British Speedway Forum

Best track in U.K. to watch racing

Ashfield, but I’m biased.

In 40 years of watching speedway, the current circuit in speedway is as a good a track as I’ve ever seen. Again, I’m a Glasgow fan, so inevitably taking this view through tinted spectacles, but I’ve never saw so many passing lines on a track, regardless of whether it’s heat one or heat fifteen.

The Oxford and Poole meetings in September and October of last season were nothing short of breathtaking. I fell back in love with speedway as a result.

I enjoyed Redcar and Berwick, but find that the entertainment value at Armadale has diminished. I used to really rate Edinburgh’s track, but my last two or three visits have been boring, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Glasgow or Workington. Nowhere else comes close, and yes, that includes Belle Vue.

Very hard to choose between Glasgow and Workington though.

Redcar would have been up there too, but not on the basis of what I've seen this year - which suggests track preparation is very much a skill!

• Like 1

So many I have visited sadly are no more.... got to say the atmosphere and facilities at most of the "modern Stadia" are pretty poor with few having a fully enclosed stadium. Few have seating /standing spectator facilities around the entire track . 

The recently closed Sittingbourne at Central Park (not the Iwade training track) gets my vote mainly based on the  luxurious spectator facilites and excellent viewing. Free car parking.  The track was a technical one, not of the modern day throttle jockey style where the guy with the fastest engine wins.  

current tracks - Belle Vue, Glasgow, Redcar, Scunny

former tracks - Belle Vue (Hyde Road), Somerset, Hackney, Exeter, Canterbury (pre-'87), Peterborough

Edited by stevehone

In rough order:-

Obviously, Belle Vue stands head and shoulders above the rest.

But Workington, Redcar, Scunthorpe and Glasgow can all offer top-quality racing.

King's Lynn should be good. Maybe it is track preparation that holds it back, but it's decent.   Just could be better.

Sheffield used to be very good.  But the track hasn't kept up with the advance in machinery.  If it could be wider, it would be very good.

Berwick also suffers from the narrow straights, and being a fast track, the lack of width does hinder passing a bit.

Poole gets criticised for the surface, but it's a decent track.

Ipswich is next.   OK for a smaller track.

Oxford and Birmingham are as good as they can be within the confines of a greyhound track

Leicester used to be very poor, but efforts to reshape the bends in recent years have improved it.

Edinburgh is small and tight and a bit rundown.  But it does have its own friendly charm.

Plymouth is.... well Plymouth.  However being on the border of Devon and Cornwall it's a lovely place for a visit.

From visists only rather than. TV viewing etc - The NSS is certainly good, my first visit there on the recent BHM was a very good match - however in terms of racing lines and making passes from my vists I'd say Scunthorpe, you can make up a huge amount of ground there very quickly to make passes, I only went once in 2009 i think it was but it was a good match. I watched a couple of their meetings on the BSN and their seeemd to be some sort of passing in virtually every heat.

Other favourites inclue(d) Owlerton although i agree its not as good as it used to be in my view, Alwalton and I did also like the old Hackney. Surprisingly i also had a bit of time for the old track at Coventry - mainly because in the old British finals the racing could get quite frantic towards the business end of the meeting.

• Thanks 1