British Speedway Forum

Sheffield v Belle Vue.

10 hours ago, mikebv said:

Blimey....

Never go to Poland then...

The whole purpose of team sports is to have that tribal element...

Without it, there is no point in running it using a team concept...

I bet the Sheffield promoters will have no apprehension tomorrow given they will get a fair few extra grand.,

The most all season from any team visiting...

Nothing wrong with being tribal in the support of your team, but when it becomes intimidating and threatening then it has gone too far.

We all complain about the falling number of fans attending meetings, but if the women and children are uncomfortable being there, then where is the next generation of fans coming from ?

I'm glad a lot will be coming tonight and I hope you have a miserable evening. 😉

9 hours ago, DaveWayne said:

I think you misunderstood my post maybe ? Our issue was with the Belle Vue fans, not the Sheffield barmy army. It was the first time I have experienced anything like that at a speedway meeting and it made me wonder if 'segregation' needed to be looked at for speedway, particularly at bigger meetings. Sheffield fans were having to move away from them as the intimidation intensified as the result got closer. It wasn't what could be classed as banter, the comments were delivered in a threatening manner and some home fans felt very uncomfortable. The friendly family atmosphere normally experienced at speedway was noticeably absent.

I'm sorry to read this! In my experience there's nothing like being in a big group of away fans especially if your team are winning!  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gjcone44 said:

more proof of the snow flake society we live in, ill be there tonight 3/4 bend not sure   we can pull it off. lets make some noise.... shoooosh. 🤣i missed the time for that race.

not sure its snowflakism if women and children feel threatened and unsafe, bit silly to label it as such

as with anything there is a balance to be struck, a raucous atmosphere can only be a good thing as long as people arent going too far

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Zagarmeister said:

Playing devil's advocate I feel that ideally the atmosphere at speedway meetings should be more football like in general.

I would never condone foul language in front of children or physical violence.

But I never understood the King's Lynn mantra of 'I don't care if we lose as long as I see decent racing'.

I fully agree with this.  UK Speedway needs a more football style atmosphere, if you take someone to Speedway for the first time and the atmosphere is amazing, the buzz of that has a very good chance of bringing them back.  What we don't want is for it to cross the line into abuse.  The 2022 final at Sheffield was the best atmosphere I've been in during my 40 odd years watching the Aces, it was absolutely mental when we won, and that's because (as Mike BV says) it meant something to the fans and it meant something to our riders (as you saw with Zagar Jumping into the crowd).  The flares added to the whole event, although i do understand some don't like them.  If speedway is to survive and certainly if its going to grow, we need to move away from the current clap and move on brigade, harsh but true. 

• Like 3

There’s 6-8 supposed Aces fans that come out of the woodwork come play off time - they’re blonkers. They are mostly kept in check by true Aces fans or just ejected by security at NSS. 

Aces fans can react strongly to insulting/unjust comments about the team or cheering when one of us falls. Aside from that we’re just out for a laugh and to enjoy the racing. 

Hoping for this later…..

Jack 12+1 

Kyle 5+1 

Chris 12 

Josh 8+3 

Harris 5 

Jason 4 

Dan 4+1 

Brady 9

Norick 4

Jaimon 7

Ben 5

Dan 11

Anitti 4

Jake 0

48 minutes ago, ouch said:

There’s 6-8 supposed Aces fans that come out of the woodwork come play off time - they’re blonkers. They are mostly kept in check by true Aces fans or just ejected by security at NSS. 

Aces fans can react strongly to insulting/unjust comments about the team or cheering when one of us falls. Aside from that we’re just out for a laugh and to enjoy the racing. 

Hoping for this later…..

Jack 12+1 

Kyle 5+1 

Chris 12 

Josh 8+3 

Harris 5 

Jason 4 

Dan 4+1 

Brady 9

Norick 4

Jaimon 7

Ben 5

Dan 11

Anitti 4

Jake 0

I think them scores won’t be too far off it. Harris rides Owlerton as well as the Holders if the track is grippy expect more than 5, but think the reserves will get less than 8 between them.

Prediction 52-38 Holders to grab a 4-2 in 15 to bring the house down 

• Like 1

I Think tonight either the Aces nick it or Sheffield win at a canter.  I think if we are riding well enough to keep it close then we will get over the line. 

I think BV will sneak it. As already mentioned, Lidsey needs to carry on with the same form he showed on Monday and Cook needs to get going as well. Bewley and Kurtz need to get stuck in which I'm sure they will. As ever, a lot will depend on how the reserves do. Voulas has been riding well alately and Gilkes rode well at Oxford last night. Looking forward to it!

