British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Poole v Oxford; Weds 25th and Fri 27th Sept

7 minutes ago, TTT said:

Nobody outside of the usual suspects care about rose tinted biased Poole takes.

We all know the usual suspects like yourself would jump on here to defend a Poole rider even if they robbed a Granny in broad daylight.

Nothing to do with rose tints, we have had enough riders in wheelchairs, we dont want anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Any Oxford fan or neutral who felt Oxford were unlucky with refereeing decisions, should also admit they should've had a bigger lead after the non inclusion of Killeen in heat 12 of the first leg.

Would a 14 or 16 point lead have changed the tone of the match, we'll never know. But if the refs getting the blame, Schroeck should too.

Firstly congratulations to Poole. They were the class act of the league throughout the season, and worthy winners. Another masterclass in team building.

A lot has been made of Peter Schroeck's poor decision in the first leg, but an arguably even bigger blunder was not finding a suitable guest for Atkins/Roynon. Relying on Jody Scott was an awful decision, I don't think he beat an opposing rider over the two legs (bar Thomsen when he had bike issues). I like the lad and he's going to improve, but he's just not Championship level yet. Surely a decent guest wouldn't have been too hard to find for a final? Oxford had Paul Starke at Poole in the league and someone like him taking six rides instead of Scott could have been the difference. Poor effort from Schroeck in my opinion. He has had an absolute stinker in this final.

Anyway, congratulations to Poole again. On to the KO Cup now.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Nothing to do with rose tints, we have had enough riders in wheelchairs, we dont want anymore.

Nobody does, Hence why he needs to calm himself and listen to the advice that other riders are giving him (Bomber)

Riding a bike with no brakes like a bull in a china shop is only going to end one way if Vinnie continues in his current form.

From a Poole perspective obviously really enjoyable meeting. Drama, crashes and hard racing. On the relevant incidents. Lawson took Masters wheel so correct decision, Vinnie footrest got caught in Killeen's front wheel so he had got ahead but he did seem to move over so probably alot would have given it the other way.  I thought Nicholls was rolling but maybe just a great start so a bit unlucky. Boughen slowed going in to first bend leaving Zach nowhere to go. Vinnie took out Jody Scott which looked reckless and doesnt look any better on replay! As Brennan said if he had rode better Saturday we wouldnt have had this steep hill to climb but he rectified that last night. Killeen's second crash was on his own and walked away so not sure why withdrawn maybe effects of earlier crash.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Firstly congratulations to Poole. They were the class act of the league throughout the season, and worthy winners. Another masterclass in team building.

A lot has been made of Peter Schroeck's poor decision in the first leg, but an arguably even bigger blunder was not finding a suitable guest for Atkins/Roynon. Relying on Jody Scott was an awful decision, I don't think he beat an opposing rider over the two legs (bar Thomsen when he had bike issues). I like the lad and he's going to improve, but he's just not Championship level yet. Surely a decent guest wouldn't have been too hard to find for a final? Oxford had Paul Starke at Poole in the league and someone like him taking six rides instead of Scott could have been the difference. Poor effort from Schroeck in my opinion. He has had an absolute stinker in this final.

Anyway, congratulations to Poole again. On to the KO Cup now.

I know Oxford like to promote their youngsters & that is admirable, but there is a time & a place for doing that. Imo it's not when you are chasing a Premiership play-offs place (dropping Kemp) not in a grand final (not using Starke?)

Maybe they tried a guest & couldn't get one, but I agree Starke could've made a big difference.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foreverblue said:

From a Poole perspective obviously really enjoyable meeting. Drama, crashes and hard racing. On the relevant incidents. Lawson took Masters wheel so correct decision, Vinnie footrest got caught in Killeen's front wheel so he had got ahead but he did seem to move over so probably alot would have given it the other way.  I thought Nicholls was rolling but maybe just a great start so a bit unlucky. Boughen slowed going in to first bend leaving Zach nowhere to go. Vinnie took out Jody Scott which looked reckless and doesnt look any better on replay! As Brennan said if he had rode better Saturday we wouldnt have had this steep hill to climb but he rectified that last night. Killeen's second crash was on his own and walked away so not sure why withdrawn maybe effects of earlier crash.

Agree with most of this assessment. A sensible and non-biased Poole account of the meeting, thank you. As for Killeen, he said on BSN the medical team had withdrawn him and he wanted to continue. Slightly worrying that he said the second bang on the head "fixed his blurred vision and cured his headache".

18 minutes ago, TTT said:

Nobody does, Hence why he needs to calm himself and listen to the advice that other riders are giving him (Bomber)

Riding a bike with no brakes like a bull in a china shop is only going to end one way if Vinnie continues in his current form.

He needs to mature, his winding up of Oxford fans was not needed and as the old adage says to finish first, first you have to finish!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Agree with most of this assessment. A sensible and non-biased Poole account of the meeting, thank you. As for Killeen, he said on BSN the medical team had withdrawn him and he wanted to continue. Slightly worrying that he said the second bang on the head "fixed his blurred vision and cured his headache".

