British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Belle Vue.

Odds On

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So what actually happened? Did he clip the rider in front? clip fence? High sided?

From where we were stood on the home straight it looked like he was closing quickly on Howarth and then lost control possibly slowing to avoid hitting him.

Looked like the back wheel came around and then the bike lifted and flipped/high sided.

Can't be certain but I'm sure it looked awful!

Jack Holder looked to be in bits walking back across the centre green as he was the first rider to him.

Hope the news from Middlo is right 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Sounds like he has been very lucky. If he had a seizure they would keep him in longer? 

if ben was cocussed he will be out of action for the final but thank the lord he sounds ok best wishes to him 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Odds On said:

Regarding the track....interesting that Jack Holder didn't go looking for the "fence line" , where previously he had excelled from it.

Decent meeting purely on the aggregate score and what was at stake, in terms of actual racing/passing it was pretty lack lustre.

And noticeably Chris stayed well away when he chased Voulas..

3 minutes ago, AceBelle said:

if ben was cocussed he will be out of action for the final but thank the lord he sounds ok best wishes to him 

Yes, thank goodness, everyone who had any interest in the meeting has been waiting for news .....

47 minutes ago, Odds On said:

Regarding the track....interesting that Jack Holder didn't go looking for the "fence line" , where previously he had excelled from it.

Decent meeting purely on the aggregate score and what was at stake, in terms of actual racing/passing it was pretty lack lustre.

Looked like there were some serious conversations between J.Holder and Stead, which contributed to JH declining or not available to be interviewed. Maybe the Holders thought they'd done their bit at Belle Vue whilst others hadn't, and were doing a "work to rule" last night?

51 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So what actually happened? Did he clip the rider in front? clip fence? High sided?

High Sided, was mid track, no other rider involved, simply overtrying for me. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

Wasn't the track, just unfortunate error form Ben, he was trying everything to pass. 

Really good news that Ben is not too badly hurt.

I have quoted your post as I wanted to thank you for the honesty. So many people on this thread jumping on the 'dangerous track' bandwagon last night, but as the majority were watching on TV they hadn't even seen the crash. From where I was standing near the bar on turn 3, so with a good view down the back straight into turn 2, it looked like a rider pushing the limits and making an error. Nothing sinister about it and he looked pretty much mid-track to me, nowhere near the infamous outside line. The bike high sided and he came down heavily on his upper body. My initial thought was collar bone or shoulder.

Belle Vue were the better team over the 2 legs and deserved the win. We didn't lose the match last night, we lost it on Monday. Picko having 2 bike failures put us on the back foot, and the 5-1 in heat 15 gave us a mountain to climb. Sadly, when we needed them most, our top 2 riders were both way off their regular home form last night.

• Like 3

Slightly off topic...back in the 60's speedway star had a monthly sister magazine called speedway post.

Every month there was a riders profile and when it came to the riders favourite track, it was nearly always Sheffield, no matter who the rider rode for. I have a very clear memory of this as it became quite predictable every month and also slightly puzzling when the likes of Hyde road was around.

Does anyone know if the Sheffield track is the same track it was in the 60's in terms of length, width etc? Currently it looks insanely narrow to me.

44 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

I have quoted your post as I wanted to thank you for the honesty. So many people on this thread jumping on the 'dangerous track' bandwagon last night, but as the majority were watching on TV they hadn't even seen the crash. From where I was standing near the bar on turn 3, so with a good view down the back straight into turn 2, it looked like a rider pushing the limits and making an error. Nothing sinister about it and he looked pretty much mid-track to me, nowhere near the infamous outside line. The bike high sided and he came down heavily on his upper body. My initial thought was collar bone or shoulder.

Belle Vue were the better team over the 2 legs and deserved the win. We didn't lose the match last night, we lost it on Monday. Picko having 2 bike failures put us on the back foot, and the 5-1 in heat 15 gave us a mountain to climb. Sadly, when we needed them most, our top 2 riders were both way off their regular home form last night.

I thought the track was the best its been for a while last night actually.

Really good news re Ben too! and yes i considered it rider error

40 minutes ago, DaveWayne said:

No I think you lost it last night because the Holder brothers didn’t want to know and even more so after Cook crashed 

Jack Holder is world number 4 and currently 7th… for him to not win a race and simply follow his partner in all 4 races isn’t good enough… Chris also looked subdued 

And if there is no issue with the track why didn’t either brother try the dirt line it was like they were too scared to… watch Chris v Vuolas he never wanted to try the outside 

They scored 11 between them … Thry should possibly be getting that each … you can excuse a poor performance away but not at home 

And Sheffield fans who were quick to moan about Howarth and Harris have said nothing about the Holder brothers - bit of double standards 

14 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

Slightly off topic...back in the 60's speedway star had a monthly sister magazine called speedway post.

Every month there was a riders profile and when it came to the riders favourite track, it was nearly always Sheffield, no matter who the rider rode for. I have a very clear memory of this as it became quite predictable every month and also slightly puzzling when the likes of Hyde road was around.

Does anyone know if the Sheffield track is the same track it was in the 60's in terms of length, width etc? Currently it looks insanely narrow to me.

No air fence in the 60s,so track would have been wider.Also,Frank Varey knew how to prepare a track,and there were also rakers dragging the dirt back.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

The Sheffield track has remained the same since 1929. Unfortunately we haven't had the same benefit as the BV fans of having a brand new stadium paid for with taxpayers money. Those on here who lionise the wonderful NSS and criticise the "lesser" stadia like Sheffield should remember that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4thbender said:

The Sheffield track has remained the same since 1929. Unfortunately we haven't had the same benefit as the BV fans of having a brand new stadium paid for with taxpayers money. Those on here who lionise the wonderful NSS and criticise the "lesser" stadia like Sheffield should remember that.

And various promotions done nothing with it, they obviously can’t do anything with the fence line due to greyhound track, but they can bring the inside line in slightly to make it wider.

1 minute ago, Rob B said:

And various promotions done nothing with it, they obviously can’t do anything with the fence line due to greyhound track, but they can bring the inside line in slightly to make it wider.

Yes, I believe a proposal was put forward a few years ago to take a few feet off the inside verge but the proposal was turned down by the stadium's owners.

20 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Greyhound owners won’t let them move the kerb in, they have asked on numerous occasions,  I idea they won’t as the centre green was last used in 80’s when either rugby league or American football used it, but it’s just for the greyhounds to have a dump on