British Speedway Forum

Riders Cheating

Odds On

A slightly different topic I know but I think non-enforcement of the actual rules is a bigger problem these days, I by no means see all the speedway that goes on in the UK but from what I have seen, particularly this season, it is worse than ever before and I'm not talking about referee opinion, I mean clear black and white rules that just aren't enforced. 

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

There is also laying your bike down and making no attempt to take it off the track.

I'm always dubious about riders deliberately laying their bikes down, especially at league level, I mean who wants to deliberately have a motorcycle accident? I can understand them sometimes not being in a hurry to get up but this is normally for purely selfish reasons of maybe being in a rerun I would suspect. 

5 hours ago, Odds On said:

I meant in terms of over sized engines, model fuel, springs, carbs  etc etc

Over sized engines are rare these days, mainly because the tuners would literally lose their whole business by making an engine oversize for a rider and in the uk with the exception of belle vue you wouldn’t gain an advantage by having an oversized engine,if you went to a track like lakeside you might possibly run an undersized engine,carbs are easily checked and again not really in blixt interest to make oversize carbs although he does make a 38mm version for grasstrack but as I said easily checked, they did away with the silencer cheating by making a hole in the silencer which is what the cheats were doing, fuel is open to cheating but something like nitro makes they eyes run of anybody around the bike, there were some who dipped their filters in nitro but they started checking filters by swiping them, I think on the whole riders are just looking for an edge within the rules which to be honest are quite simple, I’m sure there will always be some but they usually raise suspicion and checks randomly begin, ignitions are varied and there was a bit of suspicion about the karger box but as I posted elsewhere zmarzlik doesn’t use them and he is the best in the world, speedway like most Motorsports is full of fads, someone tries something, wins a meeting and then the whole of the sport jumps on the bandwagon and then they find out it didn’t really work but psychologically it gave that rider the edge he needed, the jhr rear frames seem to be the latest fad, do they work ? Well zmarzlik brought 20 of them last month and he back on Jawa or Stuha,,lindgren uses them and he was poor at vojens so do they work ?

• Like 1

I've always thought that riders would find more speed by tidying up their riding style to be more smooth rather than cheating with parts/engines etc. 

Listening to what DJ Woffy was saying on the podcast about removing lacquer from knee braces etc. Seemed to be taking things to the extreme, you'd save a fraction of a nano second by doing that but pulling a locker or something and you'd easily lose a whole second from your lap time