Ford is chalk and cheese to Perry. Same age but not afraid to get stuck in and mix it. Raw in the extreme and similar to Killeen when he was at Plymouth. Fast but wild. His experience will grow in the next couple of seasons and by 20 he could be a very good rider. 

Matt is loyal to riders. In return he expects commitment and improvement. Also said commitment cost us the title last season when Tarasenko offered his services to Poole but he stuck with his 1-7 as no rider at the time deserved to be dropped. He said In hindsight a mistake as it handed Glasgow the title.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Workington were in the play-offs, so Starke ruled out as rules don't allow him to guest for another team within the play-offs. 

I didn't mean Starke specifically, was just using him as an example. As I said, I like Jody and think he's got a good future, but there must have been a better option for a playoff final against a very strong team.

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Matt is loyal to riders. In return he expects commitment and improvement. Also said commitment cost us the title last season when Tarasenko offered his services to Poole but he stuck with his 1-7 as no rider at the time deserved to be dropped. He said In hindsight a mistake as it handed Glasgow the title.

Jackanory, jackanory

Edited by Bojangles
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Jackanory, jackanory

I’m afraid it is true. Poole were offered Tarasenko before he signed for Glasgow. Matt didn’t want to sack Kyle Newman in order to bring him in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tarasenko was supposed to sign for Birmingham. Glasgow remember sign wojydolo and signed tarasenko after that was blocked. Reality is he offered his services to all championship clubs isn't it, but why let that get in the way of an excuse that's taken a year to come up with 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Max wasn’t scoring. He needs to toughen himself up, but he is young and could improve. Vinnie Ford is chalk and cheese to Perry. Same age but not afraid to get stuck in and mix it. Raw in the extreme and similar to Killeen when he was at Plymouth. Fast but wild. His experience will grow in the next couple of seasons and by 20 he could be a very good rider. 

Missed (or ignored) my point completely! 

• Like 2