British Speedway Forum

Poole Pirates Vs Workington Comets Play Off Semi Final 1st Leg 11/9/24

58 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

That's not going to keep happening though. Just think teams need to aim for under 10 to have a good chance and sometimes seen teams with 4-6 point leads go through, so 14 will be hard work but not impossible. 

You can aim for a closer match, but still be satisfied with a 14 points deficit.

Poole still favourites, but gives Workington a little more belief & could help the second leg crowd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marksman said:

Good effort considering we hardly had a race win! Only 2, packed the 2nd places well with 12 of them.

Well done to Starkey and Flint, great effort from all 6 riders to be fair.

FYI, the 8 day rule doesn’t count for play off meetings not just the Number 1 position. A new rule for 2024 I believe.

I’d expect Pickering and Thompson to cover for Cookie and Tate

For Vissing, either  Edwards, Kemp, Barker, or Rowe  would fit.

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

You can aim for a closer match, but still be satisfied with a 14 points deficit.

Poole still favourites, but gives Workington a little more belief & could help the second leg crowd.

Yes, agree it will help with the crowd. My point is a lot of TMs say 14 is too much to make up that is why they want 10 and under and 12 being borderline. Worky will need to bang in heat advantages from the get go, whereas Poole can afford to sit on 3-3s. See what happens. 

9 hours ago, lbw said:

We should av enough points but not enough flat whites could lead to squeaky bums all round instead! 😉 

Might not be able to make a third trip, can't get in the Waverley for starters which is all booked up. Travelodge bit pricey.

Dunno, will see in a couple of days because the weather keeps changing it's mind.

Have you priced the Hall Park Hotel lbw? it is on the hill coming down into Worky about 5 min walk into town. Your right about the weather forecast should firm up soon.

• Thanks 1

Poole's top 4 certainly came to the party last night and Vinnie made a solid comeback after being race rusty. Lawson looked mighty impressive as did Tom. 

14 points will be enough I'm sure but if we do go through the next team awaiting us will be a different beast! That is what concerns me and the feeling of 2023 again with riders going well off form at the wrong time!

No disrespect to Comets heat leaders and top end power but Oxford and Scunthorpe bring more clout on that front. 

If one of our top 3 have an off night against Masters, Nicholls, Howarth etc and the bottom end don't turn up, we will be in trouble like the Oxford meeting at home and watching them last night that is massive concern! 

I don't know the answer, the Tuesday practice sessions don't seem to be helping the lower order.

I hope I'm proved wrong and the bottom end all click for the last 4 meetings of the season!

Come on you Pirates! 

Treble is on! 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

Have you priced the Hall Park Hotel lbw? it is on the hill coming down into Worky about 5 min walk into town. Your right about the weather forecast should firm up soon.

Appreciate the info. Will check it out, thanks 👍 

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes, agree it will help with the crowd. My point is a lot of TMs say 14 is too much to make up that is why they want 10 and under and 12 being borderline. Worky will need to bang in heat advantages from the get go, whereas Poole can afford to sit on 3-3s. See what happens. 

They might think that & it may be true, but surely they'd never publicly say that. Would be terrible motivation for the team to announce "we don't think we can pull 14 points back".

I was surprised at Gavin Parr's comments ahead of the Oxford KOC ties, saying along the lines of, "we won't give up" we'll give it our all" etc. to me that sounded like someone who knows he is beaten, but calling for his team not to give up, rather than a team with an equal chance of winning!

3 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Poole's top 4 certainly came to the party last night and Vinnie made a solid comeback after being race rusty. Lawson looked mighty impressive as did Tom. 

14 points will be enough I'm sure but if we do go through the next team awaiting us will be a different beast! That is what concerns me and the feeling of 2023 again with riders going well off form at the wrong time!

No disrespect to Comets heat leaders and top end power but Oxford and Scunthorpe bring more clout on that front. 

If one of our top 3 have an off night against Masters, Nicholls, Howarth etc and the bottom end don't turn up, we will be in trouble like the Oxford meeting at home and watching them last night that is massive concern! 

I don't know the answer, the Tuesday practice sessions don't seem to be helping the lower order.

I hope I'm proved wrong and the bottom end all click for the last 4 meetings of the season!

Come on you Pirates! 

Treble is on! 

I share your fears. We can’t win anything if three of our team continue to perform as they are. Tobias has completely lost it since his injuries. Looks poor. Hagon the same. One decent ride last night but tailed off in his others. Vinnie can be forgiven but is a trier and just back.

Against Oxford they will be found wanting. Masters and Nicholls are capable of beating our top boys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Come on you Pirates! 

Treble is on! 

Comets top end power has been our big strength all season, I think you might be basing this off what you've seen over 3 meetings at Wimbourne road? I'd argue Scunny's top end is weak compared to the Comets. We've had four 9 point ave. riders at home this season and our strength has been winning heats away from home (but also coming last in the same race)

Scunny are strong at home of course, but have a better strength in depth overall.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

They might think that & it may be true, but surely they'd never publicly say that. Would be terrible motivation for the team to announce "we don't think we can pull 14 points back".

I was surprised at Gavin Parr's comments ahead of the Oxford KOC ties, saying along the lines of, "we won't give up" we'll give it our all" etc. to me that sounded like someone who knows he is beaten, but calling for his team not to give up, rather than a team with an equal chance of winning!

It was a few years ago on the Poole stream, I think it was Cami that said that he didn't want it going to 14-16 points, as it prob too much to make up. Also Middlo has said in the past keep it within 10, no more than that. 

Well the Pirates top three supported by Zac are certainly doing the heavy lifting. I think Sam Hagon is on the verge of coming good, he's a confidence rider and the fought for win last night will help. Tobias is pretty much his average, lacks the hunger of a couple of months ago. Vinnie did fine as a first day back and will improve. These three are key to silverware success. 

Great to see the team riding of the Cook bros in heat 5, Ben letting his brother through to win probably got the 2 extra points. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I share your fears. We can’t win anything if three of our team continue to perform as they are. Tobias has completely lost it since his injuries. Looks poor. Hagon the same. One decent ride last night but tailed off in his others. Vinnie can be forgiven but is a trier and just back.

Against Oxford they will be found wanting. Masters and Nicholls are capable of beating our top boys. 

You forgetting about Sam McGurk, he certainly owes the promotion and fans a big home performance but I don't believe he has it in him unfortunately.