British Speedway Forum

Will speedway ever return to London?

In the past as you all may know there was loads of teams that raced in and around the capitol. Manchester has remained to have speedway of today and also Birmingham. Why no London tracks now. Will it ever return. If so Where?

Edited by Youhave2minutes

Are there any venues where Speedway could be raced.

I would suggest that a new purpose built Stadium like the NSS, Manchester, would be prohibative in London where I would expect the land prices to be so high.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The White Knight said:

I would suggest that a new purpose built Stadium like the NSS, Manchester, would be prohibative in London where I would expect the land prices to be so high.

Surely it’s got to be profitable with only one club. The population there is enormous.

3 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I agree and with a massive population in and around the outskirts I’m sure it would pay

It would be nice, but I’m afraid I doubt it due to the economics associated with it.

Too many factors challenge the prospect; the cost of land, rent rates, lack of money in the sport itself, etc.

On that note, how many clubs actually race “in” cities?

Ashfield isn’t too far from the city centre of Glasgow; probably a bit further out than Shawfield was, but in the other direction. Depending on traffic, Armadale is closer to Glasgow than Edinburgh.

If I remember correctly, Wimborne Road is bang in the middle of Poole, but is Poole a city or a town?

Odsal was in the city, assuming Bradford is a city.

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

Owlerton is less than two miles from Sheffield city centre (in a straight line)while the NSS is a little bit further out from central Manchester but both close enough.

Odsal is right out on the outskirts of Bradford but with good road links of course.

2 hours ago, TheWellBehavedWorrall said:

It would be nice, but I’m afraid I doubt it due to the economics associated with it.

Too many factors challenge the prospect; the cost of land, rent rates, lack of money in the sport itself, etc.

Ashfield isn’t too far from the city centre of Glasgow; probably a bit further out than Shawfield was, but in the other direction. Depending on traffic, Armadale is closer to Glasgow than Edinburgh.

If I remember correctly, Wimborne Road is bang in the middle of Poole, but is Poole a city or a town?

Sandy Lane at Oxford is within the city limits.

Sadly, I can't see it happening. When the Dons were booted out of Plough Lane they looked long and hard for some land on which to build a track but to no avail and I would imagine the situation would be worse now.

Another consideration is that if we accept that speedway is traditionally a white, working-class sport, then the demographic changes in London (and many other cities) would suggest that the target audience is either no longer there or would be vastly reduced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chadster said:

Sadly, I can't see it happening. When the Dons were booted out of Plough Lane they looked long and hard for some land on which to build a track but to no avail and I would imagine the situation would be worse now.

Another consideration is that if we accept that speedway is traditionally a white, working-class sport, then the demographic changes in London (and many other cities) would suggest that the target audience is either no longer there or would be vastly reduced.

I think there is a lot of truth and sense in the opinion you expressed.

• Like 1

If I'd got the cash and ambitions, I'd be looking at Crystal Palace. Historically a motorsports venue with an active audience trying to get motorsports re-instated. But I think before any of that could happen the sport needs to be growing or at least have a plan to grow.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Deano said:

If I'd got the cash and ambitions, I'd be looking at Crystal Palace. Historically a motorsports venue with an active audience trying to get motorsports re-instated. But I think before any of that could happen the sport needs to be growing or at least have a plan to grow.

Spot on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But, I'd want to go a bit stupid as the name "London" didn't work at Hackney. So, to maximise my investment I'd push for more than one day per week and attempt to run one day as "Crystal Palace", another as "Wimbledon" and another as "Hackney". Three teams from one venue, that way I could get more bucks for my investment.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Crystal Palace would be a great place but sadly the old circuit racing track had massive problems with the locals (including a hospital) and opening a new track would never be allowed. 

I went to the cricket last night at Edgbaston, speedway has a long way to go, before it gets back to that level. But I bet, a new cricket ground, would get the same level of rejections due to noise, but would get over looked due to the cash it brings in to the area.

Edited by Deano

51 minutes ago, Deano said:

But, I'd want to go a bit stupid as the name "London" didn't work at Hackney. So, to maximise my investment I'd push for more than one day per week and attempt to run one day as "Crystal Palace", another as "Wimbledon" and another as "Hackney". Three teams from one venue, that way I could get more bucks for my investment.

Wot! No West Ham?. 

• Like 1