Couldn't believe it when he said that, correct call by the medical team, two bangs on the head. 

Edited by M.D
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I know Oxford like to promote their youngsters & that is admirable, but there is a time & a place for doing that. Imo it's not when you are chasing a Premiership play-offs place (dropping Kemp) not in a grand final (not using Starke?)

Maybe they tried a guest & couldn't get one, but I agree Starke could've made a big difference.

Couldn't use Starke, he was in the play offs for Workington. But I agree they should have found a better guest

18 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I think that was the ref's logic on the Foord/Killeen incident - that Foord was ahead. I never understand that logic though. Just because you are ahead doesn't mean you can't be at fault. Particularly if you are not clear in front but just technically ahead.

• Like 2

I am completely neutral and I don’t even dislike Poole which admittedly might seem unusual for a non Poole fan.

So congratulations to the Pirates and hard luck to the Cheetahs.

As most know Schroeck’s failure to use Killeen in heat 12 at Oxford certainly didn’t help. Also throwing Jody Scott in at the deep end didn’t pay off although he will have gained valuable experience for next season. Unfortunately by his own very high standards Scott Nicholls didn’t have a great night either. 

The Foord, Killeen crash happened just in front of where I was sitting. Foord should have been excluded in my mind although I could understand how someone on the other side of the stadium would not have seen what I saw. With BSN replays (which I have also seen) the ref should have been able to get it right though!

In the end though Poole won and Oxford didn’t. Both clubs have had a very good season and have lots to be pleased about and thankful for so well done to both of them and I look forward to attending both legs of the cup final.

Edited by WembleyLion

33 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I agree 100%, Using a junior in the final when you had the option of using guest is a most bazaar decision on Oxford’s management team. Not Jody Scott's faults and he did get invaluable experience, which could hold him in good stead for next year. So many people said using him and a very fragile Boughen was going to be their downfall and so it proved.

If you consider, even with the early loss of Killeen and the poor meeting for Scott Nicholls, Oxford were still in the hunt right up to heat 12. That though proved to be the turning point. There was a glimmer of hope that after beating Lawson, Boughen would get the better of Cooke or at least get a second, but he reverted to type and couldn’t beat the Poole reserve and the 5-1 that followed sealed their fate. 

So how do they go about the Cup final? Same team, same result. We shall see.

1 minute ago, tyler42 said:

I agree 100%, Using a junior in the final when you had the option of using guest is a most bazaar decision on Oxford’s management team. Not Jody Scott's faults and he did get invaluable experience, which could hold him in good stead for next year. So many people said using him and a very fragile Boughen was going to be their downfall and so it proved.

If you consider, even with the early loss of Killeen and the poor meeting for Scott Nicholls, Oxford were still in the hunt right up to heat 12. That though proved to be the turning point. There was a glimmer of hope that after beating Lawson, Boughen would get the better of Cooke or at least get a second, but he reverted to type and couldn’t beat the Poole reserve and the 5-1 that followed sealed their fate. 

So how do they go about the Cup final? Same team, same result. We shall see.

Will Killeen be exempt due to the bang on the head twice. If so Poole it’s yours for the taking

The one thing not mentioned on here is the acumen and wisdom of team managers when things get tough, middlo has had good teams to manage for lots of years but he is good at his job, if oxfords management knew there was unrest / injury with boughen they could have played the injury card etc etc .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shaleshifter said:

Don't need  to watch it. Killen was not taken out by Foord.

Scott Nicholls was rolling at the start so it was called back.

Ben Cook did not take out Ashton Boughen.

Your post is complete nonsense apart from the Vinnie Foord and Jody Scott incident which Vinnie was at fault.

Plus your stupid comment saying the ref was a homer.

It's Poole not Poodle.

When are your eyes being tested 

Fair play you deserved the title but why are Poole fans like this ?

Cant see anything wrong ever

This is why Poole are not liked it’s their idiotic fan base 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Nice to see a Poole fan saying it how it is.

• Like 2

If you support Poole and don’t agree with the following then you are not a speedway fan 

Foord should have been excluded … he is simply a danger on a bike and his and his family’s reactions were disgraceful…. If you condone that that’s shocking 

Boughen rightfully was excluded with Zach Cook …. Bet you Poole numpties agree there 

Nicholls made a good start 

Poole fans except the odd one or two are so pathetically blinkered it’s embarrassing 

Shovlar is a troll and like a child and nobody takes him seriously 

Then you get a few other morons trying to defend Foord lol

Foreverblue I’m not including you 

• Sad 1

Just now, Pinny said:

Nice to see a Poole fan saying it how it is.

Also worth saying Poole were the best side all season and deserved the title without doubt. always build a good team and it's always good to see table toppers win the play offs.