British Speedway Forum

Oxford v Poole v Oxford; Weds 25th and Fri 27th Sept

8 hours ago, foreverblue said:

If anyone said it is Oxfords to lose I would agree with them. 12 points is a lot. Masters and Nicholls are equally as good at Winborne Road as Sandy Lane and Killeen was fantastic last time as he was tonight.

As for tonight, great crowd, great atmosphere and people still wonder why we have the play offs! Normal meetings just don't generate the excitement of the play offs. There is no doubt both teams have issues with one or two riders although although I thought Gilkes was very good and I doubt Jenkins would have scored as many.

I don't wonder why we have play- offs, I know why we do, I just disagree with them & think top of the league should be Champions.

It's a shame if BSN / KOC meetings don't generate the same level of excitement as the play-offs.

If fans, riders & clubs were desperate to win all these events equally, then you should get massive crowds for them all, not just the play-offs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveLyric2 said:

So BSN's comms duo Brannen and Schlein reckon there were some of next season's Pirate riders around helping in the Poole pits tonite!!!

36 minutes ago, SteveLyric2 said:

Not all bad then!!🤣🤣 after the abuse some Cheetah 'fans' dished out!!😇

Were you there or not? You seem to know what was said on BSN and what the Cheetahs fans dished out on bends 3 and 4? Busted. 😃

Edited by BackInTheDHSS

1 minute ago, szkocjasid said:

I don't wonder why we have play- offs, I know why we do, I just disagree with them & think top of the league should be Champions.

It's a shame if BSN / KOC meetings don't generate the same level of excitement as the play-offs.

If fans, riders & clubs were desperate to win all these events equally, then you should get massive crowds for them all, not just the play-offs.

Also depends on the quality of the opposition, BSN was a damp squib because Scunthorpe were so poor. KOC will be good too because the teams are evenly matched and riding well, if you have one reserve riding well it makes such a difference.

2 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

True, but there are potentially better ways to go about it. Lots of kids watching at Oxford.

Then maybe Oxford fans should have thought better before winding riders up as they will always give a hand gesture. 

3 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

True, but there are potentially better ways to go about it. Lots of kids watching at Oxford.

Agree, punching the air in delight would be away to annoy the home fans & far more professional than a rude gesture to antagonise them.

Plus Thomsen should remember it's Speedway, he may get dropped by Poole & need a new club next year, would this put Oxford off using him?

30 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Agree, punching the air in delight would be away to annoy the home fans & far more professional than a rude gesture to antagonise them.

Plus Thomsen should remember it's Speedway, he may get dropped by Poole & need a new club next year, would this put Oxford off using him?

Exactly. Chris Harris was getting some stick from the Oxford fans last year, and he rode around with his hand cupped to his ear. Had the same impact without the need for lowering himself to the same level as those few fans. Now he's an Oxford rider! Guess that shows the different levels in professionalism. 

Edited by BackInTheDHSS
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Were you there or not? You seem to know what was said on BSN and what the Cheetahs fans dished out on bends 3 and 4? Busted. 😃

Of course he wasn't there  clive the Oracle thinks he knows everything. 

10 hours ago, Bojangles said:

Problem is, (most) Poole fans think they are going to win every meeting...and they do not like it when they don't.

At least they were quiet on here during the meeting... but here comes the tsunami 🌊

• Haha 1

Thought it was a decent meeting played out in front of a big crowd. Possibly the biggest ever Oxford crowd. Certainly larger than the pairs. 

As expected Oxford took advantage on their own circuit, with Masters never led in five rides and backed up by Nicholls who was almost untouchable after a first ride blip. Add in a gating Killeen and a decent performance from guest Gilkes, a couple of gates from Heeps and the damage was done. Pirates battled hard but couldn’t match the Oxford riders once they led down the back straight and that was game, set and match.

Special mention to Zach Cook who threw everything at it, and Vinnie Ford for impressing in his first two before taking a purler and withdrawing. Not sure he is OK for Wednesday.

12 point lead is probably enough for Oxford. Has to be 70/30% in their favour. Both Masters and Nicholls are excellent at Poole. Killeen scored paid 14 from 5 last time. Poole needed to keep in to 8 but didn’t have any riders to match Masters and Nicholls in 13 and 15 and so it was a from the tapes gift 8 points.

To be honest I thought this would happen before the meeting. Hagon, after a decent start to the season, has certainly not progressed and gone backwards. Tobias, who started well has faded as the season has gone on and Vinnie, while a battler, lacks experience. While we have a good top 4 to get us over the line, when one has a poor meeting we are left vulnerable. Brennans 4+1 killed us dead last night and was his worst score this season. Someone said he looked knackered in the pits before the meeting, having travelled back from Czech the night before, on top of a busy week in the U.K. Not the ideal prep for our most important meeting of the season. 

Well done to Oxford, who should have used Killeen in heat 12 for a bigger lead. What the hell was that about? Couldn’t believe he didn’t replace Boughen.

5 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Just watched it back, i think you need to check your glasses 

I would agree If anybody was to go it should have been Nichols,angle across from gate 4 and pinned Brennan’s throttle arm down causing him to lose it.Too many riders allowed to start angle in from outside gates in GB.Lot stricter in Poland and it gets results.

14 minutes ago, BackInTheDHSS said:

Exactly. Chris Harris was getting some stick from the Oxford fans last year, and he rode around with his hand cupped to his ear. Had the same impact without the need for lowering himself to the same level as those few fans. Now he's an Oxford rider! Guess that shows the different levels in professionalism. 

To be fair, Harris would never be one to jeopardise a future guesting opportunity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thought it was a decent meeting played out in front of a big crowd. Possibly the biggest ever Oxford crowd. Certainly larger than the pairs.

Biggest ever Oxford crowd? Crowds were literally three times the size of that in the Hans Nielsen days in the 80s. Not even close.

Edited by Bojangles
  • Like 1