British Speedway Forum

Riders that sorted problems out!

There's a discussion on the forum about dirty riders on the track. Here's one about riders that didn't necessarily sort the problem out on the track but off of it. Riders that were harder off of it than on it.

Carl Stonehewer chasing a rider with a shovel.

Stan Bear climbing a seven foot fence to get at someone who was giving his mrs grief.

39 minutes ago, Odds On said:

There's a discussion on the forum about dirty riders on the track. Here's one about riders that didn't necessarily sort the problem out on the track but off of it. Riders that were harder off of it than on it.

Stan Bear climbing a seven foot fence to get at someone who was giving his mrs grief.

I think you mean Dan Dare ?

2 hours ago, Odds On said:

Not so much the riders as their family’s, the garrity family had a few moments in the pits after races and I had Eddie Kenneth’s old man Dave threatening me and my mechanic after a British final qualifying round at Wimbledon in 2003 which carried on to a league match at rye house a week after, to this day I have no idea what his beef with me was 

Roman Matousek punching a fan at Peterborough after just breaking his wrist - now that was 'hard'! Mitch Shirra was fiery also, threatening the referee and may have actually used his helmet as a weapon. Martin Dugard punching Stefan Andersson on TV. Craig Boyce of course.  Many others where I've forgotten the protagonists over the years 😀

Tame, all of 'em 😏.  At Hull Craven Park, an away rider accidentally skittled off 2 Hull riders in separate races, pretty sure both were accidental, the Vikings were handing out the then usual pasting and the opposition were getting a bit desperate.  Well one home rider had seen enough and when the unsuspecting away rider returned to the pits the Viking dived Superman-style off the grass bank near the pits, skittled the unsuspecting rider clean off his bike and a full-on brawl ensued.  Both names obv redacted.  Didn't witness the incedent personally but the story was recounted almost word for word to me by several, it has to be said amazed, onlookers, including team managers, promoters, team-mates & the poor rider himself on the recieving end of 'Hull's own Superman'🙂....

Edited by martinmauger
speling

Speedway: Not guilty says Tigers star in punch-up row. - Free Online Library (thefreelibrary.com)

It did not quite look to me to be as the quote from Will Beveridge gives above, Courtney came off on his own in a tight 2nd bend, Linqvist never touched him, still sitting on his bike awaiting the re-run Beveridge launched himself at Emil, knocking off his bike and dislocating his shoulder, so he could not go in the re-run, then mechanics, team managers all had a bit of a scrap on the track .

Also saw the lesser of the 3 Karlsson brothers have a heated discussion with the start marshal over the marshal trying to move him over, eventually moved, made a bad start, came last, then returned to the start marshal and had a punch up with him at the tapes after the race had finished !

Redcar v Leicester

Kevin Doolan a bit miffed at Aaron Summers clips him after the race on the back straight causing Aaron to fall off, he then legs it across the centre green chasing after Kevin.

At the pits entrance there is a crowd of people to keep them apart so Aaron throws his crash helmet at him.

One of the funniest things I’ve seen, all that was missing was the Benny Hill music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Odds On said:

Edited by rearingtogo

4 hours ago, Odds On said:

This thread is hilarious with riders antics. Better than my dirty riders thread. Thanks.

• Like 3

Vaguely recall an incident, probably at Scunthorpe. A rider with just one foot on the footrest, pulled in the clutch, revved the bike, aimed it the rider he was angry with, then let go of the clutch, and jumped off the bike, firing it at him.

I believe he may have been sacked on the spot. 

Anyone else remember this?

Edited by RS50

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

Vaguely recall an incident, probably at Scunthorpe. A rider with just one foot on the footrest, pulled in the clutch, revved the bike, aimed it the rider he was angry with, then let go of the clutch, and jumped off the bike, firing it at him.

I believe he may have been sacked on the spot. 

Anyone else remember this?

Ben Powell at Newcastle 

54 minutes ago, RS50 said:

I'm sure you are right about the rider, but it won't have been at Newcastle. I've never been there.

It was. Fired his bike right into the side of Kenni Larsen, outside the pit gate. Banned and never rode again I think.  Maybe there was a similar incident elsewhere.

Stoke v Peterborough Tony Boyle and Phil White had an incident on the back straight. Boyle walking across the centre green back to the pits when Brian Clark runs across it and kicks him in the cobblers with Tony going down like the proverbial sack of spuds.  

17 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Tame, all of 'em 😏.  At Hull Craven Park, an away rider accidentally skittled off 2 Hull riders in separate races, pretty sure both were accidental, the Vikings were handing out the then usual pasting and the opposition were getting a bit desperate.  Well one home rider had seen enough and when the unsuspecting away rider returned to the pits the Viking dived Superman-style off the grass bank near the pits, skittled the unsuspecting rider clean off his bike and a full-on brawl ensued.  Both names obv redacted.  Didn't witness the incedent personally but the story was recounted almost word for word to me by several, it has to be said amazed, onlookers, including team managers, promoters, team-mates & the poor rider himself on the recieving end of 'Hull's own Superman'🙂....

The story unfolded when I spoke to the rider in question, on the receiving end of the 'Superman-dive', after the meeting remarked he looked like he'd been beaten up (literally), he recounted the story, confirmed later by others.  No wonder the DJ played 'I Predict A Riot' by Kaiser Chiefs.  Both riders now obv retired tho the ex-non Superman rider is still involved on the other side of the fence....

Tigers versus Monarchs meetings used to be half-speedway, half-UFC in the early 2000s.

I remember James Grieves clashing with Robert Eriksson, Frede Schött and Christian Henry, all in the space of around three seasons in Scottish derby meetings.

Nothing will top Craig Boyce’s right hook on Tomasz Gollob at the 1995 British GP in Hackney.

Nicholls versus Sayfutdinov at a later British GP in Cardiff was also a bit mental.

What happened with Carl Stonehewer at Reading in around 2004? I remember reading reports about him scrapping with track staff, but can’t remember exactly what’s happened.

Hancock on Pedersen a few years ago was tremendous. I love them both, but that whole situation was mental. Greg Hancock attacking someone is on par with David Attenborough being charged with breach of the peace.