British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Belle Vue.

Odds On

23 minutes ago, Col said:

Think Aces visits to Beaumont Park have been fairly abject this year.  Blodorn likes the place but even at the pairs event Belle Vue won last season Bewley & Kurtz couldn't get near Fricke.

So... as I watched tonights action on EuroSport what happened to Cook? No chance he'll ride in the final?

Well done Aces - Bewley was outstanding until he didn't need to be, but Kurtz set the tone with his heat 1 win.

Hard on Tigers. Who knows what would have occurred if the playoffs involved Woffinden, Doyle & Sayfutdinov.

Howarrth's move on Blodorn was unsavoury.

And Pickering's issue with the TV presenter was?

Previous visits to Leicester mean nothing, as we showed tonight. 

Cook definitely won’t be riding, serious crash as you can tell as they showed no replays. 

First of all. My prayers are with cook. That was an horrific crash and word from the track is that it’s not good. So best wishes to Ben. 

great 2 legs and I wouldn’t want to do it against anyone else. Any belle Vue Sheffield matches are great for fans in attendance and long may it continue. We will battle with you boys again next season and I can’t wait. 

it’s play off time your need your big hitters to show up and they did that for us, and vuolas been a terrific signing for us. 

Onto Leicester we go where I have us as slight favourites but this is play offs. Anything can happen. 

• Like 3

great atmosphere on bend 3/4 nail biting right up t o ht 15, i think all the riders put as much effort as they could. i do hope ben is ok , he has done well for us this year, just shows what these lads will do to score a point . Leicester will be another close home and away meeting, for my sins i have even talked a customer of mine with his kids to come to belle vue Monday night and i will try and explain what's going on wish me 🤪 luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

The majority of the Aussies are aren't they?

Batchelor & Chris Holder never seemed keen on each other.

On second viewing didn't think the Howarth/Blodorn incident was quite as brutal as first viewing.

12 minutes ago, Col said:

Batchelor & Chris Holder never seemed keen on each other.

On second viewing didn't think the Howarth/Blodorn incident was quite as brutal as first viewing.

Not all of them of course! Have read this morning that Pickering has known Ben Cook since he was 7 so obviously he was upset by the crash ....

Well that was nice. Not sure what pleases me the most, the fact we’re in the final or that we scuppered Bates’ rigged plan for two healthy paydays. 

Given the ultimate importance of winning this tin pot, I’d have to say I’d rather have a fit & well Ben than qualify. The horror track predictably strikes again.

I really thought our play off injury hoodoo was giving us a rest this year but it wasn’t to be. Once again it makes things more difficult to succeed. Ben’s paid 11 with a fine win in heat 13 last time we visited Leicester cannot be replicated but I hope the rest of the lads can up their game and limit the damage whilst covering for him. 

Do it for Ben lads, the nation is behind you. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ouch said:

Well that was nice. Not sure what pleases me the most, the fact we’re in the final or that we scuppered Bates’ rigged plan for two healthy paydays. 

Given the ultimate importance of winning this tin pot, I’d have to say I’d rather have a fit & well Ben than qualify. The horror track predictably strikes again.

I really thought our play off injury hoodoo was giving us a rest this year but it wasn’t to be. Once again it makes things more difficult to succeed. Ben’s paid 11 with a fine win in heat 13 last time we visited Leicester cannot be replicated but I hope the rest of the lads can up their game and limit the damage whilst covering for him. 

Do it for Ben lads, the nation is behind you. 

Fully agree on Ben, really hope its nothing serious and he's back fit and flying for March at least. 

Missing Ben in the final is a blow but hopefully we can get a good guest.  His paid 11 was from 6 rides due to Dan crashing out after 1 heat, he got 6 from his programmed rides. 

Anyway Fingers crossed for some good news on Ben in the next few days, as long as his long term health is OK I will be happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great as it was to see an exciting clash with two top teams (and the Aces winning!), for me it's totally overshadowed by the injury to Ben Cook. The fact that it wasn't shown on TV isn't a good sign and I can only hope that initial rumours are unfounded.

Insensitive of Eurosport to try to do interviews with riders when he was stricken on the track.

Edited by Garry1603

Hope Cook is ok.

Not watched it back on tv yet, but why was the track to blame for the crash? No other incidents all night, track looked smooth and fast to me. Looked like an unfortunate racing incident that happen from time to time at any track.

1 hour ago, JoeW436 said:

Any news on Ben Cook this morning?

11 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Great as it was to see an exciting clash with two top teams (and the Aces winning!), for me it's totally overshadowed by the injury to Ben Cook. The fact that it wasn't shown on TV isn't a good sign and I can only hope that initial rumours are unfounded.

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Middlo has posted on Facebook. Ben has been kept in hospital overnight. Nothing broken. Zach stayed with him. Hopefully released today. 

Sounds like he has been very lucky. If he had a seizure they would keep him in longer? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cue Ball said:

Hope Cook is ok.

Not watched it back on tv yet, but why was the track to blame for the crash? No other incidents all night, track looked smooth and fast to me. Looked like an unfortunate racing incident that happen from time to time at any track.

I agree. Think it was pilot error myself rather than the track 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cue Ball said:

Hope Cook is ok.

Some definitely looked far more comfortable on that outside line than others, it seems to very high risk but high reward when it does go well. People are probably just blaming the track since it has historic form for being questionable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeW436 said:

Some definitely looked far more comfortable on that outside line than others, it seems to very high risk but high reward when it does go well. People are probably just blaming the track since it has historic form for being questionable. 

Nobody watching on TV can blame the track because the incident was out of camera. The Sayfutdinov crash a few weeks ago was a different matter, that was caused by the need to ride very wide to use the dirt at the fence, with both Emil and Jack Holder going for it.

"High risk but high reward" is exactly the right description. I think Sheffield are using it to intimidate the opposition and it should be discouraged as strongly as possible. It's not the kind of speedway I want to watch.

• Like 1

Regarding the track....interesting that Jack Holder didn't go looking for the "fence line" , where previously he had excelled from it.

Decent meeting purely on the aggregate score and what was at stake, in terms of actual racing/passing it was pretty lack lustre.

26 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Sounds like he has been very lucky. If he had a seizure they would keep him in longer? 

This is brilliant news. 

31 minutes ago, Cue Ball said:

Hope Cook is ok.

Wasn't the track, just unfortunate error form Ben, he was trying everything to pass. 

We were on 4th bend so opposite end to where incident happened on 2nd bend. 
not sure if issue with track or not, he seemed to riding normally then bike came round on him and threw him off high side very high into the air, he landed  on upper half of body.

I initially thought that will be a collar bone injury but seems to have landed heavily on his head. 

The seizure is more than likely the body responding from being knocked out. Brain and body not as one. I passed out 20 years ago from a knock and my wife said she was very worried as my body was jerking about all over the place. Once I had come around I was fine and had no idea what had happened. Looks scary to witnesses.

Found the rolling pin in the drawer with blood on it the next day.

• Haha 4