British Speedway Forum

Workington v Poole 14/09/24 3pm semi final 2nd leg play offs.

16 minutes ago, Neila said:

Well fine to poole, they are a very good side, says it all when the comets score more at wimbored Road that at home. A good 1st year back for the Comets, hoping we come to the tapes in 2025, but was a shockingly low crowd for a play off semi ginal !!!

Just read the programme notes and it's sad reading regarding the crowds. Hope Comets are back in the Championship next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lbw said:

Just read the programme notes and it's sad reading regarding the crowds. Hope Comets are back in the Championship next season.

I think we will be. Considering Tate has already signed on the dotted line and been announced, somehow don’t think he’ll be in the NDL 

6 minutes ago, CTD26 said:

I think we will be. Considering Tate has already signed on the dotted line and been announced, somehow don’t think he’ll be in the NDL 

Comets had a full side signed for 2019, then look what happened !!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neila said:

Comets had a full side signed for 2019, then look what happened !!!

They won’t be dropping down. The amount of extra sponsorship that’s come in for this season, it would be a kick in the teeth. Yes crowds have been low the past couple of meetings, but I don’t know what people expect. We’re racing with half a team, and the weather will have kept a lot of people away today. I remember back to Redcar in the KO cup similar conditions and a very poor crowd. I thought the crowd was better today but when you’re chasing a deficit like that, against a team like Poole it’ll only be the diehards that are there. Cookie said he wanted to be back so there’s obviously been some talks.

Do you know the real reason, or should I say, rumoured reason for the sudden shutdown? 

Edited by CTD26
Additional text

Lady Luck rides with the pirates. Again racing a side full of gusts. Not the most attractive of fixtures for the neutral and so not really surprised that the crowd was reportedly low.

Poole will clearly  win  the p.offs against another side laden with gusts. Some years you get the rub of the green .

12 minutes ago, CTD26 said:

Do you know the real reason, or should I say, rumoured reason for the sudden shutdown? 

No but as a concerned long time supporter,  you need the crowds to survive,  and the last few weeks the crowds were low, imo,  not being negative just stating what I see

9 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Lady Luck rides with the pirates. Again racing a side full of gusts. Not the most attractive of fixtures for the neutral and so not really surprised that the crowd was reportedly low.

Poole will clearly  win  the p.offs against another side laden with gusts. Some years you get the rub of the green .

Have Oxford or Scunthorpe got a lot of riders out then 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neila said:

No but as a concerned long time supporter,  you need the crowds to survive,  and the last few weeks the crowds were low, imo,  not being negative just stating what I see

Andrew and Steve are smart with it. There’s been a lot of new sponsors come on board this season, the majority of the season the crowds have been ok. I ain’t getting into it on here why we shut down in ‘19 but we’re a hell of a long way away from that.

11 minutes ago, Neila said:

I haven't missed a home meeting this season. I've witnessed the highs and lows. The last few meetings have seen very low turn outs. I didn't think it could get much worse after plymouth, but today there were an awfully low amount of fans. 

I dont know whether that was due to it being on BSN, and the weather being poor or, it's just been a steady decline. 

Hopefully we get some high numbers next year as I have throughly enjoyed my weekends of speedway over the past two years and it would be a great shame to see it go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woke23 said:

I haven't missed a home meeting this season. I've witnessed the highs and lows. The last few meetings have seen very low turn outs. I didn't think it could get much worse after plymouth, but today there were an awfully low amount of fans. 

I dont know whether that was due to it being on BSN, and the weather being poor or, it's just been a steady decline. 

Hopefully we get some high numbers next year as I have throughly enjoyed my weekends of speedway over the past two years and it would be a great shame to see it go.

Half a team,weather didnt help, on bsn must have put people off.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Didn't stop me Geoff, I was there today. Hardcore massive! 😀

And I had to set off at 4am!

Edited by lbw
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I don't know what Comets will get financially from BSN for reaching the playoffs. At £42-99 for a 6 meeting Championship Playoff Pass  its not hard to envisage how this could have a detrimental impact on attendances.

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Well fine to poole, they are a very good side, says it all when the comets score more at wimbored Road that at home. A good 1st year back for the Comets, hoping we come to the tapes in 2025, but was a shockingly low crowd for a play off semi ginal !!!

Yep it's worrying, been thinking the same myself the past few weeks, I know a few people that used to go to Derwent Park but have never attended a meeting at Northside, how do we get them back?

I think the guests rode okay today and think it was more of the Workington riders where poor.Have enjoyed this season and where beaten by the better team today and on Wednesday.Well done Poole and good luck in the final.

• Like 1