British Speedway Forum

Riders Cheating

There was a time when riders would adapt their machines to suit track condition by changing a few little things. Todays riders want to be able to turn up & demand the track suits the set up they use on the track each time. You can see some riders each week on a track that fits them score the big points but the week the track is different for whatever reason they have no interest & return much less than their normal. The track is the same for all the riders on the night all it needs is for small changes to be made to the bike & maybe the riders attitude 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, longmeadow said:

Maybe Egon Muller for riding a oversized engine to win a world title. He was a great long track rider but world speedway champion?. The second worse winner in history

It wasn’t oversized, it was the first GM engine which was far superior to the weslake/godden or Jawa that was used at the time and it was pretty much the end for those 3 manufacturers, the mk1 GM was a very quick engine but was very unreliable with rocker arms and conrods breaking frequently  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Odds On said:

riders cheating isn't anything new, its not so long ago about the smell of certain fuels in the pits and it burning your eyes!

I am amazed that some think it doesn't actually go on!

I’m under no illusion it goes on but the higher up the sport you go the harder it is to get away with it because of the checks that go on but it’s very rare for it to be the actual engine these days 

3 hours ago, Odds On said:

riders cheating isn't anything new, its not so long ago about the smell of certain fuels in the pits and it burning your eyes!

Bit like those who never thought/believed that points were bought and favours handed out and were shocked by the Sunday People "revelations"...been going on for years since the birth of the sport judging by accounts down the years.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2024 at 6:13 AM, steve roberts said:

Personally I find the modern style of riding unattractive and they all look the same...very little individualism. 

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

• Like 3

On 9/30/2024 at 10:54 AM, The White Knight said:

I couldn't agree more with this statement.

You are so right. Old photos - particularly B&W - we can glance at and recognize them immediately...

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 9:39 AM, longmeadow said:

Maybe Egon Muller for riding a oversized engine to win a world title. He was a great long track rider but world speedway champion?. The second worse winner in history

Maybe it was because he was the only rider mounted on an early GM which also won the next 2 finals with Gundersen and took over world speedway.

On 9/28/2024 at 3:01 PM, Odds On said:

I remember being at Sheffield about 10 years ago for I think the PLRC. I was stood next to a certain Redcar riders bike next to the pits that had been extended and the fumes coming out of his bike being warmed up burnt my eyes and smelt like acetone. Sam Masters walked past said rider and gave him a look. 

8 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

Maybe it was because he was the only rider mounted on an early GM which also won the next 2 finals with Gundersen and took over world speedway.

I believe Les Collins finished 2nd on one in 1982, could be wrong, it was a long time ago

Edited by IainB

8 hours ago, IainB said:

I believe Les Collins finished 2nd on one in 1982, could be wrong, it was a long time ago

Les was riding a Jawa DT500 double overhead cam known as a double knocker, micheal Lee rode one when he won in 80, mauger and Olsen dabbled with them too, the introduction of the 34 mil carb literally killed off the DT500 overnight, it was a very thirsty engine that worked well 36 or 38 mm carbs,,ice racers used a 2 valve version, it was another couple of year before Jawa were back on the scene with the 897 single over head cam 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Egon Muller won the 1983 World Final in Norden, Germany riding an early GM that was originally loaned to Dave Jessup.  Doubt the engine was over-sized but Egon himself admitted he'd been given all the help he needed; unlimited practice on the then newly revamped tack, also 'road testing' of his bike on public roads (!) often chased by the cops.  He made everyone look silly that day winning with a full 15pts, only Hans Nielsen gated on him but Egon came through to win when Hans suffered an EF or maybe threw a chain.  Seen a video of Egon's arrival at the meeting, just him, son Dirk, the one bike & minimal of kit just kit bag & the one tool box.  Apparently he helpfully advised on the re-shaping "like a smaller longtrack", preparation before & during the meeting & there are certainly photos of him indulging 'serious gardening' literally crouched down examining the surface, trowel in hand.  These days by comparison, riders just get on with it.

Regarding cheating the only story I have personal experience of is a guy I bought some speedway merch from telling me he was working with a 'top division heat leader' [name obv redacted] on a traction control system built into the ignition & clutch.  It would produce a slight, undetecable misfiring so as to prevent tyre slip & the rider concerned would then go on to 'wipe the floor with everyone'  Don't think anything came of it as the rider concerned it still riding today but his form is pretty the same, much no better & no worse & he doesn't ride in the GPs.  Such a system would be illiegal & therefore cheating as, I forget the actual ording, but a speedway bike requires a manual clutch, with no automatic limited slip mechanism other than the rider 'feathering' or slipping the clutch by pulling in the lever slightly, which can only be fully disengaged by pulling in the lever on the handle bars....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

On 10/4/2024 at 9:21 AM, Bellers101 said:

I remember being at Sheffield about 10 years ago for I think the PLRC. I was stood next to a certain Redcar riders bike next to the pits that had been extended and the fumes coming out of his bike being warmed up burnt my eyes and smelt like acetone. Sam Masters walked past said rider and gave him a look. 

Was said Redcar rider an Aussie??