British Speedway Forum

GLASGOW V OXFORD ....... SUNDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER 5PM START,

Just caught up with the meeting. Heats 13 and 15 really great racing with Bomber and Masters. Boughen again looking good. Def one for the top. Poland will no doubt be calling for next season. But got to block him going right out to the fence to nullify him a bit. As soon as he is out there he’s a rocket ship and not to be caught.

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

What did Leon have too say.

Not his best season but he'd keep on trying to move forward and improve as a rider. When asked about coming back, replied do the fans want me back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MD said:

Not his best season but he'd keep on trying to move forward and improve as a rider. When asked about coming back, replied do the fans want me back.

Not if that's the attitude. We want riders who want to be around. Fans are fickle - produce the goods on the track and of course they'll want you. 

Excluding his exclusion for going to the pits, Ashton Boughen has scored a paid 40 (38+2) from a possible 42 in his last three meetings (two of which were away from home). What a fantastic end to the season. Watch out Poole!

Edited by Bojangles

43 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

Excluding his exclusion for going to the pits, Ashton Boughen has scored a paid 40 (38+2) from a possible 42 in his last three meetings (two of which were away from home). What a fantastic end to the season. Watch out Poole!

While Boughen is flying, others in the Oxford team are not so I think we will be ok.

Boughen did the same at Poole a few meetings back. Once he got out wide no one, including Lawson, could get near him. Need to block his run out wide early, which is easier said than done. Straight to fence on bend two and he won’t be able to generate the speed he gets.  

Certainly Oxfords trump card heading into the playoffs and KO Cup.

4 hours ago, Noelinho said:

Not if that's the attitude. We want riders who want to be around. Fans are fickle - produce the goods on the track and of course they'll want you. 

Are you really a Glasgow fan. Tigers fans in general like to see riders trying. They realise not every rider can score a maximum. One thing Leon can't be accused of is not trying. He hasn't always been quick enough or picked the right lines on the track BUT he tries and contributes to the team's overall performance. Last night he tried his guts out once again and in Heat 15 he crucially held back Boughen thus meaning Bomber only had Masters to worry about. He started the season with a 6.40 Green Sheet average achieved at a track where he had ridden for a good few years. He has moved to a different type of track and he achieved a modest increase to 6.82. He is clearly disappointed that he didn't do better but it would be madness to replace him now that his efforts are being rewarded with more points.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Are you really a Glasgow fan. Tigers fans in general like to see riders trying. They realise not every rider can score a maximum. One thing Leon can't be accused of is not trying. He hasn't always been quick enough or picked the right lines on the track BUT he tries and contributes to the team's overall performance. Last night he tried his guts out once again and in Heat 15 he crucially held back Boughen thus meaning Bomber only had Masters to worry about. He started the season with a 6.40 Green Sheet average achieved at a track where he had ridden for a good few years. He has moved to a different type of track and he achieved a modest increase to 6.82. He is clearly disappointed that he didn't do better but it would be madness to replace him now that his efforts are being rewarded with more points.

You're reading too much into what I'm saying. I'm not sure what made you think I'm saying he's not trying.

I'm just saying he should come back because that's what he wants, not because of - or in spite of - the fans.

Perhaps the comments betray a slight lack of self-confidence, but you have to learn not to listen too much to fans, because you can go hero to zero and the other way all in one meeting.

10 hours ago, MD said:

It's an unfair to be asked this question. In the distant past riders would say they wanted to come back at the last meeting  but ask for a move shortly after.

Glasgow seem to make their plans before the season ends. May be he doesn't want to come back, may be he's been told he's not, may be he hasn't decided. May be. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Boughen did the same at Poole a few meetings back. Once he got out wide no one, including Lawson, could get near him. Need to block his run out wide early, which is easier said than done. Straight to fence on bend two and he won’t be able to generate the speed he gets.  

Certainly Oxfords trump card heading into the playoffs and KO Cup.

Getting your excuses in early 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/8/2024 at 8:40 PM, MD said:

A very down to earth interview from Leon at the end although unfairly asked if he'd like to come back next year. Most of the riders know they won't be returning and its unfortunate to put any rider in that position in front of a microphone IMO.

Still all quiet on next year, can it really be 38 points again!

I think it's the stupidest question a rider could be asked. I don't think many, if any, are likely to say no, unless it's followed by I've retired.

• Like 1

Anyway back to the meeting . After watching Zmarslik heave and elbow another rider into the fence on Saturday night , and as usual get away with it .

It was a joy watching Harris and Masters give each other room to race and thrill the crowd with amazing four laps of speedway in heats 13 and 15 . 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Anyway back to the meeting . After watching Zmarslik heave and elbow another rider into the fence on Saturday night , and as usual get away with it .

It was a joy watching Harris and Masters give each other room to race and thrill the crowd with amazing four laps of speedway in heats 13 and 15 . 

Watched heats 13 and 15 last night, great entertaining racing!!

• Like 1