British Speedway Forum

Team managers who are ex riders.

Definitley not. 3 of the most successful, popular with both fans & riders alike in terms of respect, managers have never thrown a leg over a speedway machine (well, not in anger) - Step forwards Peter Adams, Tim Sugar & Rob Lyon

Reading various comments in regard to Birmingham on this forum, only go to prove how inaccurate your statement is

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s an interesting question, but also a tough one.

I often wonder how a Glasgow rider responds to criticism - both personally and in media snippets - from Cami Brown, someone who isn’t an ex-rider. I’m neither, but believe it entirely human to struggle to take advice and/or criticism from someone who hasn’t walked in your shoes.

Having said that, I don’t believe the role of a manager in speedway is as critical to the team’s success as that of, for example, a football manager. Beyond assisting the promotion in building a team and making appropriate substitutions which are often blatant to all, the input is largely restricted in impacting the ultimate goal.

3 hours ago, rusky said:

Definitley not. 3 of the most successful, popular with both fans & riders alike in terms of respect, managers have never thrown a leg over a speedway machine (well, not in anger) - Step forwards Peter Adams, Tim Sugar & Rob Lyon

Reading various comments in regard to Birmingham on this forum, only go to prove how inaccurate your statement is

You are always going to get the exceptions, hence Adams and Lyon. However 

Belle Vue Lemon

Sheffield Stead

Oxford Schroek

Ipswich Hawkins

Birmingham Ermolenko

and Poole the most successful club in the U.K. with Middleditch and Havelock 

all these as examples and I guess there may be more.

Currently, in the top division at least, there seem to be more ex-riders as managers.   Some ex-riders are good managers, and some ex-riders are at Birmingham.

But back in the heyday,  I'd say the best managers were non-riders.    Ian Thomas, John Berry, Martin Rogers, Pete Adams etc.    (although Len Silver, Eric Boocock, Colin Pratt could dispute that).

• Like 2

On 9/6/2024 at 3:23 PM, rusky said:

And Stuart Dickson

I think you only have to quote Poole Speedway to prove that an ex-rider  TM works. Trophy cabinet overflowing.  Not saying that this always the case - there are and have been some inept TM's both ex riders and non riders. 

Another ex rider from the past is Tommy Price of West Ham 1965 fame. Won the lot .... BL , KO cup and London Cup. Did it for one year then retired.

On 9/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

I think you only have to quote Poole Speedway to prove that an ex-rider  TM works. Trophy cabinet overflowing.  Not saying that this always the case - there are and have been some inept TM's both ex riders and non riders. 

Another ex rider from the past is Tommy Price of West Ham 1965 fame. Won the lot .... BL , KO cup and London Cup. Did it for one year then retired.

No disrespect to middlo or havvy but they have no say in team building I believe, they are given a team to manage,assembled by matt and or Danny Ford  .Rosco on the other hand , built the teams he managed ,as did Pete Adams

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 12:03 PM, old bob at herne bay said:

Middlo had / has the easiest TM job in the British Speedway. Matt Ford's money is the one & only reason for Poole's success

3 hours ago, castrolargh said:

No disrespect to middlo or havvy but they have no say in team building I believe, they are given a team to manage,assembled by matt and or Danny Ford  .Rosco on the other hand , built the teams he managed ,as did Pete Adams

Mmmm... but MANAGE them they do ....... I dont think the riders get away with much under the command of Middlo and to a much lesser extent Havelock. So many riders at Poole seem to blossom and run into form under the command of Middlo.... who offer s them a bike workshop and accommodation at Baillie House.