Sheff.  49    BV   41

On 9/18/2024 at 6:04 AM, FishersGate said:

I personally want Belle Vue though to the final. Not because I think we can beat them it's more of that bend 2 army wanna be hooligans do everyone's nut in at Leicester. The rest of the Sheffield supporters I've spoke to and normal supporters and are super friendly. But that bunch have the same songs on repeat, sometimes do chants that make you cringe and they just look terrible in general. Especially that James fella, seems a right wind up merchant. Why can't they just be normal and stop antagonising everyone ? It's like Sheffield are the only club that exist to them. Either way whoever we get it's going to be a super close and tense final. Sheffield or Belle Vue, not fussed. Just don't want any annoying fans lol.

#bend2barmyarmy 'wannabe hooligans' ?  Not in my experience.  They sing their songs and support their team. I've seen nothing to suggest they are hooligans.

They 'look terrible in general'. What does that mean? 

'Especially that James fella.Seems a right wind up merchant'. Have you spoken to him? In my experience he's a polite bloke who talks to anyone and supports his team. 

Your experience is different to mine. British speedway desperately needs more animated fans creating atmosphere.  Obviously I want that to be good natured ( as it always has been in British Speedway) so there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. 

• Like 4

s = 51
Tough meeting to call tonight. 

For the Tigers. The Holder brothers should be scoring pretty much the same as Mon night. Harris rides Owlerton well especially if a little grippy and expect him to score more than 5. Pickering without the mechanical woes should score more than 4. Howarth should double his score at home. Edwards and Gilkes tough to call but should out score the Aces reserve pairing. 

As for the Aces Lidsey, Blodorn and Cook not scored heavily at Owlerton. So the Aces will need Bewley + Kurtz to score heavily and hope either Blodorn, Lidsey or Cook can have a decent meeting. Can see this being close with the reserve heats and Howarth Pickering vs Blodorn Cook battle being a major factor in determining who comes out of the meeting victorious - unless Turnbull has been brought in as Referee to throw all logic out of the window. 

Hopefully some decent racing and no race line 1ft wide from the fence. 

23 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

#bend2barmyarmy 'wannabe hooligans' ?  Not in my experience.  They sing their songs and support their team. I've seen nothing to suggest they are hooligans.

They 'look terrible in general'. What does that mean? 

'Especially that James fella.Seems a right wind up merchant'. Have you spoken to him? In my experience he's a polite bloke who talks to anyone and supports his team. 

Your experience is different to mine. British speedway desperately needs more animated fans creating atmosphere.  Obviously I want that to be good natured ( as it always has been in British Speedway) so there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. 

It's a matter of opinions and I can only go on my personal experience with them. They do look terrible in terms of there body language towards other supporters. Again I stress that this is what I have experienced. I've spoken to many people who said they've been rude to other supporters as well. James is wind up merchant. Commenting on social media stating how bad belle Vue fans were with the attendance and saying they acted like they won the league on Monday? Hes said made other comments as well that provoke a reaction. It's winding people up for sure. I do agree with need more songs noise created. But I'm my opinion there just bad at it. 

46 minutes ago, Hackett said:

s = 51

For the Tigers. The Holder brothers should be scoring pretty much the same as Mon night. Harris rides Owlerton well especially if a little grippy and expect him to score more than 5. Pickering without the mechanical woes should score more than 4. Howarth should double his score at home. Edwards and Gilkes tough to call but should out score the Aces reserve pairing. 

As for the Aces Lidsey, Blodorn and Cook not scored heavily at Owlerton. So the Aces will need Bewley + Kurtz to score heavily and hope either Blodorn, Lidsey or Cook can have a decent meeting. Can see this being close with the reserve heats and Howarth Pickering vs Blodorn Cook battle being a major factor in determining who comes out of the meeting victorious - unless Turnbull has been brought in as Referee to throw all logic out of the window. 

46 minutes ago, Hackett said:

s = 51

Hopefully the potato pickers have been in and made it a bit safer to ride out wide.

13 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

Personally I would've put Holder at 5, think heats 13 & 15 will be important. Maybe Harris will prove me wrong,but it's a tough heat for him, when I'd be expecting a 5-1 from the Holders

Same here, guess the thinking is that the other main body partnerships are well established and Bomber is more likely to look out for the youngsters than Holder.

Result all depends on which Howarth and Lidsey turn up.

Edited by DJC