British Speedway Forum

CLRC 15/9/24 @ Redcar

8 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

Fair enough, either way what happened today was correct as per the rules of the actual federation running it.. 

I too will take your word for it, 😁but I can't find any mention of that particular scenario in the Regs.

Maybe there was a Supplementary Regulation issued for the event?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IanBrannan said:

He was defo 7th on countback until Masters was taken out of the meeting by the medics. 

6E989F0A-9E2D-403E-A6D0-6E914284A846.jpeg

Yes, I meant top 6 in this meeting, you got me all mixed up by bringing the GP's into it. Rules say top 6 qualify:

014.7.2 Race Format

The 16 rider, 20 heat format is utilised when the top 2 riders will be seeded direct to Heat 22 and the next 4 riders finishing positions 3rd to 6th, will compete in Heat 21 from which the top 2 will go forward to Heat 22.

Masters "finished" 5th

Kemp "finished" 7th

Masters, unfortunately, "withdrew" from the meeting, he wasn't excluded from the meeting.

They're the published regs, like @Gambosaid you must probably have an unpublished supplementary reg that none of us have seen? :D

Edited by IainB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Being old fashioned I guess, I think Lawson should've won this meeting on 13 points, no need to have a final.

I agree but it is what it is now and builds up more excitement for the final.A rider can get into the top 6 by taking it steady in the heats 2points from 5 rides will get you 10 points.Pleased Pickering won as he was more entertaining.

9 minutes ago, soupy said:

I agree but it is what it is now and builds up more excitement for the final.A rider can get into the top 6 by taking it steady in the heats 2points from 5 rides will get you 10 points.Pleased Pickering won as he was more entertaining.

And that's another reason why it's a bad format for a one off meeting...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soupy said:

It would do if the fans weren't left standing around for 20 minutes while the riders put new tyres on for the last 2 races... a fact that is known at the start of the meeting. All riders should have an extra wheel with tyre fitted ready to go, if it's not used, then use it for the next meeting.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

These riders who withdrew with injuries before the meeting. Should be given a 14 day” recovery period “to allow them to heal.Disrespectful to loyal fans who pay their wages for the rest of the season.

No complaints with that, even if it's not 14, at least a 7 day recovery period.

13 hours ago, IanBrannan said:

A heat can be awarded after 2 completed laps.. 

012.1.16 Awarding a Heat
If the leading rider has completed at least 2 laps, then the Referee shall
have the sole discretion to either order a re-run or award the heat based
upon the positions when it was caused to be stopped; riders, other than the
one disqualified being advanced one place.

The heat was re run as with Sam Masters withdrawing it left the final semi final place undecided between Jason Edwards and Drew Kemp, both of whom were also in the heat.  Drew’s win in the re run did indeed qualify him for the semi.

Fair enough but both you and Rory were still stating that they were on the last lap, which was my point.

Anyway, decent meeting, decent presentation as per usual.

2 hours ago, soupy said:

It also allows a fancied rider to have a bit of bad luck and still have a chance of winning which is pro for this format 

19 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

It also allows a fancied rider to have a bit of bad luck and still have a chance of winning which is pro for this format 

It's all about entertainment so I've no problem with the additional races at all. The excitement builds and surely that is what the majority of fans want. 

BSN have been fab this year with commentary, analysis, regularity of meetings etc. Will really miss their coverage during the autumnal/winter months. Thanks IB.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buttons said:

Maybe it should be written to riders contracts.

But they would still say they picked up an injury, then suddenly be ok for the play-offs the next day (Howarth).

Should run the CLRC before the play-offs & any rider who qualifies but doesn't ride, can't ride for his team in the play-offs / can't guest on the play-offs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soupy said:

I agree but it is what it is now and builds up more excitement for the final.A rider can get into the top 6 by taking it steady in the heats 2 points from 5 rides will get you 10 points. Pleased Pickering won as he was more entertaining.

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

It's all about entertainment so I've no problem with the additional races at all. The excitement builds and surely that is what the majority of fans want. 

BSN have been fab this year with commentary, analysis, regularity of meetings etc. Will really miss their coverage during the autumnal/winter months. Thanks IB.

I understand what you're saying, but disagree. I'm sure many fans like the finals, think it's exciting & enjoy the extra races. I think it detracts from the event, certainly in Richard Lawson's last ride instead of thinking "he could win the meeting here" you're thinking "he could qualify top to have another go". So yes the final may be more exciting, but the heats leading to it can become less exciting (i.e. it doesn't matter if a certain rider is last, they'll get another shot).

Even if it was my favourite rider, I wouldn't be happy about them having a chance to win after finishing 6th, as I'd feel they didn't deserve it (despite it being within the rules).

Seems to be they way speedway works these days, with finals & play-offs etc. Can't see it changing, but it's not for me.

2 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

I understand what you're saying, but disagree. I'm sure many fans like the finals, think it's exciting & enjoy the extra races. I think it detracts from the event, certainly in Richard Lawson's last ride instead of thinking "he could win the meeting here" you're thinking "he could qualify top to have another go". So yes the final may be more exciting, but the heats leading to it can become less exciting (i.e. it doesn't matter if a certain rider is last, they'll get another shot).

Even if it was my favourite rider, I wouldn't be happy about them having a chance to win after finishing 6th, as I'd feel they didn't deserve it (despite it being within the rules).

Seems to be they way speedway works these days, with finals & play-offs etc. Can't see it changing, but it's not for me.

Agree on the playoffs. Poland is even worse you can finish 6/8 and be in the playoffs.