British Speedway Forum

Best Speedway Promotor/s of all time ?

John Perrin, in the several meetings I rode for John I always found him a laugh and straight talking and I know he wasn’t always reliable with payment but he always paid me and on time but I suppose the best has to be CVS or Ian Thomas but Thomas was more forward thinking of the two

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

6 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

John Perrin, in the several meetings I rode for John I always found him a laugh and straight talking and I know he wasn’t always reliable with payment but he always paid me and on time

John Berry at Ipswich.

• Like 1

Matt Ford and his family at Poole deserve a mention.

I’m not sure how accurate it is, but I read somewhere recently that the Pirates have been the most successful British club in terms of honours since the turn of the century. That sustained success and competitiveness is admirable.

From a Glasgow perspective, the Facenna family have been an absolute blessing.

Ashfield used to derelict amateur football ground; it’s now an arena. The experience is like nothing I’ve ever experienced in the sport and the track guarantees entertainment. The club have also become competitive again which is the least you can ask. None of which would be possible without the Facenna family’s investment and leadership.

• Like 2

Tim Stone at Newport, turned his dream into reality, backed with his own monies, and during hard times was stacking shelves in the local supermarket to help keep the whole thing afloat, the financial constraints mean't the club was always going to struggle to be in the top half of the table, but speedway every year in one or two leagues guaranteed, sadly with his demise the new Newport promoters  showed how it should not be done, and it was gone in a flash ( or a fire if you prefer )

If you have a couple of minutes read the link below and see the measure of the man 

Tim Stone – Methanol Press

Edited by piston197
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I agree but he had a lot of enemies within the bspa which could point to the fact that he was in the right 

I dont doubt it...

Innovation and change wouldn't have come easy to some...

Dinosaur's did become extinct though....

• Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 6:18 PM, mikebv said:

Jonathan Chapman seemed have a fair old idea on running a night out at the speedway...

I certainly miss that guy. One of very very few promoters to have the supporters at the forefront. Did his absolute damndest to drive the BSPA in the right direction. 

No idea if you're taking the pish or not but I'm hugely of the belief his departure ( from King's Lynn & BSPA) had a substantial effect on the sports downfall. None of it his fault.

He had serious aspirations to lift British Speedway but the dinosaurs absolutely stamped him out.

There wasn't anyone like him 10yrs prior & certainly nobody ever since.

He was this sports last hope of professionalism imo

• Like 1