British Speedway Forum

Time to sack Phil Morris?

I wonder if Phil "Patsy" Morris will be pushed in front of the TV cameras tomorrow night to try and justify the actions BSPL?

Edited by iainb

Had a listen to some of his interview on the Podcast. The phrase "commercial considerations" would best sum things up, in terms of his approach to his role. We are in a far, far different world now, one in which numbers of "views" of online content and associated exposure to brand names, dictates what is done and how it is done.

Mr Morris has built himself up to be an indespensible person in terms of what he can offer and bring to the sport's promoters as their main link to this world. It's not a world I personally partake of, but I'm old and set in my ways, and I'm not speedway's future "consumer" because I'm not a social media junkie. 

Understanding and tapping into the ways in which the majority of the population now and increasingly "consume" their leisure interests is something that Mr Morris has built up an expertise in. He's clearly a highly intelligent man and the promoters are probably now quite dependent on him.

I don't follow speedway as close anymore been to 2 meetings this year after Monmore closing but have I got this right

The play offs have been determined the way the league stands with two meetings to go. The cut off has been extended but the last two meetings won't count towards the play offs 

3 minutes ago, bruno said:

I don't follow speedway as close anymore been to 2 meetings this year after Monmore closing but have I got this right

The play offs have been determined the way the league stands with two meetings to go. The cut off has been extended but the last two meetings won't count towards the play offs 

No, if they did it as it stand then would be Sheffield v Ipswich. They have assumed that Leicester will win both meetings next week and face Ipswich. 

5 minutes ago, bruno said:

Almost... Leicester have been given the draw that top spot would have got even though they are currently 2nd with 2 matches to ride... for "commercial reasons"

1st play 4th

2nd play 3rd

Sheffield are currently top, Leicester 2nd

If they can do this... what wouldn't they do?

Edited by iainb

There was a number of reasons that this had to be sorted before the weekend firstly Eurosport needed to let their OB partner need to have their trucks and what crewing is required for example going to Ipswich will require an overnight stay and staff need to book trains etc

Also as featured in press release clubs can now start promoting the meetings and riders can book flights 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, flagrag said:

There was a number of reasons that this had to be sorted before the weekend firstly Eurosport needed to let their OB partner need to have their trucks and what crewing is required for example going to Ipswich will require an overnight stay and staff need to book trains etc

Also as featured in press release clubs can now start promoting the meetings and riders can book flights 

I'll try not to shoot the messenger but this whole thing stinks!

They could have just stuck by the original cut off date and called it

They could have extended the cut off date, as they have, and let it all play out 

No! They chose the worst crooked option, to what? Appease some tin pot broadcaster who have set back the televised spectacle of Speedway 25 years!

Promoting? Don't make me laugh. They don't know the meaning of the word, the only way they "promote" these days is by sticking a few posts out on social media... if you're lucky. 

19 minutes ago, flagrag said:

Aren't Eurosport supposed to televise matches, not determine who races who, and when.

A decision could have been made for which teams were at home on which date, with opponents TBC.

After Monday, if Leicester don't beat Kings Lynn, we would know top four finishing order,.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RS50 said:

After Monday, if Leicester don't beat Kings Lynn, we would know top four finishing order,.

Very true. But if Lions do beat Stars Monday then the top four wouldn’t be known (confirmable) 
If Lions did win both matches to finish top, they would still need to pass Tigers overall aggregate “points for” or still come second. 
That said, it’s clear most folk on here totally disagree with the decision made to fix the play-offs which is entirely understandable.

Commercial Considerations could mean WBD wanted certainty on where they needed outside broadcast trucks in the UK. It appears more than coincidental that the announcement was made within a day of the original end of season date.

33 minutes ago, SJA said:

Commercial Considerations could mean WBD wanted certainty on where they needed outside broadcast trucks in the UK. It appears more than coincidental that the announcement was made within a day of the original end of season date.

If they want to know who is playing who, where and when and who is going to win, then maybe they should bid for the WWE Wrestling rights! 🤼‍♂️

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

You have forgotten the price increase because it’s the play-offs- or maybe the punters don’t get told that until they arrive lol

Well, the other week the punters didn't get told Brady Kurtz wasn't riding till they got there, so you never know....:D

56 minutes ago, iainb said:

It's all okay Patsy Morris said NFL have done it... so all good

Really? He said that? :D

Fair play if he did, very similar operationally...

In fact, the NFL must look over here at the BSP with envy burning into their cornea's...

FFS.....:D

Who is doing the "interval shows" at the Finals?

Taylor Swift? Beyonce? 

(Fill your own reply in)..;)

• Haha 1

I really thought I'd misunderstood the reasons for the play off decision but Phil Morris just said it was for commercial reasons. I've more or less given up on the sport this year , I've paid for discovery + and took out the BSN package for the championship play offs but after only attending two meetings I could be done with it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Debbi said:

In all seriousness, what happens to those who have placed bets on where clubs finish on the league table and not the result of the play-offs?! Because as it stands this is not a true outcome?

The league table is what the league table is. If you'd bet on the play off fixtures you'd have cause for grievance though... but it's okay, they did it in NFL too

How times have changed though, in 1984 when Wiggy (allegedly) got involved in a bit of race fixing it made the back pages of national newspapers... in 2024 on the race fixing's 40th anniversary they fix the pay off fixtures and nobody bats an eyelid!

Edited by iainb