British Speedway Forum

Time to sack Phil Morris?

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Didn't they not show both legs of the pay offs live last year? Still doesn't answer the question of why rig/fix the fixtures as they have?

Yes they did. They agreed the fixtures because WBD needed to know where in the country they needed OB units on specific dates.

tbh like others on here, even though I have retired from watching speedway after 60+ years, the sport still entertains me .... every season is a comedy , building slowly from the early meetings with 7 riders in a team, then seeing R/R and gusts come into play, then add in riders"withholding their services"   or injured only for UK meetings.

Rising to a crescendo at the "business end" of the season with a sudden bums rush to complete fixtures by the "cut off" date, then extensions to the "cut off date". Gusts have turned into gales of Gusts sometimes  Chris Harris riding in every match. for every team challenging for the P.Offs. This happens every season.

However this season is like no other. We have the added excitement of the use of  Speedway's equivalent of AI , also known as Phil Morris, who as a successful TV game show player has artificially guessed results of all fixtures for the P. offs.  Stunning.

With so many gusts in use it matters not a jot who wins the p.offs, but its jolly good fun coming on this forum and seeing the same old same old every season, and he promises of better next season (albeit with fewer tracks operating )

What a wonderful sport  🙂 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

Yes they did. They agreed the fixtures because WBD needed to know where in the country they needed OB units on specific dates.

No, they only had reports from the 1st leg of the semi from Monmore

The whole situation is clearly ridiculous but I think Phil Morris is pretty untouchable so I would expect we'll simply just carry on with more of the same to come in future. Disappointing though as I like many others thought Phil might make a bit of a difference and avoid the sort of nonsense that we have recently witnessed.

Talking of Phil, did anyone ever hear anything further about the mystery new Speedway track that he referred to during the Brandon Stadium planning enquiry? Was there anything in it or was it just a load of guff?

23 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

The whole situation is clearly ridiculous but I think Phil Morris is pretty untouchable so I would expect we'll simply just carry on with more of the same to come in future. Disappointing though as I like many others thought Phil might make a bit of a difference and avoid the sort of nonsense that we have recently witnessed.

Talking of Phil, did anyone ever hear anything further about the mystery new Speedway track that he referred to during the Brandon Stadium planning enquiry? Was there anything in it or was it just a load of guff?

It's a mystery.

On 9/3/2024 at 12:41 PM, ouch said:

Whilst I fully expected us to be defeated by Sheffield during the play off process, this rigging of the fixtures now sees us lose out on potentially £80k+ of supporter income. Coming on the back of the SON it’s something the club could have done without. 

Sorry but just out of interest how did you get to a figure of 80k was this TV money for the meetings? 

2 hours ago, 1stbender said:

Sorry but just out of interest how did you get to a figure of 80k was this TV money for the meetings? 

3000 x £25, plus programme and bar/food from a play off final. 

If we’d had a chance to “fix” it we would have gone with Ipswich (definite win) or Leicester (maybe win, we’ve done it once this year). The last team we would have picked is Sheffield who have defeated us on aggregate 3 times already in the last 5 months. 

Sheffield picked us as it’s a definite win for them and they will get a bigger crowd for the semi than for the final as we bring the most fans.
The extra fans we get with Sheffield being near is marginal when compared to Leicester and a good 20-30 more when compared to Ipswich.

Just hope this latest BSPL stunt doesn’t sink us. 

14 minutes ago, ouch said:

3000 x £25, plus programme and bar/food from a play off final. 

If we’d had a chance to “fix” it we would have gone with Ipswich (definite win) or Leicester (maybe win, we’ve done it once this year). The last team we would have picked is Sheffield who have defeated us on aggregate 3 times already in the last 5 months. 

Sheffield picked us as it’s a definite win for them and they will get a bigger crowd for the semi than for the final as we bring the most fans.
The extra fans we get with Sheffield being near is marginal when compared to Leicester and a good 20-30 more when compared to Ipswich.

Just hope this latest BSPL stunt doesn’t sink us. 

80k sounds a lot,but what would be the bottom line once everything else is paid out.Anything is better than nothing though and obviously you would want to have a semi and a final.Lets hope you get both.

On 9/3/2024 at 8:44 PM, WembleyLion said:

You need to allow him 5 years - the saying Rome wasn't built in a day is very true, Speedway has multiple problems and 2 years (2 seasons) is not long enough to solve them!

I for one have noted some decent inovations and improvements - the programme quality is much better, we all said the beginning of the season event at the NSS was well done, the BSN coverage is excellent - give him more time and lets see!

I was the the NSS the orther week to see Sheffield against the Aces - it wa s really good meeting and the whole set up at the NSS is very good. Just need to try and build on that.

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

You need to allow him 5 years - the saying Rome wasn't built in a day is very true, Speedway has multiple problems and 2 years (2 seasons) is not long enough to solve them!

I for one have noted some decent inovations and improvements - the programme quality is much better, we all said the beginning of the season event at the NSS was well done, the BSN coverage is excellent - give him more time and lets see!

I was the the NSS the orther week to see Sheffield against the Aces - it wa s really good meeting and the whole set up at the NSS is very good. Just need to try and build on that.

Mate... he's rigged the bloody play offs!

Just now, GeneralMelchett said:

I am sure 'he" hasnt! 😜

Whatever shenanigans have gone on it won't have been just down to him!

He's at least complicit in it. Shows me he's got no scruples, he's gone way way down in my estimation. There's no way I would have gone along with this, it's a matter of principles

6 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I’m reluctant to have a go at Phil’s input when the sport in this country has bigger problems than he could be expected to turn around. Point the finger at his employers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

He's at least complicit in it. Shows me he's got no scruples, he's gone way way down in my estimation. There's no way I would have gone along with this, it's a matter of principles

Maybe so - but you can't change things from outside the tent so to speak! Being honest i gave up being interested in the morals and scruples of so many sports long ago! Just look at the premier league football!

3 minutes ago, Teromaafan said:

I’m reluctant to have a go at Phil’s input when the sport in this country has bigger problems than he could be expected to turn around. Point the finger at his employers.

good point yes - like i said earlier lets review in 5 years or so

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Maybe so - but you can't change things from outside the tent so to speak! Being honest i gave up being interested in the morals and scruples of so many sports long ago! Just look at the premier league football!

As he's the only one that has commented on it and we'll never find out the true goings on I'm afraid he's going to have to take the blame. If he had anything about him this would have been a resigning matter and as he hasn't, he's proved himself to be as corrupt as the rest of them. 

Like him or loathe him P Morris has an untenable job. Bottom line has been and always will be, there aren’t enough bums on seats at speedway meetings in the UK. Not helped by loss of venues resulting in a distorted spread of tracks throughout the UK, and the ageing profile of the supporter base. Uk speedway is now entirely dependent on TV money, whether through Eurosport or BSN. They call the shots. 

Cricket reinvented itself through the one day game. Purists hate it , but it brought in much needed revenue and saved cricket in England and Wales. They now have a problem of too much cricket, and players saying they are overworked. Oh, if only speedway was in that position.

Speedway however hasn’t changed, save for the ever growing SGP series of individual events at all age group levels. This seems to “capture the imagination “ of the masses, and captures the ambitions of riders who place this ahead of team speedway in their priorities. 

There needs to be a seismic change to UK speedway to survive. IOW  and Kent have experimented with novel events to proved a full afternoons entertainment to attract a newer crowd to their tracks, unhindered by the shackles of BSPL and SCB bureaucracy and red tape. The BSPL run clubs have distanced themselves from these tracks , foolishly IMO, as there surely must be a change in direction if Uk league speedway is to attract a new audience.