British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Belle Vue.

Odds On

The air fence has narowed the track since the 60's and also now collects most of the dirt thrown up which used to end up on the greyhound track back then, leaving a "bit of a mess" a metre or so from the fence..

They just need to sort that issue and the track will be fine..

Four heats in and riders are just using a mid track line as the inside is so slick so quickly..

Making an already narrow track even narrower...

Which reduces again as the meeting progresses with the outside becoming the main line to follow..

Grading should move the dirt back to the kerb, not just to mid track like it does now..

34 minutes ago, Rob B said:

And various promotions done nothing with it, they obviously can’t do anything with the fence line due to greyhound track, but they can bring the inside line in slightly to make it wider.

They could still move the dirt away from the fence & back on to the track as that is an issue

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Gavan said:

No I think you lost it last night because the Holder brothers didn’t want to know and even more so after Cook crashed 

Jack Holder is world number 4 and currently 7th… for him to not win a race and simply follow his partner in all 4 races isn’t good enough… Chris also looked subdued 

And if there is no issue with the track why didn’t either brother try the dirt line it was like they were too scared to… watch Chris v Vuolas he never wanted to try the outside 

They scored 11 between them … Thry should possibly be getting that each … you can excuse a poor performance away but not at home 

And Sheffield fans who were quick to moan about Howarth and Harris have said nothing about the Holder brothers - bit of double standards 

Well I'm saying it! Both Holder brothers scored their lowest home points total of the season. Was this coincidence or was it contrived? For one of them to be a bit off-colour would be understandable (if a bit unusual). But both? I smell a rat.

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Great to see Ben with no bones broken and no dislocations.  Scans also clear so 9 day concussion protocol kicks in from today.

So, if he were fit, he could ride a week on Monday if the first leg is rained off?

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Great to see Ben with no bones broken and no dislocations.  Scans also clear so 9 day concussion protocol kicks in from today.

I really don’t think he will be back in 9 days, scans are clear which are great but it was significant head injury, I wouldn’t think he would ride this season again.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

They could still move the dirt away from the fence & back on to the track as that is an issue

The advent of air fences causes dirt to pile up around the foot of the air fence. Track staff do their best to shovel it back between races, but Sheffield is a huge 400-yard track and referees are under pressure to keep the meeting moving on at pace. What can be achieved between races is therefore limited. However, no-one wants to see riders injured (and we're all delighted that Ben is none the worse for his incident) but perhaps the speedway authorities might look at technical options for re-distributing the gathered dirt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I really don’t think he will be back in 9 days, scans are clear which are great but it was significant head injury, I wouldn’t think he would ride this season again.

Me either. Didn't Tate have to sit out for 3-6 months when he had a bad head injury the other season. 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rob B said:

100% this!

He's a rider with a high ceiling and he could end up in GP Series.

Concussion, especially deep concussion is a potentially silent killer. IF he has had some sort of initial seizure he will need some constant monitoring for a period of months and plenty of rest and relaxation. Even if he hasn't had a seizure, the nature of the crash (as descibed) suggests he'd be VERY wise to sit out the remainder of the season.

He may be restricted initially in terms of long distance Air travel but ideally he can get home, get some sun on his back and come back fit and fresh next season. 

You simply cannot take risks with head injuries and concussion, fractures / muscle injuries you may be able to "patch up" - the brain you most definitely cannot!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

The Sheffield track has remained the same since 1929. Unfortunately we haven't had the same benefit as the BV fans of having a brand new stadium paid for with taxpayers money. Those on here who lionise the wonderful NSS and criticise the "lesser" stadia like Sheffield should remember that.

Phil Morris really needs to sort this out.

It can't be that hard to find another 7 or 8 councils prepared to throw £10m or £15m down the drain can it?

4 minutes ago, RBThirdbend said:

It can't be that hard to find another 7 or 8 councils prepared to throw £10m or £15m down the drain can it?

Sheffield Council overspent by £15.6 million in 2023/4!

Just now, 4thbender said:

Sheffield Council overspent by £15.6 million in 2023/4!

Exactly!

You don't have to look far on the internet to find questions being asked of Manchester City Council's funding decision.

Mark Lemon hinted on the British Speedway Podcast that they might not be able to stay there if they can't bring in international events. I'd be interested to know the financials of the SoN.

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

The Sheffield track has remained the same since 1929. Unfortunately we haven't had the same benefit as the BV fans of having a brand new stadium paid for with taxpayers money. Those on here who lionise the wonderful NSS and criticise the "lesser" stadia like Sheffield should remember that.

I thought the track was financed through prudential borrowing, paid out of rental income charged to the Speedway promotion. That's why a seat near the starting gate costs £29 at the NSS versus £22 and most tracks. That extra £7 is going towards paying for the stadium.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RBThirdbend said:

Or a 100 quid on twenty shovels to move all the dirt back to the kerb every fourth race? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RBThirdbend said:

Exactly!

You don't have to look far on the internet to find questions being asked of Manchester City Council's funding decision.

Mark Lemon hinted on the British Speedway Podcast that they might not be able to stay there if they can't bring in international events. I'd be interested to know the financials of the SoN.

This was funded as part of the Eastland project and funds from Man city owners ties to the City.  It was always to drive sporting investment as well as low cost housing.   The stadium was designed and is used as a multi use site, and MC Council want big international events in the city, but it is not tied to the Aces staying there.  

13 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

This was funded as part of the Eastland project and funds from Man city owners ties to the City.  It was always to drive sporting investment as well as low cost housing.   The stadium was designed and is used as a multi use site, and MC Council want big international events in the city, but it is not tied to the Aces staying there.  

That's good news. I couldn't decide whether Lemon was just trying to justify the prices and get people through the gate or if he was serious.

I know that area has had massive regeneration and think it's a great facility. The point is that there's not many opportunities for this to be replicated.

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Or a 100 quid on twenty shovels to move all the dirt back to the kerb every fourth race? :D

I decided a while ago that the track staff at Sheffield are the speedway equivalent of Schrödinger's cat.

If I go to Owlerton every meeting and see people dragging the dirt back after every heat but the British Speedway Forum says they don't exist, are they really there, or are they both there, and not there simultaneously?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RBThirdbend said:

Exactly!

I would assume SoN didn’t go well, they were spending a lot (hundreds of thousands) on the temp stand which when I attended in the final was about 30% full. It was a showcase to see the crowd levels and how well the track goes for future potential GPs. I think it will be staying at Cardiff for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RBThirdbend said:

Exactly!

The financials of the SoN certainly would make interesting reading.We all know the Temp Stand was a financial disaster if the figure for erecting it are to be believe and who paid for it.

• Like 1