British Speedway Forum

Scunthorpe v Oxford 1st leg semi final

Just now, szkocjasid said:

Think you're being harsh on Ablitt as he's just had his best season in the sport.

You wouldn't risk nearly 5 points on him if the limit is what it was this year or less though that's my point with Harrison having an average below him and likely the need of a 2/3pointer. You wouldn't have Ablitt in a top 5 spot otherwise you're going to end up with a shower of đź’© like Palm Toft at Number 1 again

I can understand the hurt but I think the Scunthorpe supporters are being unfair. Oxford started strong this year with two big heat leaders and have been strengthened by the improvers in Boughen and Killeen. Scunthorpe have history of being a solid team at home but often poor away and this year has been little different - unbeaten at home in the league but 6 out of 8 losses away. Compare that to the performances of the two teams above them and you’ll see what I mean. 
it’s fair to say that MPT was a disappointment last night, but that was almost guaranteed. He has a tendency to start strongly, pick up an injury and fade. But 2 more points from him last night would have turned defeat into victory. Of more concern has to be Howarth whose average has dropped in a weaker league. 
Scunthorpe have made the top three this year, higher than previous power house teams like Glasgow, Redcar and Edinburgh so enjoy that. 
As to the final, if it is Oxford vs Poole then both tracks will be packed and the racing should be hard. Both tracks are “tricky” in different ways which makes predicting the out-turn impossible. Should be fun. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Think you're being harsh on Ablitt as he's just had his best season in the sport.

2022 1.42

2023 3.29

2024 5.10

Doubt there are more than a couple of riders that have put that much on their average over two years, can you think of any?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Very poor performance from certain riders!  Can't believe being 10points up after 4 heats and Rob grades the track!  Should have left it alone like he nearly always does. After track grade, we went backwards. Yet again we do all the hard work on the bends for away riders to breeze past on the straights.  Lets pray for rain and a heavy track at Oxford next week for any chance of going through to the final.

I said that on updates about the track grading, have watched a lot of Scunthorpes home meetings (great racetrack) and there's very rarely a grade especially after 4 heats,I don't get why you'd do that when 10 in front.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

2022 1.42

2023 3.29

2024 5.10

Doubt there are more than a couple of riders that have put that much on their average over two years, can you think of any?

Big reduction in league strength between 2023 & 2024 though... so slightly inflated but an increase is an increase.

46 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

A very enjoyable meeting with lots of close racing - well worth the journey up through all the Friday afternoon traffic!

No doubt Oxford will be pleased with a lead to take to the second leg.

46 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

A very enjoyable meeting with lots of close racing - well worth the journey up through all the Friday afternoon traffic!

No doubt Oxford will be pleased with a lead to take to the second leg.

Worth the Admission not seen many meeting as good as that.Scunthorpe  Heat Leaders are too inconsistent.