British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Belle Vue.

Odds On

5 minutes ago, ShanoXtra said:

I would assume SoN didn’t go well, they were spending a lot (hundreds of thousands) on the temp stand which when I attended in the final was about 30% full. It was a showcase to see the crowd levels and how well the track goes for future potential GPs. I think it will be staying at Cardiff for the foreseeable future.

With extra stands the NSS could easily do a 6000 crowd for a GP at £50 average per person..

The issue with the SoN was shelling out for so many meetings that didn't have enough interest for "the locals", as expecting someone to travel and spend a week in a hotel, plus admission fees, was never a goer as a plan..

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

With extra stands the NSS could easily do a 6000 crowd for a GP at £50 average per person..

The issue with the SoN was shelling out for so many meetings that didn't have enough interest for "the locals", as expecting someone to travel and spend a week in a hotel, plus admission fees, was never a goer as a plan..

The cost for the SoN was around £400k wasn't it?

If that's right 6000 at £50 a head doesn't break even. You'd need to sell some stack of pies and pints to fill in that shortfall.

I paid £190 for me and my teenage daughter to go to the SoN. 3 of us went to Cardiff for about £60.

6000 is also only 25% of the supposedly terrible crowd at Cardiff.

I think a GP at the NSS would be great but I can't see how it flies without tickets well over £75 each and a guaranteed sell out. I'd be thinking twice about putting my money in based on the SoN experience.

22 minutes ago, ShanoXtra said:

I would assume SoN didn’t go well, they were spending a lot (hundreds of thousands) on the temp stand which when I attended in the final was about 30% full. It was a showcase to see the crowd levels and how well the track goes for future potential GPs. I think it will be staying at Cardiff for the foreseeable future.

I think 30% is generous from where we were sat.

They would have all been under cover if someone had taken a fishing umbrella!

32 minutes ago, ShanoXtra said:

I think there will be another GP at Cardiff as well. 

21 minutes ago, RBThirdbend said:

The cost for the SoN was around £400k wasn't it?

If that's right 6000 at £50 a head doesn't break even. You'd need to sell some stack of pies and pints to fill in that shortfall.

I paid £190 for me and my teenage daughter to go to the SoN. 3 of us went to Cardiff for about £60.

6000 is also only 25% of the supposedly terrible crowd at Cardiff.

I think a GP at the NSS would be great but I can't see how it flies without tickets well over £75 each and a guaranteed sell out. I'd be thinking twice about putting my money in based on the SoN experience.

They could do (easily), £300k for a one off event.

The  SON final proved that at around £80 average a ticket..

The Marketa (and maybe those in Demmark and Sweden, won't take £300k I would think..

A one night GP at the NSS would deliver (even now with the current infrastructure), 5000 fans..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Congratulations to Belle Vue on making the final the best team won overall. 

Sheffield have had a good season making the semi finals & winning the cup against an injury ravaged Ipswich side. 

After all the crap that they have thrown around about the state of the Foxhall track it was great to see passing galore last night & not bore fest gate & go racing! Also the second horrific accident in 5 meetings on one of the best race tracks in the country.

Any how congratulations on a super season & hopefully we’ll have some more rivalry in 2025 winter well!!

2 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Sheffield have had a good season making the semi finals & winning the cup against an injury ravaged Ipswich side. 

After all the crap that they have thrown around about the state of the Foxhall track it was great to see passing galore last night & not bore fest gate & go racing! Also the second horrific accident in 5 meetings on one of the best race tracks in the country.

Any how congratulations on a super season & hopefully we’ll have some more rivalry in 2025 winter well!!

Naughty... :D

Edited by mikebv

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Great to see Ben with no bones broken and no dislocations.  Scans also clear so 9 day concussion protocol kicks in from today.

Don't take concussions lightly. Their effects can last for a lifetime. This 9- day business gives the impression that afterwards everything's back to normal, but not so

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4thbender said:

The advent of air fences causes dirt to pile up around the foot of the air fence. Track staff do their best to shovel it back between races, but Sheffield is a huge 400-yard track and referees are under pressure to keep the meeting moving on at pace. What can be achieved between races is therefore limited. However, no-one wants to see riders injured (and we're all delighted that Ben is none the worse for his incident) but perhaps the speedway authorities might look at technical options for re-distributing the gathered dirt.

What it needs is a very large wide vacuum cleaner built into a 4-wheeled vehicle that sucks up the dirt out by the fence around two bends then deposits it on the inside of the next two.

As Scotty demonstrated last night on TV not only do you have the dangerous build up of dirt on the outside, the middle was very slick and any rider going from the Deep dirt to the slick is likely to get in trouble - again dangerous.

Potentially that is what happened to Ben.  Very pleased he is not as bad as feared.

51 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

NSS are not competing with Cardiff for crowd Size ? if you look at various GP'S some crowds are around 4/5 thousand that's  what NSS would fill easily and better racing for sure :t:

But surely if you are picking a venue for the one British Grand Prix it's a consideration?

Effectively shutting out 20k people who want to go?

I’m still struggling with the whole concept that Sheffield is inherently dangerous as keeps getting repeatedly said. There have been a small handful of crashes (probably better described as falls than crashes) all season and Cook was the first one I have seen for a long time leave the track in an ambulance. Yes Emil got injured, but it’s a high speed motorsport and accidents happen.

Just seem to be a small number of people on here that have heard about (probably not even seen) one crash and have become fixated with it! Along with banging on about needing track staff to move dirt from the fence as if they don’t and haven’t always existed. Just getting a bit boring now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

The original plans was for a capacity of 6000. However the original plan for the South stand was complelety concreted terracing never happened and the capacity was greatly reduced because the south stand had temporary stands instead. 

2 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

I take that is a pop at me.

I am 60 year old Grandad and have followed my team for over 50 years.

In that time in the top league we have had little success until recent seasons, apart from a KO Cup in 74 when we beat a very good Ipswich team.

Fair enough we did beat an injury  ravaged team, but you can only beat what is in front of you and over the two legs that is what we did, and I make no excuses for celebrating that success its been a long time coming for me as a Sheffield fan who can remember long years ago when we were in the top league and winning nothing.

Sometimes you just have to accept that its not just your year or season and move on and stop playing the victim.

Ipswich have a good promotion and a backbone of a decent side and I am sure that they will be up there challenging for honours.

I wish Ipswich fans all the best for next season and look forward to our meeting next season.

And to all of the Belle Vue and Leicester fans all the best for the Final, there are both there on merit after the Semi Final places and may the best team win.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

Nobody watching on TV can blame the track because the incident was out of camera. The Sayfutdinov crash a few weeks ago was a different matter, that was caused by the need to ride very wide to use the dirt at the fence, with both Emil and Jack Holder going for it.

"High risk but high reward" is exactly the right description. I think Sheffield are using it to intimidate the opposition and it should be discouraged as strongly as possible. It's not the kind of speedway I want to watch.

There's plenty more ways to pass than bombing round the outside.....